News Insightful and Inciteful - 2022 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
? We're following their protocols. We even kicked out Darling for not meeting the vaccination deadline. Should the players be in hazmat suits all the time? They've all been exposed through their families too coughnotRichmondclubbingcoughcough.
Never mind that our actual issue is our horrendous injury list, not covid

? We're following their protocols. We even kicked out Darling for not meeting the vaccination deadline. Should the players be in hazmat suits all the time? They've all been exposed through their families too coughnotRichmondclubbingcoughcough.

Also Covid wasn't here. We've probably had less covid cases than every other club (bar Freo)

I won't defend the comments overall because they're ridiculous, but I'd be pretty disappointed in the club if they did try help Darling's bullshit push for a medical exemption.
Everyone's always complaining about our medical team, maybe we've brought in an ovarian doctor to right the ship

For someone who likes so much to claim moral superiority I would have thought she would excuse herself from a tv show sitting next to a president who made and presided over racist behavior, a coach who paid hush money to cover up a sexual harassment allegation and matthew “Jim ross”lloyd.

For someone who likes so much to claim moral superiority I would have thought she would excuse herself from a tv show sitting next to a president who made and presided over racist behavior, a coach who paid hush money to cover up a sexual harassment allegation and matthew “Jim ross”lloyd.
Dunno about this one. Having an illness isn’t equal to the other examples from the other panellists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caro ridiculous....'West Coast not disrespecting.'...whatever.
AFL frustration....whatever
Jack Darling has issues with certain vaccinations, then gets vaccinated with one of his choice, but the whole club is tainted according to Caro. No mention of individuals personal choice...clubs' fault for Jack's beliefs, not backing the player apparently.
WCE no respect for covid...I'm loving this arrogance, gonna be a great season
*Caro lost the plot

The media as a whole is just ridiculous but footy media takes the cake, half are just mouthpieces for the AFL the other half trying to outdo each other with ridiculous takes. In what other world or industry could a nimrod like Tom Browne rise up the ranks to be one of the more senior people in his field?

Just report the facts boneheads or do you want another club you need to apologise and go soft on for a few years like you'll do with Adelaide now?

Seriously, just competing with Kane Cornes for air time.

West Coast EaglesAFL
OPINION

Kane Cornes: West Coast Eagles ignored the warning signs and they’re in for more pain in the 2022 AFL season​

Kane CornesThe West Australian
Tue, 15 March 2022 7:00PM
Comments
Kane Cornes

West Coast’s struggles from 2021 are set to continue in 2022.
West Coast’s struggles from 2021 are set to continue in 2022. Credit: Jono Searle/AFL Photos/via AFL Photos

It is that time of the year for gazing into football’s crystal ball.
Some clairvoyants will tell you that some birds, including the eagle, will bring you good fortune and success.
Eagles, Swans and Hawks have lived up to that promise with five of the past 10 AFL flags.

The West Coast Eagles depart Lathlain today for the Perth Airport: Photo by [PLAYERCARD]Michael Wilson[/PLAYERCARD]

ON THE ROAD?Eagles would ‘embrace’ interstate hub stint: McGovern​

Eliza Reilly

West Perth captain [PLAYERCARD]Aaron Black[/PLAYERCARD] has been invited to train at West Coast.

TRAINING INVITATIONBlack in blue and gold? Eagles call on West Perth skipper​

Mitchell Woodcock

But West Coast would be hard pressed to believe their Eagle will bring any joy this season after all the turmoil the club has endured during the summer.
Before a ball has been kicked in anger, West Coast’s playing fortunes are in tatters.
Glance at the Eagles’ injury list. It makes for sombre reading.
Key players Oscar Allen, Jamie Cripps, Luke Shuey, Tom Cole, Liam Duggan, Sam Petrevski-Seaton, Elliot Yeo and Dom Sheed, new draftee Campbell Chesser and even top-up recruit Tom Joyce all have had disrupted pre-seasons through significant injuries.
This substantial casualty ward has added to the unease created by key forward Jack Darling flip-flopping on his COVID vaccination.
How long will West Coast fans put up with the lack of success?
How long will West Coast fans put up with the lack of success? Credit: Paul Kane/via AFL Photos
All this has left the embattled club in the eye of a perfect storm.

After months away from the team, Darling last week returned to the club to train but injury has sidelined him.
So much for clairvoyants.
Coach Adam Simpson would be justified to blame the club’s woes purely on bad luck. However, that would be lazy analysis and would mask the sustained errors the Eagles have made in preparing this squad for the inevitable cliff that is about to collapse under this playing group.
The warning signs have been there for some time. A year ago, my conclusion was: “It is premiership or bust for West Coast this year.”
The Eagles were entering 2021 with the league’s third-oldest player list, a lack of elite talent advancing to the best 22 and a long line of veterans who are showing the scars of their long campaigns by battling chronic injuries.
West Coast were to — and did — suffer past list management mistakes such as neglecting elite talent in the national draft.
The club continues to pay a hefty price for signing underperforming senior players such as Andrew Gaff, Tim Kelly and Jeremy McGovern to multi-year, multi-million-dollar contracts.
There is no wriggle room in the club’s busting salary cap.

You do not need to look hard in any crystal ball to see the wreck that is coming.
My pre-season forecast declared: “West Coast is on the last roll of the dice with their current squad. It’s win in 2021 for the Eagles ... or prepare for the rebuild.”
Not only did the Eagles not win the premiership last season, they finished a disappointing ninth.
In a familiar tale Shuey, Yeo, Liam Ryan and McGovern missed 37 of a collective 88 games last season.
Simpson’s men limped home with two wins and seven losses in the last nine rounds of the home-and-away season.

It was obvious the club needed to make tough decisions even before the season closed to start aggressively rebuilding its playing squad, just as Adelaide and North Melbourne have recently done.
Instead of saying farewell to club legends Shannon Hurn and Josh Kennedy (both 34) into retirement with a nice testimonial, the duo were signed on new deals.

The club had only one pick inside the top 30 of the recent AFL national draft. It called on Chesser with pick No. 14.
It is 12 years since the club last had a top-10 draft pick (Andrew Gaff at No. 4 in 2010). During the same period, last year’s premiers Melbourne has had seven selections in the top 10, including 2021 Norm Smith medallist Christian Petracca.
Instead of handing the captaincy to a younger, more durable player who is capable of leading the team into a new era — such as midfielder Dom Sheed — Shuey was given the nod as skipper again.
[PLAYERCARD]Kane Cornes[/PLAYERCARD] believes West Coast should have made Dom Sheed captain in 2022.
Kane Cornes believes West Coast should have made Dom Sheed captain in 2022. Credit: Paul Kane/AFL Photos
He turns 32 this season and has missed 20 games in the past two seasons. He is again battling a hamstring injury and is no certainty for Sunday’s season opener against Gold Coast.
West Coast ignored the warning signs. The Eagles were seduced into thinking this squad had one last tilt at a flag.
The consequences will be devastating and the lack of results will test the patience of the club’s passionate supporter base.
You do not need to look hard in any crystal ball to see the wreck that is coming.
And do not let the “unlucky” events and excuses from the off-season hide the mistakes that have and continue to be made.

I normally defend Caro, especially when Eddie would go full Eddie on her or when people would pile on her and then she's proven right (like the disharmony at Hawthorn before Clarko walked), but this one is impossible to defend and makes no sense.

Now if she had a go at our fitness staff/the surface of Lathlain and Optus/shithouse tackling, then go for it.

In short, agree with me or GTFO.

Have to agree with Kane Cornes.

Should never kept the captaincy with Shuey (available Round 1). Would have been much better going to a more durable young player like Dom Sheed (ankle injury, unavailable).

Must be nice to wake up in the morning and just spout shit that nuffies will click on in an outrage, cashing your cheque for you.

That was a rambling mess of an article from Cornes. The premise is fine, I don’t think anyone disputes that we are going to be going through a heavy transition period/rebuild. But the captaincy one was a bit of a head scratcher. Sheed hasn’t ever been talked of as a leader has he? If going for the “youngster” taking over as skipper, surely Oscar Allen or Liam Duggan would be more appropriate?

As for Caroline, well I have time for her general, but I seriously don’t get the COVID comments. Unless she has some evidence of us (WCE) not adhering to protocols etc. then I would say those comments are baseless and ridiculous.

That was a rambling mess of an article from Cornes.

No shit, I'm wondering if anyone proof read it.

One thing I do dislike is "I told you so" campaigners. That's great Kane, you got one right - broken clock etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back