Is Josh Kennedy the best tall forward in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats Buddy vs JK finals performances like in comparison??

Franklin miles ahead.

Kennedy 9 finals, 19 goals
Franklin 21 finals, 65 goals

Franklin played finals 6 of 7 years including two flags, then moved to Sydney and played in 2 GFs in 3 years.

Kennedy had to play for Carlton then his only escape was 2008-2010 West Coast. Actually has a reasonable finals record considering we don't.

Oh shit, please tell me you rate Kennedy over Hall.

why not?

If Kennedy played 289 games he'd bring down Hall's goal tally. Got more Coleman medals, has a higher most goals in a season tally and has played in much weaker teams than Hall did.

Hall is a premiership player, B&F winner, 4 time AA and 11 time leading goal kicker and Coaches Association Champion Player Award winner.

If Kennedy keeps up his form of the last 6 years for another 4 years he'll catch Hall. That's a big ask for a guy who is already 30. I reckon he's got another 1 or 2 60 goal seasons left in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennedy is a great, great player but suggesting he matches up against Hall at this stage of his career is almost as silly as rating him over Lance Franklin.

Hall is a premiership player, B&F winner, 4 time AA and 11 time leading goal kicker and Coaches Association Champion Player Award winner.

If Kennedy keeps up his form of the last 6 years for another 4 years he'll catch Hall. That's a big ask for a guy who is already 30. I reckon he's got another 1 or 2 60 goal seasons left in him.

11 time leading goal kicker (at Sydney) as a stay at home forward in the era when forwards were still forwards isn't that impressive. So the forward should be kicking the most goals every season.

Kennedy will need to win 4 more Coleman medals to catch Hall? If the guy wins the Coleman this year, that is surely enough. Only a few men in history have won 3 in a row.

Kennedy is a great, great player but suggesting he matches up against Hall at this stage of his career is almost as silly as rating him over Lance Franklin.

A guy going for his 3rd Coleman in a row (and would have won it easily if it wasn't for missing 5-6 games of footy) has every right to be compared to Hall.

hes not going to make up 10 goals on the likes of daniher, franklin and brown.....one of them will kick a bag to put it out of contention

He has already almost caught them. May go ahead of all of them bar Daniher by next weekend.

Last edited:
11 time leading goal kicker (at Sydney) as a stay at home forward in the era when forwards were still forwards isn't that impressive. So the forward should be kicking the most goals every season.

Kennedy will need to win 4 more Coleman medals to catch Hall? If the guy wins the Coleman this year, that is surely enough. Only a few men in history have won 3 in a row.

A guy going for his 3rd Coleman in a row (and would have won it easily if it wasn't for missing 5-6 games of footy) has every right to be compared to Hall.

Hall was 7 time leading goal kicker at Sydney plus twice at St Kilda and the Bulldogs. He also retired in 2011, not 1995. Half of Kennedy's career was shared with Hall playing, it's not like comparing him to Dunstall or Peter Hudson.

I'm saying Hall kicked 748 goals in 289 games. He kicked 80 twice, 70 twice, 60 once, 50 twice and 40 four times.
Kennedy has 499 in 201. He's kicked 80 twice, 60 twice, 50 once and 40 twice.

Kennedy has work to do. To date he's kicked fewer goals at a slower rate. He's not in the conversation. Yet.

Hall was 7 time leading goal kicker at Sydney plus twice at St Kilda and the Bulldogs. He also retired in 2011, not 1995. Half of Kennedy's career was shared with Hall playing, it's not like comparing him to Dunstall or Peter Hudson.

I'm saying Hall kicked 748 goals in 289 games. He kicked 80 twice, 70 twice, 60 once, 50 twice and 40 four times.
Kennedy has 499 in 201. He's kicked 80 twice, 60 twice, 50 once and 40 twice.

Kennedy has work to do. To date he's kicked fewer goals at a slower rate. He's not in the conversation. Yet.
He averages 2.48 goals a game to 2.58, so he's pretty much on track. Even if he ends up on exactly the same rate, winning three Colemans would put him over the edge. But I agree, he's not there yet.

Hall played 22 finals and kicked 50 goals, too. Remember that back when the Swans won the 2005 flag they were 14th out of 16 for points for during the season and 6th in 2006 when they again made the GF. The 'ugly Swans' weren't a high scoring side.

We haven't been as bad as Carlton, but Kennedy does risk falling into Fev territory. Fev kicked 623 goals in 204 games (highest goals per game of anyone bar Franklin that I can think of in the mid 2000s onwards) but spent most of his career in shit Carlton sides achieving nothing. Only played 6 finals for a return of 10 goals. Fev was a great forward, but kicking 80 goals a year in a side going nowhere only gets you so far in these sorts of dick measuring contests. Over the next 2-3 years I really hope Kennedy is one of the reasons we are a good side, not a shining light in a shit one.

Hall played 22 finals and kicked 50 goals, too. Remember that back when the Swans won the 2005 flag they were 14th out of 16 for points for during the season and 6th in 2006 when they again made the GF. The 'ugly Swans' weren't a high scoring side.

We haven't been as bad as Carlton, but Kennedy does risk falling into Fev territory. Fev kicked 623 goals in 204 games (highest goals per game of anyone bar Franklin that I can think of in the mid 2000s onwards) but spent most of his career in shit Carlton sides achieving nothing. Only played 6 finals for a return of 10 goals. Fev was a great forward, but kicking 80 goals a year in a side going nowhere only gets you so far in these sorts of dick measuring contests. Over the next 2-3 years I really hope Kennedy is one of the reasons we are a good side, not a shining light in a shit one.
Lockett use to kick 100's in bad teams.....so by that measuring stick, 80 is nice. Kennedy turns 30 this year, so he has a few years left in him. The style of footy now robs forwards of many more chances to get goals though

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Josh Kennedy the best tall forward in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back