If we want to win a flag this year...

Remove this Banner Ad

Staker is over-rated, and lucky to have stayed in the side this long.
I say he should be traded while he's still young and considered to be worth something.

He's a pretty good mark but thats about it, and doesn't kick enough goals for someone who has played in the forward line 90 % of the time.

As for the other points, I think Gunner is on the right track.
Hunter is too good a mark and kick to not play forward most of the time. Good to have the option of using him in the backline, but would worry teams more in the forward line for us.

Not so sure about waters playing forward tho, got enough other small forward options, and he's done alot of good hard things running off half back this season.

TheReason said:
Talking about trading Staker is way too premature.

He's going to be a late, late bloomer. I don't expect to see the best of him until he's circa 25-27 or so.

Needs to bulk up a lot more.

Fell off the pace, after he landed awkwardly in the square, Round 6i'sh and twisting his knee. Till that point, he was a dominating contested mark player. Wouldn't be surprised to know he's been carrying an injury since.

For mine, had a better year last year playing the backline.... until the GF.

Agree, has turned to Captain Butter Fingers in the Finals.

Give him some time, will come good.

This really is a debate that should wait until the season is over, but Staker really does seem to be a Mitchell White type.

And you sometimes need to trade quality for quality. We can't expect to land a good deal by trading the likes of McDougall, Gaspar or Gardiner.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
That is what we need him to do.

Think about our best back 6.

Waters isn't in that group. Not when you have 3 talls, with Selwood, Chick and Wirrpanda.

I forgot about the new mandate that you need to have 6 and only 6 defenders and they can't switch positions during a game.

Question - When Hunter kicked his 2 early goals while playing on Grant in defence, did he leave Grant alone when running forward or did someone else pick up Grant (indicating a premeditated game plan)

Wasn't at the game and it was hard to pickup on the TV.

The thing with playing Hunter as a permanant forward is he'll get the one defender for the whole game which means no lucky matchups like Morris or Griffen. Having said that there's something appealing about going into a game with Lynch, Hunter and Hansen as our tall forwards.

As for Staker, all he's good for at the moment is forcing the opposition to play an extra tall defender. I guess when you consider that he gets the third tall back most weeks his season hasn't been great but he is 4th in our goal kicking (24) and it's not a good idea to go trading talls when you don't know what they'll end up like in a few years. I remember I thought we should've traded Lynch after last season because I didn't think his value would ever get higher than that. :eek:

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Really?

Who?

Mate what planet do you live on??

Steven Aromstrong is capable of developing into a great goalkicking small forward, Mark Le Cras will get better with time, plus the hundreds (excuse the exaggeration) of spare midfielders we have are always getting a stint in a forward pocket to rest (think Embley and Judd).

Are seriously telling me that Beau Waters doesn't remind you of a young John Worsfold, busting through packs with that aggression?? And where did Woosha play his whole career??

The only way Beau Waters won't play defence for the rest of this year is if Mark Nicoski comes back, but I doubt that'll happen. Until then, it is great to have Beau running off half-back giving us drive to half-forward (anyone remember the St Kilda game @ Telstra Dome when Beau had 34 touches and cleaned up off half-back??).

And yes sometimes he does get a run forward, he started forward against Sydney in the Qualifying Final. But he won't stay just in the forward line, it's just not a sensible move...

I wouldn't be trading Brent Staker just yet. I have a feeling he could improve significantly similiar to Lynch or Hunter...............if not he'll take the Mcdougal path. Besides, you wouldn't get much for Staker.

I want to win THE flag this year........... so badly!!!!!

I feel like Gollum, for it is truly, "MY PRECIOUS"

Has anyone got any Valium? I'm not going to sleep for the next 5 nights if I dont get something to help me. ANd then when we win against Adelaide, I wont be sleepng again for another week!!!

This is ridiculous, I never believed someone could eat , drink, sleep and fart football. In actual fact I'm currently learning how to fart the Eagles Team Song in G.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fullbull said:
Mate what planet do you live on??

Steven Aromstrong is capable of developing into a great goalkicking small forward, Mark Le Cras will get better with time, plus the hundreds (excuse the exaggeration) of spare midfielders we have are always getting a stint in a forward pocket to rest (think Embley and Judd).
Wait a second.

You said we had enough options as a small forward.

Steven Armstrong is one.

LeCras won't play another game this season.

And then you mention two midfielders who are 6'2-6'3.

Interesting.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Look at Adelaide and Sydney.

Tell me who Hunter should play on in defence against those sides.

Is he more valuable in defence than in attack?

I know where our greatest need for someone who can take a contested mark lies.

But if we cop a run-on of goals to the opposition, changes are inevitable, and he will be swung back.

Also our defensive pressure right across the ground is something we need to maintain if we are to firstly beat Adelaide, then play in a GF. We did an excellent job against the Bulldogs and also the St.Kilda match at Telstra Dome was another good example of us pressuring the opposition into mistakes.

Cuzz09 said:

1. Beat Adelaide

2. Beat Sydney or Fremantle.

Welcome back Cuzz09 ;)

You forgot to mention that we need the team to fly to Adelaide, preferably on some kind of jet-powered transportation device, and that we'll need to pack our uniforms and studded football boots to insure we meet the appropriate AFL standards for competition.

Now is there anything else we've forgotten?

halfbackflanker said:
You forgot to mention that we need the team to fly to Adelaide, preferably on some kind of jet-powered transportation device, and that we'll need to pack our uniforms and studded football boots to insure we meet the appropriate AFL standards for competition.

Now is there anything else we've forgotten?

Kick more "total" score than the opposition - because if you say to kick more "goals" you could still lose if the other team kicks more behinds.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh:thumbsu:

You would have to drop the selfish pretty boy style that characterises your crap club and play as a team which you haven't done since 1994.

also you will probably have to beat the Dockers in the GF which you haven't done this year either.

Uncle Alby said:
You would have to drop the selfish pretty boy style that characterises your crap club and play as a team which you haven't done since 1994.

also you will probably have to beat the Dockers in the GF which you haven't done this year either.

Thanks I'll tell the coach.

Uncle Alby said:

Still room on that bandwagon? I'm sure a few more will want to jump on next week in the unlikely event the Shockers make the GF...

Uncle Alby said:

That's because the GF hasn't been held yet.

Uncle Alby said:

Speaking of things that haven't been done, where are Fremantle's premiership cups kept?
Oh yeah...

Uncle Alby said:

But you guys have never been in a GF so how can this be true?

H&A, London games, pre-season games are NOT Grand Finals.

But that doesnt matter to your mob because none of you can get over ther fact that you've actually beaten WCE 4 times in a row!

Well done. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back