If we lost Hurley to GC17

Remove this Banner Ad

They'll have to pry him from my own dead hands...

[YOUTUBE]bQXdrTJXc-c[/YOUTUBE]

Seriously though, he's a Victorian, has lots of family here, good mates too, loves the club and is treated very well. His admiration of Fletcher is enough in itself to make me believe that he'll stay.

Hopefully. :thumbsu:

If Hurley was offered 3 million over 5 years, do you think essendon would match it? Gold coast has alot of money and while at Essendon he has his family and friends, it's just a question of what is worth more to him.

I think a $1.5 over 3 would be what we might try to sell him on, and convince him how much earning potential above that he'd have beyond that for years 4-6.

Such a delicate balancing act for the EFC now though with this in terms of internal punishments for the alleged cabbie incident. Need to punish him enough to keep the AFL and general public happy, but not too much to push him away from re-signing.

They'll have to pry him from my own dead hands...

[youtube]bQXdrTJXc-c[/youtube]

Seriously though, he's a Victorian, has lots of family here, good mates too, loves the club and is treated very well. His admiration of Fletcher is enough in itself to make me believe that he'll stay.

Hopefully. :thumbsu:
I :heart: Hurley.

Have to take a bit of confidence that

- Hurley is a local, Rosanna boy. Has family here.
- Good mates with Zaharakis and Still
- Reports are he is happy at the club
- We have a lot of cap space to match any offer the GC throws at him

If we match what the GC throw at him, which will be over the odds, then you would have to be pretty confident that he would stay. The club knows how important he is to our future.

Anyone know when contract negotiations would take place?
Will we have to wait until the end of the season?
Know how you feel. Carlton has Gibbs out of contract too and we are holding our breath until we hear news of him re-signing.
As for Hurley, a 5 year deal is going to be hard for him to knock back. He also has a brother living in Qld.

Know how you feel. Carlton has Gibbs out of contract too and we are holding our breath until we hear news of him re-signing.
As for Hurley, a 5 year deal is going to be hard for him to knock back. He also has a brother living in Qld.

Doubt he would be offered 5 yrs, and doubt he would accept that duration. Only because as someone else previously stated, in 3 yrs time he might command something around 800k per yr, if he got offered say a contract of 2.5Mil over 5 yrs, its only 500k per yr (alot for any of us) but if he is after the $$ you would think he will back himself to build for the next contract.
I guess its just me wishfully thinking but thats the logic im looking at the duration of contract with.. Hopefully we match whatever they throw at him, we can afford a marquee player and that plays in our favour (unlike geelong for GAJ or even you guys with Gibbs, because your paying alot atm for Judd etc.) so hopefully something will be worked out..

we can match any offer! not sure if you guys can with gibbs though! its going to suck for a lot of clubs thats for sure!

Love the video. Certainly paints a different picture to some of the 'arrogant ********' lines that certain anti-Essendon posters are peddling ;).

Has taken the famous #18 i think it shows how much he loves and respects the club and its players. Im very confident he will sign and do the right thing by the club..we might dodge a bullet with hurley but if some of our young guns keep improving..we might lose a player to western sydney in a couple of years. We must have some room in the salary cap with lloyd lucas mcphee and lovett gone.

No reason to shoot the messnger.

I didn't. That's why I said I wasn't having a go at you.

I simply used your post as a springboard to segue into what I wanted to say about how unfair the compensation is. While clubs may have agreed I doubt they were given the specifics of the compensation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i know its an early call, but surely he is pretty much guaranteed to be the next captain, i know that jobe hasnt even started his fulltime captains role yet, but hes 5years older than Hurley. and im not sure it would suit ryder he is seems to be a fletcher type that likes to do his work in the background!

If u lose Hurley to GC17 I may feel better about our drafting team selecting Yarran over Rich.
On second thought..................... nothing will ever repair that sought of damage.
Seriously, if GC17 really want Hurley they will get him. What 18 year old would knock back 600k a year to live 5 minutes from the best beach in the world.
The sad thing is he really will be that good its scary.

I know his shown some serious talent, but captain? come on, hurley has played one season and just committed a moderately serious offfield indiscretion, and we're talking about the Essendon Captainship held by Hird, Lloyd and their ilk. I'm sorry, no matter how good his performance onfield, until his shown he can be reliable offfield over a long period there is no way i would even consider him for captain.

If u lose Hurley to GC17 I may feel better about our drafting team selecting Yarran over Rich.
On second thought..................... nothing will ever repair that sought of damage.
Seriously, if GC17 really want Hurley they will get him. What 18 year old would knock back 600k a year to live 5 minutes from the best beach in the world.
The sad thing is he really will be that good its scary.

lol!!!! thats so hilarious!! its a hole of a beach!! i could name 10 victorian beaches better than that!!

FLOL!!!!!!!!!! I'd be worrying more about losing the next Carey than arguing about my rating of the Gold Coast.

im not worried one bit, we can pay him 600k and he can live at whatever beach he wants..

i wouldn't be too concerned - at essendon currently there is plenty of room with the salary cap. they ignored approaching luke ball to retain players of hurley's ilk.

already lucas, lloyd and mcphee have departed freeing up a lot of room with mark williams effectively replacing lovett in terms of salary. throw in fletcher's imminent retirement and the elevations of hille and mcveigh to veteran's status halving their salary the bombers have plenty to offer.

other players over 150k:

watson - will be receiving some of his salary as a marketing payment due to being the captain and face of the club which is not included in cap.

stanton
monfries
winderlich
prismall
welsh
dempsey
pears
davey
ryder
m.williams
reimers

thats actually not that many compared to most clubs.

next one up is hurley and he will get a very reasonable offer from the dons and the lure of team success whilst the gold coast find their feet should be more than enough to keep him at windy hill.

well if we lose Gazza all we seem to be getting is one pick after our first round pick which if we finish top four will be in the 20's...

If thats all we are getting for the best player in the game, good luck getting much more than that for a future star...

The AFL has fu**ed us all here..

This is the hardest part of the deal to swallow. The fact that you can't get market value for a player that a club has drafted/developed.

Remove this Banner Ad

If we lost Hurley to GC17

Remove this Banner Ad

Back