MRP / Trib. Isaac Heeney - High contact on Jimmy Webster

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats just showing the obsession with Sydney players. Did Sydney hurt you people or something?
I mean, I was responding to a post bringing Collingwood/Nick Daicos into this for some reason and bringing up an example of another team thinking player X is looked after when it's not true. Each team thinks another team/superstar is looked after. It's just stupid, and yes that includes Essendon fans thinking the Swans are looked after

Yer but no malice or intention to harm Webster at all he turned around and apologized to him right away.

I mean its fine i respect your opinion i just think its absolutely wild you can lose a brownlow for a action like that.

who gives a shit if he didnt have any malice.

plenty of blokes have been suspended this year for bumps where they didn't mean to hit another player high, or a tackle where they hit their head on the ground, but they did.

Your argument is as bad as your lawyers.

just like bumping, if you swing your arm behind you, you own the outcome.

A situation where something that is completely accidental is instead graded as intentional.

thats what the rule says. the Swans even though they didn't like the rule, knew about the rule.

dont throw your arms behind you, and you won't risk getting suspended.

its not rocket science.

I know longmire reckons he cant coach it, but it's pretty simple. Dont do it. Just like players rarely bump anymore. That was coached out of the game. Im sure John can handle it.

thats what the rule says. the Swans even though they didn't like the rule, knew about the rule.

its not rocket science.

I know longmire reckons he cant coach it, but i's pretty simple. Dont do it.
It’s pretty crazy that the Swans foresaw this problem and didn’t instruct their players to be careful with off-the-ball hits. Very negligent.

I mean, I was responding to a post bringing Collingwood/Nick Daicos into this for some reason and bringing up an example of another team thinking player X is looked after when it's not true. Each team thinks another team/superstar is looked after. It's just stupid, and yes that includes Essendon fans thinking the Swans are looked after
I don't understand the Essendon obsession with Sydney. It's more interesting to me than the weekly chook raffle that is the mro/tribunal. The AFL do whatever they like and people still get upset about it, or make excuses for it. Cheers to you Phone.

Question for Swans supporters: What would it actually take for you to change your mind about this being “unusual” circumstances?

The tribunal didn’t believe it was unusual. The Swans themselves didn’t really argue it so they don’t seem to think it was either.

What would it take to convince you it was usual?

its not rocket science.

I know longmire reckons he cant coach it, but it's pretty simple. Dont do it.
So why did ZerkThatcher not get suspended for the high contact with Naughton?

Conspiracy theorist in me says “BZT isn’t in a position to out vote Patrick Cripps in the Brownlow”
Optimist in me says “the tribunal system has never been better”
Realist in me says “AFL tribunal system has less consistency than a rat in a burning meth lab”

Andrew Dillon has just come out and said that the AFL Tribunal system “has never been better”

Just to review how our AFL tribunal works.

Pick the on field act worthy of suspension.
A, B, C?

I'm just not sure what any of this is supposed to mean? The AFL tried to suspend all three players. The AFL was unsuccessful in having the Tribunal rule that Maynard was guilty. They have changed the rules to try prevent that from happening again. I think it's probably good that players aren't found guilty of things just because we want them to and an actual rule needs to have been broken

Likewise, the AFL made no secret in being extremely unhappy in how Cripps was able to slip off and changed the rules: https://www.afl.com.au/news/878226/...n-on-carlton-patrick-cripps-tribunal-loophole

Heeney has been caught on the other end of it: he's committed this act after the AFL have made these rule changes. It's rough, but we may as well be finding examples from the 1980s and saying wow that didn't get a week

Conspiracy theorist in me says “BZT isn’t in a position to out vote Patrick Cripps in the Brownlow”
Realist in me says “AFL tribunal system has less consistency than a rat in a burning meth lab”

he probably should have been

but that doesnt change the fact they made the right decision on Heeney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take note he was almost BOG in every game up till round 12-13ish.

He had one of the best ever recorded blocks to start the season and maintained it

AFL might have a embarrassing evening :tearsofjoy:

Why is it embarrassing for the AFL?

they did the right thing

Im all for suspensions still being eligible for the brownlow mind you.

I'm just not sure what any of this is supposed to mean? The AFL tried to suspend all three players. The AFL was unsuccessful in having the Tribunal rule that Maynard was guilty. They have changed the rules to try prevent that from happening again. I think it's probably good that players aren't found guilty of things just because we want them to and an actual rule needs to have been broken

Likewise, the AFL made no secret in being extremely unhappy in how Cripps was able to slip off and changed the rules: https://www.afl.com.au/news/878226/...n-on-carlton-patrick-cripps-tribunal-loophole

Heeney has been caught on the other end of it: he's committed this act after the AFL have made these rule changes. It's rough, but we may as well be finding examples from the 1980s and saying wow that didn't get a week
Note I am pointing mainly at the Tribunal, not the AFL. But they’re complicit, they seemed to find their voice with Toby Greene didn’t they?

The Tribunal system is so deeply flawed and leaves itself so open to accusations of bias and favouritism, because of decisions like the ones I’ve quoted. That’s why I quoted them. The bullsh*t about legal arguments when the AFL can openly make statements like “precedent doesn’t apply” leaves itself open to basically, on occasions, reach the decision they want rather than the ones they clearly should.

I could point to Pendlebury off the ball with a deliberate hit (albeit low) earlier in the year, or Charlie Cameron (again), or Zerk Thatcher getting away with high contact causing concussion to Naughton just this week) as further examples of how ridiculous this Heeney one is. Oh, that’s right, they’re all correct decisions.

Question for Swans supporters: What would it actually take for you to change your mind about this being “unusual” circumstances?

What would it take to convince you it was usual?
If you can show that it happens often enough to be deemed "usual" that an illegal hold on a leading player results in the defending player stumbling and ending up with their face at low chest height.

Over a decade again, incidents that were reviewed but not charged used to get a mention in the MRP statement. They don't anymore and I think it's a huge mistake because of this reason. (this is a random example I found of how they used to do things: https://www.afl.com.au/news/501590/match-review-panel-round-nine)

Now we have to wait for a member of the media to press the AFL on matters like and it's no good. All we can say at the moment is that they didn't think BZT was guilty of a Reportable Offence, clearly, so all we can infer that they didn't think BZT's action was a strike. Something in plain writing should be out there.

Now, I know what I'm about to do is annoying, but some Essendon fans were unhappy about Heeney not being cited for the below incident (10mins left in the 2nd quarter) when Redman got done a week or two before. the AFL, I don't think, clarified whether they felt it wasn't of sufficient impact or if it wasn't a striking action, but again something in plain writing should have been out there, if only to try to clamp down on the whataboutism

Over a decade again, incidents that were reviewed but not charged used to get a mention in the MRP statement. They don't anymore and I think it's a huge mistake because of this reason. (this is a random example I found of how they used to do things: https://www.afl.com.au/news/501590/match-review-panel-round-nine)

Now we have to wait for a member of the media to press the AFL on matters like and it's no good. All we can say at the moment is that they didn't think BZT was guilty of a Reportable Offence, clearly, so all we can infer that they didn't think BZT's action was a strike. Something in plain writing should be out there.

Now, I know what I'm about to do is annoying, but some Essendon fans were unhappy about Heeney not being cited for the below incident (10mins left in the 2nd quarter) when Redman got done a week or two before. the AFL, I don't think, clarified whether they felt it wasn't of sufficient impact or if it wasn't a striking action, but again something in plain writing should have been out there, if only to try to clamp down on the whataboutism

lol i forgot about this

Heeney has form in throwing arms around

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Isaac Heeney - High contact on Jimmy Webster

Remove this Banner Ad

Back