If you're going to abuse a telemarketer...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had one indian guy trying to sell me life insurance. it was all civil until i said not interested. He then came back with something along the lines of "your family is not important enough for you to get life insurance?"

i said to him " dont you fu**ing dare tell me what's important to me and my family, how dare you, and if i do ever get life insurance it will be as sure as hell that i wont be buying it from your company. you can bloody note that down, now good-day and dont you ever call this number again."

I'm usually patient with people (even telemarketers, sales people on the street and the like), and i dont usually let rip, but in that instance i got really angry. This experience has also made me think in my sub-conscious mind that all indian people are pushy pricks, apart from the ones i know personally.

They just hang up. They never say that they're "not interested". Therefore I can't mark them as "Not Interested". Harsh world but I've gotta make the call :p

Then don't bitch when people treat you like shit.

You know they aren't interested but make it so that they receive another call.

i said to him " dont you fu**ing dare tell me what's important to me and my family, how dare you, and if i do ever get life insurance it will be as sure as hell that i wont be buying it from your company. you can bloody note that down, now good-day and dont you ever call this number again."

I bet you're a bogan.
You are, aren't you?

That sounds like something a Sunshine/Footscray bogan would get b1tchy over and completely over react.

i hate getting telemarketer calls but at the end of the day its just someone doing their job.
I dont mind people doing their job as long as they dont bother me and unfortunately for these no hopers have no future and its more likely they wont last too long in the job and end up in the dole queue

He might be a bogan but that telemarketer crossed the line in a big way

yeh definately i would have reacted the same

The telemarketer asks it as everyone will say that they care about their family, which gives him an opening to continue pitching his sales pitch.

People that answer no to him are obviously being smartar.ses and he takes it as his queue to end the call.

He wasn't genuinely questioning i_hate_scams family values, so no point to get angry over it. The telemarketer will move onto the next call, you'll be sitting at home seething. And we all know hate leads to the dark side.

The telemarketer asks it as everyone will say that they care about their family, which gives him an opening to continue pitching his sales pitch.

People that answer no to him are obviously being smartar.ses and he takes it as his queue to end the call.

He wasn't genuinely questioning i_hate_scams family values, so no point to get angry over it. The telemarketer will move onto the next call, you'll be sitting at home seething. And we all know hate leads to the dark side.

Exactly, pretty obvious really. I'ts rather sad the amount of people that had such a short fuse and get very defensive over something that should be like water off a duck's back/

i guess it's all in the context. It was more the way he said it and the fact that i already said no afew times before that comment. But then again having another think about it, it might be just their culture. Knowing afew indians myself they are quiet Inquisitive and not afaird to ask really personal questions. Questions that are absolutely unacceptable here but perfectly acceptable in their culture.

having said that, he was very Condersending in his tone of voice, and that really doesnt help him trying to make a sale from me. btw, i was actually ok after i gave him a piece of my mind.

Exactly, pretty obvious really. I'ts rather sad the amount of people that had such a short fuse and get very defensive over something that should be like water off a duck's back/

well, it's kinda like getting a f** you in these two context

example 1: "f*** you" when mucking around with your friends.
example 2: "f*** you" from someone you have just cut off in traffic.

same words, different meaning.

I dont mind people doing their job as long as they dont bother me and unfortunately for these no hopers have no future and its more likely they wont last too long in the job and end up in the dole queue

i would hardly call them no hopers - most of them are at uni - you know studying things like law that will make them better then most of the people they call. its just a way to get through uni that pays decently and fits in with uni hours.

also, in one of my classes last year we watched a documentry on call centers in India - its actually a good job there - like the most educated people do it and they get payed awesomely for it. i was talking to a manager at work the other day who is Indian and he said when he was over there he was a head manager at a big hotel and he got payed like a quarter of what these telemarketers get paid. not much by our standards but over there its amazing.

so yeah just something to think about...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Insult my intelligence - interesting sales technique!

Sadly for all cold callers, whether they be by phone or at my door they are wasting their time with me as I have a policy of never giving these people a cent of my hard earned

Insult my intelligence - interesting sales technique!

Sadly for all cold callers, whether they be by phone or at my door they are wasting their time with me as I have a policy of never giving these people a cent of my hard earned

He wasn't isulting your intelligence by the sounds of it at all. I'm sorry that you took it that way.

Dont kid yourself, its a level above a parking inspector.

Who cares?
I've heard the money is very decent if you do well and after all isn't that what working is all about?

Sounds like quite a fun job actually and if someone abused me I'd just shrug it off and do what MWNN does and put them on the "callback later list" 'cause I'm a spiteful prick. :)

Who cares?
I've heard the money is very decent if you do well and after all isn't that what working is all about?

Sounds like quite a fun job actually and if someone abused me I'd just shrug it off and do what MWNN does and put them on the "callback later list" 'cause I'm a spiteful prick. :)
Tis a fun job. It's great for your self esteem. You realise how much smarter you are than the average Australian.

By god there's some idiots out there.

i did try it once or twice during uni

not for me. you really have to be able to take alot of rejection. im just not used to that lol

i mean, you get down to your 17th straight 'No' - and you're like shiiiiiit, can i go home? lol

i did door to door market research once and kept getting rejection after rejection till i ____ed off and went and hung out for the rest of the day, and reported that noone responded. needless to say, i wasnt called back for the next shift

matter of fact, ive had so many part time jobs as a kid that i just gave up on in the first day. pizza delivery driver too, gave it one shot and left it

i did try it once or twice during uni

not for me. you really have to be able to take alot of rejection. im just not used to that lol

i mean, you get down to your 17th straight 'No' - and you're like shiiiiiit, can i go home? lol

i did door to door market research once and kept getting rejection after rejection till i ____ed off and went and hung out for the rest of the day, and reported that noone responded. needless to say, i wasnt called back for the next shift

matter of fact, ive had so many part time jobs as a kid that i just gave up on in the first day. pizza delivery driver too, gave it one shot and left it
There is a high attrition rate. I started with a group of about 8 or 9. Within 3 weeks it was down to 3.

i would hardly call them no hopers - most of them are at uni - you know studying things like law that will make them better then most of the people they call. its just a way to get through uni that pays decently and fits in with uni hours.

My sister is studying law and she has never even thought about telemarketing. There are a lot better jobs out there for law students that will actually help them in their career.

The thing about telemarketers that pisses me off is that you say no and they still bloody try to talk you into the product, I mean it's not like I'm gonna bloody change my mind.

My sister is studying law and she has never even thought about telemarketing. There are a lot better jobs out there for law students that will actually help them in their career.

im also studying law and i have many friends who do telemarketing. yeah there are better jobs out there for law students but there bloody hard to get, not too mention most places want you at least two week days a week and while we may not have uni, we desperatly need that time to study so for many telemarketing is a good option because u can work short shifts and still get good money - it also gives you time to do all the volunteering stuff we need on our CV during the day and go to work at night still. for first and second year law students and other students as well, its often one of the few options that lets you work shifts that are short, pay well and work around your uni and study schedules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back