Is Josh Kennedy the best tall forward in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Franklin is the best forward in the game. Following that on any given day I'm sure Roughead, Kennedy or tex could lay claim to the next best, although Tex hasn't been amazing so far.

I would agree with that.

Kennedy by the length of Flemington in 2015. The usual suspects in Franklin, Roughead and Hawkins have been poor by their standards this year.

Will be leading the race for the Coleman after Round 13 barring some monster efforts from the contenders. 12 clear of the next best.

Wouldn't swap him for anything - it's not just the goals he kicks, but the forward pressure he offers too once the ball hits the deck.

Funny you say that, because I'd back him in to chase down most players…
He's not alone to be made to look slow by Rance's closing speed, some of Rance's efforts last night were jaw dropping, got to spoils easily when you thought he had no right. A master class against one of the hottest forwards in the league.

What do you think about Rance's 'love cuddle' though? Hands gently around Kennedy's waist all night. Not a bad tactic, you can gently impede without the jumper-pull tell the umps look for.

He´s an A grade close to elite player. What´s not to like about him. One player I hope a young
McCartin can model his game on. Very deserving of a Coleman medal in some stage of his career.
Deadset gun full forward.

Easily the best tall forward in the game. Odds on to win the Coleman this year and to be the AA FF.
Not easily. Buddy is the best thats not debatable. Then you have Kennedy, Jezza, N Riewoldt , Pav, J Roo and Cloke who are all stars in their own right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not easily. Buddy is the best thats not debatable. Then you have Kennedy, Jezza, N Riewoldt , Pav, J Roo and Cloke who are all stars in their own right.

Best tall forward right now. He's 12 goals ahead in the Coleman and could have kicked 6 on one of the games premier defenders last night.

Should have had 4 goals easy if the Rance duck was correctly adjudicated. http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=762777
should have had 4?! Rance shrugged of Kennedy's tackle with ease! Then he stopped on the whistle as NicNat's tackle came in. Never a Kennedy free.

Didn't Josh get a joe-the-goose early? and another from a free kick which for me was a free kick to NicNat just beforehand. Did get one goal from lead/mark/goal, and there was probably one other time when he genuinely got a step on Rance and took a grab but missed.

3 goals of which one was a Joe-the-goose was about right, a massive win for Rance given the Eagles midfield doing as they pleased coming I50.

I think his consistency over the past few years and his step up level this year has made him a clear number two to Buddy. Has those others you mentioned covered.

I had a bit of a laugh earlier in this thread but jeez JK's changing my mind (as are a lot of the weagles at the moment).
Still don't think he's the best but he's damn good and has clearly been the most consistent this season.

should have had 4?! Rance shrugged of Kennedy's tackle with ease! Then he stopped on the whistle as NicNat's tackle came in. Never a Kennedy free.

Didn't Josh get a joe-the-goose early? and another from a free kick which for me was a free kick to NicNat just beforehand. Did get one goal from lead/mark/goal, and there was probably one other time when he genuinely got a step on Rance and took a grab but missed.

3 goals of which one was a Joe-the-goose was about right, a massive win for Rance given the Eagles midfield doing as they pleased coming I50.
Should of had 5.1 instead of 3.3.

The only goal that was impossible not to kick was the one on the boundary line where he tried to scrubber it through on his left (after beating Rance back to the ball).

The "Joe the Goose" was a combination of Kennedy pushing Rance, Rance not touching the ball going third man up and Sinclairs excellent hands.

Rance played well enough though.

He is easily the best forward in the game at the moment just have to look at the goal tally to realise that . Alistair Clarkson a couple times has been asked if you could pick one player from the comp who would it be and has said Kennedy on both occasions very highly rated internally I think prior to this year

Kennedy is a wonderful example of how a bloke who is a solid 7/10 player in most skill categories can be classed as a out and out star if they have an elite work rate.

I think Darlings return will help JK a lot, particularly against good sides. Kennedy is going to get a lot less defensive attention around packs for the rest of the year, particularly given Darling looks like he's spent the last six months bench pressing live buffaloes and then eating them.

I'd say he and Buddy are a good comparison as they are at a similar point in their careers - probably lump Jarryd Roughead, Jack Riewoldt, Taylor Walker and Jay Schulz in there too. Buddy then JK and Roughie above the rest though.

Pav, Riewoldt and Cloke are all still capable on their day but have played their best footy.

Cameron is great but maybe 50 games behind Kennedy at the moment I think, will likely catch him though based on pure talent.

The rest would be a mix of middling players and youngsters I think?

Kennedy is a wonderful example of how a bloke who is a solid 7/10 player in most skill categories can be classed as a out and out star if they have an elite work rate.

I think Darlings return will help JK a lot, particularly against good sides. Kennedy is going to get a lot less defensive attention around packs for the rest of the year, particularly given Darling looks like he's spent the last six months bench pressing live buffaloes and then eating them.
What is fascinating for me is that Kennedy is playing no line hand. We have seven goal scoters in double digits, four at twenty or more. Most teams only have one player over twenty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Josh Kennedy the best tall forward in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back