Is Brisbane the worst top two side ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

So what we've established, is that if the current Brisbane side were to meet any other top 2 team in history, they would walk out onto the field, and when they go to kick the ball, their foot would suddenly think 'hang on I've played heaps at the Gabba so I won't be able to direct this kick where it is supposed to go' and this pattern would continue throughout the game, and they would lose 100 per cent of those games.

We are, indeed, through the looking glass.

Clearly the tide will turn (quickly due to the circumstances?), but I was very thankful for the QF match up last year.

They Just seem to not have that 5th gear up when it matters.
Nah we just don’t match up well with Richmond. Doesn’t help when we have 6 more scoring shots and lose by 8 goals either...
We match up well against West Coast, Port, GWS. I believe you’ve lost to two of those sides this year. Everyone has teams they match up well against and poorly against. Get over it.

They wouldn't be in the top 4 if they weren't gifted nearly every game at home due to a once in a generation type pandemic season.

So yes, they're one of the worst top sides ever due to circumstances strongly favouring them that might not ever happen again.

They wouldn't be in the top 4 if they weren't gifted nearly every game at home due to a once in a generation type pandemic season.

So yes, they're one of the worst top sides ever due to circumstances strongly favouring them that might not ever happen again.
Finished second last year and we are a better team this year. Go figure.

Finished second on ladder last year travelled interstate 10 times, Richmond 5 times.

your mum

Spot on there.They got a cosy ride by the afl.Then your clubs in the hub that a made to travel to outside the hub interstate while they stay in QLD.

WC and Port haven't played 8 at A0, let alone 14 or whatever in the same state.

I don't see why one team got it so easy, why didn't the other 6 non QLD/Vic teams get a cosy run too?
For those that think the Lions never left the state, below is their game venues for 2020.
I just used the Eagles as a comparison.
Also note that Cazalys in Cairns is 1700 km (flying distance) from Brisbane. With Brisbane to Melbourne 1380 km & Brisbane to Adelaide 1608 km as a comparison.

The last round game is TBC so not included below.
Bris v Carl. This game will be at either Metricon or The Gabba

WCE v North. Likely Metricon or The Gabba but not necessarily.
If the Eagles can not be knocked out of what is usually a home final i believe the AFL will play this last game at Optus and then the first final also at Optus.
The AFL have left a 9 day gap between the last and second last Eagles fixture to allow this to happen. Seven days quarantine before playing
The AFL have stated that the Eagles can only play the first final at Optus due to the present WA Government Covid restrictions.
The AFL will want to maximum crowds for the finals as much as practicable.

But what would be better for the Eagles premiership hopes.
Staying put in Brisbane and getting used to the grounds at The Gabba & Metricon
Or flying home 1 or 2 weeks before the finals only having to return to Brisbane to finish the season??.

VenueBrisbane LionsWest Coast Eagles
The Gabba84
Optus Stadium Perth07
Metricon- Gold Coast45
Melbourne Cricket ground10
GWS Showgrounds10
Sydney Cricket Ground10
Cazalys - Cairns10

Last edited:

So a bit like Richmond then in the previous years.

(I don't actually believe that, but Richmond had what.. 13 games at the MCG last year, and Brisbane have nowhere near that many at the Gabba this year.)

So a bit like Richmond then in the previous years.

(I don't actually believe that, but Richmond had what.. 13 games at the MCG last year, and Brisbane have nowhere near that many at the Gabba this year.)

13 games because we coshare our home ground with 6 other clubs at the G you aware of that out of our hands.Really shows your mentality linking our success to our fixture.

13 games because we coshare our home ground with 6 other clubs at the G you aware of that out of our hands.Really shows your mentality linking our success to our fixture.
You’d finish bottom 4 if u had to travel as much as the mighty lions u knuckle head. Now if your gonna reply to a post , reply to all them don’t chose which ones u want to reply to

Literally half the people in this thread are...... linking Brisbane's success to their fixture. So they can do it, but no one can do it back.

Who writes these rules anyway? Is there a charter that I signed as an infant that these were among the rules of life that I needed to live by?

Literally half the people in this thread are...... linking Brisbane's success to their fixture. So they can do it, but no one can do it back.

Who writes these rules anyway? Is there a charter that I signed as an infant that these were among the rules of life that I needed to live by?

Credit to the lions they still need to win the games.I got no problem with the fixtures.The issue is why haven't they been put up in a hub like most interstate clubs example eagles and Freo been twice.

Playing at the G is a part of the reason for Richmond's success.

Drafting well and fixing a losing culture are another 2 parts.

Richmond have done it well.

The AFL is an unequal competition, there are so many parts that are not equal.

Travel
Distribution of funds
Scheduling of matches
Geography
Drafting
Ground sizes
Membership numbers
Ticket prices
Training facilities
Experienced board members
Coaches experience

Most are out of a clubs control, some are good at managing these inequalities, others are poor.

You can only play what is in front of you and control how you react to each challenge.

Brisbane has been very poor, until Fagan, Noble and co came along. Now we are better, but no club can rest on its success for too long, you must always be moving forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Credit to the lions they still need to win the games.I got no problem with the fixtures.The issue is why haven't they been put up in a hub like most interstate clubs example eagles and Freo been twice.
They were going to hub in Sydney, with NSW clubs and a couple of Victorian clubs, bit the cases blew up in NSW.

Playing at the G is a part of the reason for Richmond's success.

Drafting well and fixing a losing culture are another 2 parts.

Richmond have done it well.

The AFL is an unequal competition, there are so many parts that are not equal.

Travel
Distribution of funds
Scheduling of matches
Geography
Drafting
Ground sizes
Membership numbers
Ticket prices
Training facilities
Experienced board members
Coaches experience

Most are out of a clubs control, some are good at managing these inequalities, others are poor.

You can only play what is in front of you and control how you react to each challenge.

Brisbane has been very poor, until Fagan, Noble and co came along. Now we are better, but no club can rest on its success for too long, you must always be moving forward.

Great post mate not bias looked at all aspects.

You’d finish bottom 4 if u had to travel as much as the mighty lions u knuckle head. Now if your gonna reply to a post , reply to all them don’t chose which ones u want to reply to

Literally a bunch of Richmond supporters are linking it, in Brisbane’s case. I said I didn’t believe it, merely pointing out how easy it is to switch the argument around. No matter how much one talks of a team having an advantage, it is easy to point to one that another team has.

All in all, people need to stop sooking , especially Melb clubs.

Won two premierships from 2nd, will win three more before gold coast win 1/fold. Locking in no

Richmond $1.57 favourite on Brisbane's home turf.

Would seem the betting markets agree with the OP's premise.

That Richmond team also happens the be the $3.20 favourite for the flag.

If the betting markets agreed with the OP, then how come we’re second favourite for the premiership?

How the hell do the betting markets support that this is the worst top two team ever? WTF are you even on about?

The betting markets allow literally for two things - team A, and team B. They don't include a metric based around Fitzroy finishing on top of the ladder 100 years ago. They are based purely on the fact that Richmond are a hardened, premiership winning team that has shown it can do it at the business end when it counts. Brisbane haven't. How in blue blazes does a betting market support the rather stupid and at any rate unproveable supposition made by the OP?

How the hell do the betting markets support that this is the worst top two team ever? WTF are you even on about?

The betting markets allow literally for two things - team A, and team B. They don't include a metric based around Fitzroy finishing on top of the ladder 100 years ago. They are based purely on the fact that Richmond are a hardened, premiership winning team that has shown it can do it at the business end when it counts. Brisbane haven't. How in blue blazes does a betting market support the rather stupid and at any rate unproveable supposition made by the OP?

You'd think Brisbane would be favourite given they finished ahead of Richmond, playing on their home ground, in front of their fans.

Instead Richmond are almost unbackable favourites.

If Richmond were playing Geelong this week I think Richmond would be $1.80 despite it being a neutral game.

But they're $1.57 playing on Brisbane's home ground.

This is probably why OP calls them the worst top two side ever.

Brisbane have a Richmond problem, a yips problem, and Andrews concerns. Otherwise they are as good a shot at the flag as any. Beat Richmond and their fear vanishes. Yips or no yips, you can still bank on them to get 50+ pts a game (helpful in the shortened format).

There isn't really much standing between Brisbane and a flag, and with a 14-3 record to go with it, it is hard to feel justification for this thread. Players like Raynor and Hipwood have shown signs of falling into place lately, I think they'll rip it up in October.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Brisbane the worst top two side ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back