Its time....

Remove this Banner Ad

Realistically, does anyone think we would have won if we didn't get the injuries? It def made a difference, but I still wasn't that confident at quarter time. I guess a similar thing happened in the Richmond game too and that was against sh!t opposition.

Hard to say whether or not we would have had the sense to realise that our forward set up was unbelievably economic with the conversion of forward 50s to scoring shots. Would we have had the good sense to go all out attack if we had the fresh legs? Or would we have gone into our shells once put under pressure?

Laidley did a very good job today - the first quarter (and to a degree the second) demonstrate this.

We had lost two players by half time and finished with 17 men on the ground and by the end of the match Simmo and Pratty were suffering badly from calf cramp and normally wouldn't have been on the ground.

When you combine those injuries with a large number of young players and several players recovering from gastro or injury it's little wonder we ran out of legs and as we ran out of legs we made more errors and gave up the ball more.

Yeah i thought we where great today.Injuries stuffed us and thats how St kilda got back into it.It does not help when the dirty ruckman from them went after Power.We showed guts and atleast we played by the rules.I am proud tonight cos we took it up 2 them.King enjoy yur holiday we will be waiting next time you gutless fool.

Laidley did a very good job today - the first quarter (and to a degree the second) demonstrate this.

We had lost two players by half time and finished with 17 men on the ground and by the end of the match Simmo and Pratty were suffering badly from calf cramp and normally wouldn't have been on the ground.

When you combine those injuries with a large number of young players and several players recovering from gastro or injury it's little wonder we ran out of legs and as we ran out of legs we made more errors and gave up the ball more.

Don't disagree on today, circumstances conspired against us, but to play devil's advocate for a moment...did the pre-match talk of gastro worry anyone? We were meant to be struggling to field a team, but only Ziebell missed, and that was probably due to his corkie. And several of the blokes in doubt seemingly trained OK.
I know not what the truth is, just throwing it out there.

As good as Thompson has been in the last 7 weeks , it was painfully obvious for every North fan that he just was not big enough to spoil Kosi and his long arms in marking contests . What i could not understand , was the reason why a 6'4 Nathan Grima was playing on Gwilt the whole game and not on Kosi ?

Injuries are an excuse. But other teams have beaten us without a bench. We were down to nothing by games end but yeh i agree. When we can do that in the first quarter and then for the next hour fall apart. Just give the club some energy and tell JYD thanks and move on

That was our best game in 12 months.

Watch the boys as the siren went today. They had given everything they could.

I totally agree with ya Sandgroper35. Save the coach criticism for next week. :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injuries are an excuse. But other teams have beaten us without a bench. We were down to nothing by games end but yeh i agree. When we can do that in the first quarter and then for the next hour fall apart. Just give the club some energy and tell JYD thanks and move on

do you mean lose a player every 12 minutes??? what does that have to do with Laidleys coaching... oh yeah he should have rested Sammy so King could not ko him...

As good as Thompson has been in the last 7 weeks , it was painfully obvious for every North fan that he just was not big enough to spoil Kosi and his long arms in marking contests . What i could not understand , was the reason why a 6'4 Nathan Grima was playing on Gwilt the whole game and not on Kosi ?

Thomo was doing fine while the game was up for grabs... and we had a midfield that was able to stop the supply... once the injuries came and we lost rotations... blind freddy would have kicked 6 goals down on St Kilda forward line with the delivery he was getting...

You do know that Garlett is on the rookie list right?

Im guessing he doesn't. What I am also guessing he doesn't know is that if we had of placed Boomer on the LTI two weeks ago and elevated Garlett then Garlett has to be on the senior list for a minimum of 8 games which means that even if Boomer was ready to go within say 4 weeks he couldn't be played.

I didn't think we were up because we were taking the game on, so much as a man-on-man game plan, and tackling ferocity, similar to the game last week. We could sustain neither the game plan nor the ferocity once we lost players.

I am, however, astounded that two rotations makes that much of a difference.

I continue to be hugely impressed with Scott McMahon (always rated him, but I reckon he has taken the next steps), Scott Thompson (growing every week) and Ben Warren (particularly his workrate which would, of itself, be keeping Jones out of the side). Firrito has adapted to playing in the middle, which we had doubts about early. Simpson is in career-best form.

I thought Laidley coached well today, and events conspired against him. But, at a macro level, he is still a defensively minded coach, and it is the offensive game plan and skills we lack. Always have under his tenure.

Apparently we've only won 13 quarters of footy, out of 11 games.

I didn't think we were up because we were taking the game on, so much as a man-on-man game plan, and tackling ferocity, similar to the game last week. We could sustain neither the game plan nor the ferocity once we lost players.

I am, however, astounded that two rotations makes that much of a difference.

I continue to be hugely impressed with Scott McMahon (always rated him, but I reckon he has taken the next steps), Scott Thompson (growing every week) and Ben Warren (particularly his workrate which would, of itself, be keeping Jones out of the side). Firrito has adapted to playing in the middle, which we had doubts about early. Simpson is in career-best form.

I thought Laidley coached well today, and events conspired against him. But, at a macro level, he is still a defensively minded coach, and it is the offensive game plan and skills we lack. Always have under his tenure.

Apparently we've only won 13 quarters of footy, out of 11 games.

they only kicked away in the last quarter when we had no rotations and Wells sitting in the forward line only capable of walking with a limp... so yeah I think no rotations and an injured player on the field would make a 7 goal to 1 difference... pretty dissapointing because we tackled hard and took the game up to and past St Kilda when we had the numbers to do it...

Gee that's harsh

I thought he coached really well today. We were up at 1/2 time, quite incredible considering where we are with our list and the Saints being top of the ladder.

After half time we were two men down and Harding cost us two silly goals, one of them doing exactly what you said we needed to do more of, taking the game on.

At the end of the day we had some players who were under done (Campbell) and then the Injuries to Power, Warren and Wells completely stuffed up the rotations. Then Wright got injured in the last and we ended with 17 men

I thought Laidley got the match ups spot on, perhaps he could've tried Grima on Kosi but by the time he started dominating it was game over.

Agree with all this - and add Pratt a second underdone player who had to do too much and wasn't physically up to it. I also think it's time for a change, but ganes like yesterday's make me think I might be wrong, certainly didn't give me extra ammunition to call for a new coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Its time....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back