Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd be surprised if almost every club didn't choose Walsh as the first player to steal from another club.

The Eagles have marked their intentions to find a new tall forward to replace the the veteran duo by picking up Brady Hough with Pick 31 and Jack Williams with Pick 57 in last month's National Draft.

Hough is a tall forward now apparently

Given his performance in the last GF that is a big no from me. Petracca on the other hand...

If 8 tackles and 7 clearances is the worst you get playing for a side that got belted by 74 points I'm not sure you're the problem. We have the guys as second receiver ticked off. We just need the dirtiest ground ball grunt in the game.

Not a media roast, more of a members roast. Part of an article in the West today. So many would dump on Masto, but no one outside the club knows what players fight through to have a career. And Masto had a good one.
Well done, Masto.

Chris Masten was diagnosed with ADHD towards the end of his AFL career.
Credit: Michael Willson/AFL Media
Retired West Coast premiership player Chris Masten details ADHD diagnosis towards end of career
Eliza ReillyThe West Australian
December 27, 2021 1:37PM
TOPICS
AFLWest Coast Eagles
Premiership Eagles midfielder Chris Masten was forced to forgo medication and manage attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms throughout his entire career after rigorous testing revealed a severe case of the condition.
Former West Coast doctor Rod Moore was the first to recognise and identify Masten’s symptoms but he didn’t get tested for the disorder until late in his career.
But even suspecting he was living with the condition, Masten was unable to take medication because it is listed as a banned substance by the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone shed some insight into what ADHD symptoms are?
I've never met anyone with diagnosed ADHD, other than naughty kids where their misbehaviour is blamed on ADHD.
How would the symptoms impact on an athlete?

Jubilant masto wasn’t a hint

I don't get it, are we not entitled to have a negative opinion on our own players?

Never rated Masten, never will. Somehow I doubt he gives a shit what I think about his career when he's made more than I ever will from his salary and played 200 career AFL games including a flag.

How dare I not kiss his arse!

I've never met anyone with diagnosed ADHD, other than naughty kids where their misbehaviour is blamed on ADHD.

Try struggling to focus on one thing all whilst 10 other things are going on in your mind and having all those things going on being able to change instant to instant.

I don't get it, are we not entitled to have a negative opinion on our own players?

Never rated Masten, never will. Somehow I doubt he gives a sh*t what I think about his career when he's made more than I ever will from his salary and played 200 career AFL games including a flag.

How dare I not kiss his arse!

Curious why you don't rate him? Apart him going at pick 3 there isn't really a knock on him imo.

Not a media roast, more of a members roast. Part of an article in the West today. So many would dump on Masto, but no one outside the club knows what players fight through to have a career. And Masto had a good one.
Well done, Masto.

Chris Masten was diagnosed with ADHD towards the end of his AFL career.
Credit: Michael Willson/AFL Media
Retired West Coast premiership player Chris Masten details ADHD diagnosis towards end of career
Eliza ReillyThe West Australian
December 27, 2021 1:37PM
TOPICS
AFLWest Coast Eagles
Premiership Eagles midfielder Chris Masten was forced to forgo medication and manage attention deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms throughout his entire career after rigorous testing revealed a severe case of the condition.
Former West Coast doctor Rod Moore was the first to recognise and identify Masten’s symptoms but he didn’t get tested for the disorder until late in his career.
But even suspecting he was living with the condition, Masten was unable to take medication because it is listed as a banned substance by the AFL.

Lol everything in that article is literally derived entirely from the latest Backchat Ep. We all take the the piss out of journos being stupidly lazy these days.... and in this instance it's entirely justified

Curious why you don't rate him? Apart him going at pick 3 there isn't really a knock on him imo.

Any time the ball came to him in a 1v1 contest be it air or ground it was basically game over. Couldn't tackle to save his life. Went to water at the slightest bit of pressure. Loved the 1 metre handballs to team-mates under more pressure than him.Terrible decision maker.

Great kick inside 50 when open and handy across the HB for the switch kick, that's about it from me.

Looked to the heavens and declared I'd forgive over a decade of his ineptitude if he drilled that absolute soda in the final quarter of the GF but he cocked it (wasn't alone there).

I don't think my analysis is perfect, but I also don't think as a fan I should be made to feel bad about being critical of a guy who gets paid handsomely to chase a ball for a living after he gets diagnosed with ADHD either, like he's overcome some almighty battle or something.

Any time the ball came to him in a 1v1 contest be it air or ground it was basically game over. Couldn't tackle to save his life. Went to water at the slightest bit of pressure. Loved the 1 metre handballs to team-mates under more pressure than him.Terrible decision maker.

Great kick inside 50 when open and handy across the HB for the switch kick, that's about it from me.

Looked to the heavens and declared I'd forgive over a decade of his ineptitude if he drilled that absolute soda in the final quarter of the GF but he cocked it (wasn't alone there).

I don't think my analysis is perfect, but I also don't think as a fan I should be made to feel bad about being critical of a guy who gets paid handsomely to chase a ball for a living after he gets diagnosed with ADHD either, like he's overcome some almighty battle or something.
Don't think anyone would question any of that. He was certainly a pretty limited player, for someone who was sub 180cm and 80kgs dripping wet those deficiencies make a lot of sense.

You certainly have to have some pretty special attributes as a player to make it in the AFL now days with an athletic profile like Masten. players like that just don't really get drafted anymore.

This is going to sound like a load of bullshit but for mine Masten was pretty invaluable in the culture/fabric of the club. Drove high training standards, brought a lot of energy and by all reports was a really popular teammate.

Obviously he had his role on gameday. Could find the footy when allowed to and in his prime like you said was an elite field kick both sides of the body. But you cant view his contributions purely through the lens of on field performance.

ADHD varies from person to person and is generally categorised into 3 types inattentive, hyperactive or combination (both inattentive and hyperactive). So the Naughty kid you're referring to is probably hyperactive/impulsive, however this can manifest in different ways. Your mind for instance can be hyperactive, it doesn't switch off. Inattentive types will struggle to concentrate, appear to be daydreamers, introverted, forgetful, careless, lazy, unmotivated and combined has traits from both. You may see someone with a tic (stimming) something like picking skin, rocking, pacing, playing with hair (these are coping mechanisms) it allows their brain to be distracted enough to help them focus on a task ( reading, writing, listening) it allows helps with anxiety which is a very common co-morbidity, ADHD w/ GAD.

The anxiety could caused from feeling like a failure your whole life, doesn't matter how much you want something, how hard you try, how close you get, how much you know you need to do something (work, tasks, school, life, sport) you somehow can't achieve it. So when someone says just try harder it hurts someone with ADHD much more than you can imagine, they are already trying 10x harder than a neuro-typical person trying to be normal.

The naughty kid you spoke about are generally the ones that are identified as kids, the inattentive and combination are often overlooked, lots of people with ADHD are intelligent yet don't finish uni or high school. Studying as an example is very difficult, you can sit there for hours trying to study, but you can't quite understand why you can't, you can't understand why your friends can sit study retain and work so easily. Careless mistakes are common, spelling, not finishing sentences, stubbing toes, it can look like you are a little uncoordinated.

Having no concept of time, its generally now or not now, which leads to problems when coupled with the above, (just schedule things earlier I hear you say, sure but that just gives me more time to get distracted), then you get to the land of hyperfocus (it is a great to be in, you can complete tasks in a matter of hours that may take a neuro-typical person weeks/days...though this comes with the problem of carelessness and little mistakes, so say you are writing a paper, you will finish the paper with amazing content, brilliant ideas, however you don't review so there is spelling mistakes and sentences that don't make sense or end early (probably because you had a great idea about something you wrote six pages ago. Going back and forth is very common, because you can't switch off the thinking about things.

So your whole life you are told you have potential, if only you tried a bit harder, took more time, you could be doing so much better, then when you constantly fail, over and over and over you begin to stop doing things, stop talking to people, because you get into a cycle of you're trying so hard, but it's not trying enough and you still fail and you say sorry all the time, because you probably failed or you said too much and then people think you're weird or rude or lazy or just not listening. You change jobs, you fk up relationships, you mess up... a lot.

ADHD affects every element of your life, your partners, work, friends, mental health, every task, every day. That said it also has so many positive aspects, creativity, passion, empathy, kindness, wit, compassion it is just a matter of trying to manage the negative as best you can. I could write way more and have probably written too much already, but emotions are also heightened in ADHD both negative and positive, probably why people with ADHD feel like they say too much, then fail, then rinse repeat.

TLDR ADHD symptom number 1 failing at normal!

Watch HowToADHD on youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/HowtoADHD her Ted talk is great.

ADHD varies from person to person and is generally categorised into 3 types inattentive, hyperactive or combination (both inattentive and hyperactive). So the Naughty kid you're referring to is probably hyperactive/impulsive, however this can manifest in different ways. Your mind for instance can be hyperactive, it doesn't switch off. Inattentive types will struggle to concentrate, appear to be daydreamers, introverted, forgetful, careless, lazy, unmotivated and combined has traits from both. You may see someone with a tic (stimming) something like picking skin, rocking, pacing, playing with hair (these are coping mechanisms) it allows their brain to be distracted enough to help them focus on a task ( reading, writing, listening) it allows helps with anxiety which is a very common co-morbidity, ADHD w/ GAD.

The anxiety could caused from feeling like a failure your whole life, doesn't matter how much you want something, how hard you try, how close you get, how much you know you need to do something (work, tasks, school, life, sport) you somehow can't achieve it. So when someone says just try harder it hurts someone with ADHD much more than you can imagine, they are already trying 10x harder than a neuro-typical person trying to be normal.

The naughty kid you spoke about are generally the ones that are identified as kids, the inattentive and combination are often overlooked, lots of people with ADHD are intelligent yet don't finish uni or high school. Studying as an example is very difficult, you can sit there for hours trying to study, but you can't quite understand why you can't, you can't understand why your friends can sit study retain and work so easily. Careless mistakes are common, spelling, not finishing sentences, stubbing toes, it can look like you are a little uncoordinated.

Having no concept of time, its generally now or not now, which leads to problems when coupled with the above, (just schedule things earlier I hear you say, sure but that just gives me more time to get distracted), then you get to the land of hyperfocus (it is a great to be in, you can complete tasks in a matter of hours that may take a neuro-typical person weeks/days...though this comes with the problem of carelessness and little mistakes, so say you are writing a paper, you will finish the paper with amazing content, brilliant ideas, however you don't review so there is spelling mistakes and sentences that don't make sense or end early (probably because you had a great idea about something you wrote six pages ago. Going back and forth is very common, because you can't switch off the thinking about things.

So your whole life you are told you have potential, if only you tried a bit harder, took more time, you could be doing so much better, then when you constantly fail, over and over and over you begin to stop doing things, stop talking to people, because you get into a cycle of you're trying so hard, but it's not trying enough and you still fail and you say sorry all the time, because you probably failed or you said too much and then people think you're weird or rude or lazy or just not listening. You change jobs, you fk up relationships, you mess up... a lot.

ADHD affects every element of your life, your partners, work, friends, mental health, every task, every day. That said it also has so many positive aspects, creativity, passion, empathy, kindness, wit, compassion it is just a matter of trying to manage the negative as best you can. I could write way more and have probably written too much already, but emotions are also heightened in ADHD both negative and positive, probably why people with ADHD feel like they say too much, then fail, then rinse repeat.

Watch HowToADHD on youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/HowtoADHD her Ted talk is great.
Still think it’s over diagnosed to a large degree. Now it’s Asperger’s that is flavour of the day

Still think it’s over diagnosed to a large degree. Now it’s Asperger’s that is flavour of the day
:shrug: how do you think we should improve the diagnosis?

The Gtrain your post was really interesting and informative. As someone who works with students who have been disengaged from school for various reasons, I can relate to what you are talking about.

Recently doctors and psychologists have discovered that a lot of ADHD symptoms are similar to Complex Trauma, or Complex PTSD. As a result, there is an emerging belief that, whilst ADHD remains a significant diagnosis for many children, a number of children previously diagnosed with ADHD actually are suffering from complex trauma. In those cases, medication won't resolve the issue.

A definition of complex trauma would include an emotional injury caused by cumulative events, usually involving immediate caregivers, and including physical, emotional, sexual abuse or neglect. If complex trauma begins when a child is in the first few years of life it can really affect their sense of self, relationships, cognitive and sensory processing, behaviour...

If you have a look at the National Child and Traumatic Stress Network, you may notice that a lot of the symptoms and resultant effects on a child's life are similar to ADHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back