It's gonna be a long week

Remove this Banner Ad

^I don't see it that way.

However, if the Pies lose, we would still have proven nothing this year, having lost to Saints and Cats.

I really hope we don't lose, however I see this is as the toughest game so far, real test. Not that confident.

I don't buy the idea of the Cats treading water till September. Last season they were on the money until the game against the saints late on in the season. Safe in second, from then on they rested players until September so everyone was fresh.

I do agree that this is real test for us and I am not confident. Geelong are a mighty team - but this season has been mixed for them and if they don't win I think it will damage them. "Does Ablett really care" stories will start and it will eat away at the team for the rest of the year.

Its gonna be a long week waiting for this one. We have alot to prove, they have alot to worry about.

even if the pies get up, they can think they have the mental edge over us but the truth is this game means nothing.

We will meet them in the finals and bury them, just as we did last year.......

A bit of advice Mooney. Don't be so indifferent to big games like this. You are top of the tree at the moment but that won't last forever and there will be many years when 1 V 2 won't include the Cats. Big games against the likes of Collingwood at the G when both tteams are up and about is always exciting. You'll remember that in years to come so my advice....get to the game with the other 80,000, barrack for your team and if you win let feel great.

A bit of advice Mooney. Don't be so indifferent to big games like this. You are top of the tree at the moment but that won't last forever and there will be many years when 1 V 2 won't include the Cats. Big games against the likes of Collingwood at the G when both tteams are up and about is always exciting. You'll remember that in years to come so my advice....get to the game with the other 80,000, barrack for your team and if you win let feel great.
Absolutely right! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
I am never complacent about a big game like this. They can be very special, and this one is. Are the pies the real deal, are the chaps turning into chumps? This game will tell us a great deal - being there will be special.

exactly right, we shouldn't take these for granted. we've had some great games against the cats in the past and i really really respect their team. so the spirit of this thread that it will be an exciting, cracking game is spot on. can't wait.

If Carlton and Freo can beat Geelong then Collingwood should be able to give them a serious touching up in front of a monster crowd.

This type of logic is consistently used on BF; but it makes no sense. You can't compare different games like this and come to any logical conclusions......

Using this logic, Melbourne and Colingwood only a point different. West Coast beat Melbourne at the G easily.....So West Coast should easily beat the Pies!!! Of course they wont.

The competition is more competative than ever before. Every team is only a percent or two off their A game away from losing to anyone (except maybe Richmond) Look at the second half on Friday night.....with a couple of key injuries it went from a close game to a blow-out....If you think the same thing couldn't happen to the Pies then your'e kidding yourself.

Hope the Pies stand up and pump the Cats though......

What the hell has tonight's game got to do with anything? Geelong played well, but faced sub-par competition. Exactly like Collingwood on Friday night.

Its got everything to do with it. You mustn't have watched the game. Cats toyed with Brisbane in Brisbane.

They are still the yardstick for the competition.

Blistering blue barnicles!

What I'm excited about is the fact that both teams are close to full strength, the cats will be without Ottens and perhaps Corey, the Pies may be without Medhurst and Wellingham, both teams played interstate with the Pies having one day extra break, the benefit of which I think would be negligible considering the Pies flew home the morning following the win over the Dockers.
No excuses for either side, and the result is huge for both teams, The Cats will not want to drop another game, they are competing for a top four spot with Freo, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs and of course the Magpies.
The Magpies will be keen to test themselves against a team widely regarded as the best in the last 3-4 years and have received drubbings from them on the big stage.

I have to say I have always been confident against the pies, except this time.

The 2 home and away results in 07 and 08 I knew were aberrations. But this Pies outfit of 2010 looks and smells like the real deal. I wouldn't like to drop this one and give them the mental edge. However I think all the pressure is on the Pies because they have everything to prove whereas the Cats nothing.

A loss will see their confidence come crashing down but a win will propel them into thinking they are world beaters. Whereas a win or loss means very little to the cats.

I have to say I have always been confident against the pies, except this time.

The 2 home and away results in 07 and 08 I knew were aberrations. But this Pies outfit of 2010 looks and smells like the real deal. I wouldn't like to drop this one and give them the mental edge. However I think all the pressure is on the Pies because they have everything to prove whereas the Cats nothing.

A loss will see their confidence come crashing down but a win will propel them into thinking they are world beaters. Whereas a win or loss means very little to the cats.

Except for 4 points in what is proving to be an extremely competative year ;)

Geelong are a mighty team - but this season has been mixed for them and if they don't win I think it will damage them. "Does Ablett really care" stories will start and it will eat away at the team for the rest of the year.

Its gonna be a long week waiting for this one. We have alot to prove, they have alot to worry about.
Geelong have four points to 'worry' about, as do Collingwood.
A loss this early in the season will not 'damage' either team. (Rember 08?)
Ablett will most likely keep rolling on towards another brownlow barring some unforseen injury.
Cheers chump,
Leo

Cats fans will appreciate this is the third year in a row where a big marquee game takes place featuring Geelong and the new challneger on th block.

In 08 - it was Hawks round 17 at the MCG with a huge crowd - Geelong winning a close and tense match by 10 or so points

09- round 14 v St Kilda - classic encounter with St Kilda winning by a goal

10 - Collingwood v Geelong

Going on the record of the previous encounters we can expect a great match with the likelihood of it being a grand final preview

Cats fans will appreciate this is the third year in a row where a big marquee game takes place featuring Geelong and the new challneger on th block.

In 08 - it was Hawks round 17 at the MCG with a huge crowd - Geelong winning a close and tense match by 10 or so points

09- round 14 v St Kilda - classic encounter with St Kilda winning by a goal

10 - Collingwood v Geelong

Going on the record of the previous encounters we can expect a great match with the likelihood of it being a grand final preview

Didn't the Pies beat the cats by 87 odd points in a classic at the G in '08?

In all seriousness though, really looking forward to where we are placed at this early part of the season against easily the best team in the league. According to both Geelong and Collingwood neither have peaked yet and I'm really interested to see how much ground we need to make up to possibly be there round abouts deep into September.

Be nice to get a win though - but to drop a game by a respectable margin to Geelong at this stage of the season wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Can't wait - gunna be a cracking, free flowing, balls to the wall type of game... Can't see either team trying to flood and create a crap spectacle :thumbsu:

Forget about our wins in the past Smoky. Collingwood is a totally different team now and we have a totally different game plan.

No doubt this is an important game for both clubs - just like any with 4 points up for grabs - but I think it is more so for Collingwood. I think it gives us a real opportunity to give us some confidence that we can beat the best, something we have failed to do in the past. I think it is also a good test of our new game plan and how it stands up in a high pressure game against a team that is the best in the league at moving the ball by hand and foot. Thatsaid it is still just a game in May and it's hardly the be all and all for the team that loses.

I'm going to the game with my best mate who is a massive Cats supporter so it will definitely be a long week of sledging and probably an even longer night for one of us!!! I'm really looking forward to this one :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Carlton and Freo can beat Geelong then Collingwood should be able to give them a serious touching up in front of a monster crowd.

Scarlett v Dawes will be a great duel, a great test for the big strong young man.
Travis "Iron Man" Cloke and Didak to run riot again.

Collingwood to win quite comfortably.
Pies by 49

Just like they did on Prelim final night last year? :p

Seriously though, I'm not as confident going into this game as I usually am. It's my b'day on Friday, and the last couple of times Geelong have played Collingwood around my birthday were in 2006 and 2008, when the Pies smashed us by 102 and 86 points respectively. :( I'm hoping for a better b'day present this time around. :p

Forget about our wins in the past Smoky. Collingwood is a totally different team now and we have a totally different game plan.

No doubt this is an important game for both clubs - just like any with 4 points up for grabs - but I think it is more so for Collingwood. I think it gives us a real opportunity to give us some confidence that we can beat the best, something we have failed to do in the past. I think it is also a good test of our new game plan and how it stands up in a high pressure game against a team that is the best in the league at moving the ball by hand and foot. Thatsaid it is still just a game in May and it's hardly the be all and all for the team that loses.

I'm going to the game with my best mate who is a massive Cats supporter so it will definitely be a long week of sledging and probably an even longer night for one of us!!! I'm really looking forward to this one :thumbsu:

Yes credit to Malthouse for altering the style to now play a fast and attacking style of play far removed from that tedious slow build up around the boundary line.

Be interesting whether it will be a shoot out Friday or whether a more defensive mindset will prevail

both teams have scored 130 plus EACH over the last 3 weeks. so stats say a shoot out,

though i think it will be a bit more of a finals type match, with the winner not much more than 100

I agree, I doubt it will turn into a shootout - although I reckon there's a chance one side could give the other a pummeling (and it could go either way!)

As another poster rightly pointed out though, it is another round and if we win, it still doesn't mean heaps - finals is where it matters. Will build up the confidence though, especially after the smashing we received in the PF last year :eek:

Should be a cracking game, can not wait for it!

All this game does is bring one team a game closer to the finals is all.The round 19 game will be the important one as both should have qualified for the finals by then and will be a good indication of where both teams stand.

This game reminds me of the first encounter between Rocky Balboa & Clubber Lang.

Balboa being the cats and Lang the Pies.

We all know what happened in the rematch between them though

Should be a good game, like a lot of posters have said even if we win this match it still won't mean anything (except the 4 points) till we beat Geelong in a final.

Will wait to see the the teams before making any predictions, but hopefully Presti, Wellers and Medders come back in for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's gonna be a long week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back