Toast Ivan Maric - Thank you and best of luck

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the big Drago is officially a Tiger, I would like to thank him for his services. You always knew that despite some obvious athletic limitations that big Ivan will ALWAYS give you everything he has.

The best thing I love about his is his genuine love and care for his team mates. If one of them gets picked off, big Ivan is the first one standing up for them and looking for some blood....speaking from the personal experience, its the balkan passion! :D :thumbsu:

He deserved to go somewhere where he will get a regular game and we did the right thing by him. He has been as exceptional team man and an absolute champion of a bloke. I am sure his presence in the change rooms and around the club will be missed!

Best of luck big fella and I hope you have a ripping career at Richmond! :thumbsu: ... you will always have the utmost respect from this Adelaide Crows fan and from many more.

All the best, except when you play us of course! ;) :thumbsu:
I would also like to say ditto!. Will miss Ivan very much.

One of my favourites ...bit of grunt and flies the flag ...:heart:

I hope he does really well.:thumbsu:..just not against us....

V V V glad he didn't go to Port ..;)

My favourite memory of the big Croat is from this year, I travelled over with a few of my friends from Perth to Adelaide to watch the Crows v Geelong game, sitting at the pub across from AAMI (cant remember the name????) decide to chuck a cheeky $10 on Evaarn to kick the first goal, he duly saluted, I collected my $260 and went straight to crowmania at half time to buy a new jersey with Rory's #9 on the back, whenever I now pull on that jumper Ill think of big Ivan and smile :thumbsu::thumbsu: All the best champ :)

Wow, moving thread. Can't imagine many Tigers would get the same send off (we're a feral bunch! :p ). Anyway.. Just couldn't believe I'd see a thread like this on BF and had to say something. I've been looking forward to the big fella coming to Tigerland for a while now and I hope he settles in well. Since Kingy will be out r1 Vs Carlton it will be up to Ivan alone to stir up the Blues. Hope he can towel a couple :p

Wow, moving thread. Can't imagine many Tigers would get the same send off (we're a feral bunch! :p ). Anyway.. Just couldn't believe I'd see a thread like this on BF and had to say something. I've been looking forward to the big fella coming to Tigerland for a while now and I hope he settles in well. Since Kingy will be out r1 Vs Carlton it will be up to Ivan alone to stir up the Blues. Hope he can towel a couple :p

I think one of the reason Maric is receiving such a warm send-off from us is that it's not a case of a player who has been given everything buggering off, but rather a player who is not going to get opportunities here looking for another chance elsewhere. If we didn't have Jacobs, Maric would 100% stay at the Crows and continue to be the great club man he has been, and we respect him for that. Nobody begrudges him the opportunity to go and make a name for himself elsewhere in those circumstances.

He's also just a really likable guy. Craig used to describe him as a "man's man" and it's absolutely true.

Richo83 - he's a quality ruck, but in a slightly undersized body. His strength means he's quite good for boundary throw-ins where he can out-wrestle his opponent, and a decent number of his taps go to advantage. These boundary throw-ins are his main strength, that and being willing to throw his big body around in the clearances. Unfortunately, he can be beaten in the centre square where his lack of height and athleticism hurts him.

He's a good floating back, and quite handy up forward - he's a better kick for goal than most ruckmen are!

A few tiger supporters are whinging about this trade i personally think its pretty fair, the crows get a young forward looking for a crack the saints get a pick and some salary relief and the tigs get a ruckman that is already number 1 the first day he walks in, hope he can develop into a better player and will be given every opportunity too, Round 1 first bounce im looking forward to finally having a bloke who can stick a knee into an opponent and crash some packs at least we know EEEEVAN will give it his all

All the best Ivan. Great team man and admire his character.

Shame he couldn't teach Gunston about both.

Please save you worst against us.:).

I already miss Drago :( Richmond got a true warrior here. Will be a fan favourite with them like he was with us.

Stoked he's at the Tigers.

Always liked them, become a real fan of them since they grabbed Hardwick - love the way he goes about it and how he has them playing; the quality of their footy, but also the passion they play with - and how much they enjoy their footy.

He'll instantly make them a better side, and he'll fit in beautifully.

Will happily continue to cheer the big unit on :thumbsu:

Reasonable trading by the Crows as well - thought we would've got a bit more, but I think we did the right thing by Maric.

Considering the calibre of the man, and the reasons for him leaving, I'm glad we looked after him.

Thanks for the memories

Maric_Rd1109_246a.jpg

One Of my favourite moments ever, loved his passion and aggression. This trade is bitter-sweet I lose one of my favourite players but he gets to go on and have the career he deserves. One of the biggest hearts to play for the crows, will be missed! Good luck Ivan smash it for the Tiges even against us, as long as we come out on top at the end of the game:p!

Loved the aggression and passion from big Ivan. Could have been better (and might be) under a different regime.

All the best Ivan! Look forward to watching you play still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good Luck to big Ivan, not the most talented guy we ever had bust certainly one of the most committed to making good with whatr he had and showing some heart.

Favourite moment, the goal he kicked in Zooma's 300th, one of the best displays of passion you'll see.

Second, the presser he gave not long after the introduction of the sub rule, he wasn't afraid to let his emotion out in front of the press, he knew this could curtail his career, and all the kid wanted to do was play. He went because of the current AFL fad rather than anything to do with being homesick or any othe rpiss poor excuse.

Well played Crows, he's who you look after :thumbsu:

Just a wonderful thread. Someone should send it to him. Seriously! Actually, given that I am trying to sponsor him, maybe I will.

I am just rapt that he's coming to us and am perhaps just as delighted that my club so values the player, and bloke, that he evidently is. We Tiger fans feel a tad entitled to enjoy some success, but gee it'd be great to see Ivan be a massive part of that.

Cheers and congrats on your sentiments. Classy stuff

Question has to be asked though: is he a good ruckman though? And is he better than our current ruckmen?

I saw Graham play some of his earliest games; I thought he had potential - young and raw, but massive. Thought you'd found a good one.

Watched some more of his games this year; looked like he'd gone backwards.

We had Brad Moran, a big unit who played like a total pussy, with zero intensity - Graham looked very similar to me. Looked disinterested and couldn't be bothered making an effort.

Ivan isn't a superstar, but he is a good footballer, and you'll never be pissed off at him for not trying or being soft, but you will love him for the passion and the intensity he brings to every game.

And I genuinely think he has some improvement left in him yet - with consistent games and a team and coaching staff that back him to the absolute hilt, I think you'll see him play better for the Tigers than he did for us; if that is the case, you've got a bargain.

PS - I reckon the Tigers will play finals next year. A decent ruckman who gives their quality mids at least an even contest; easily worth a few goals a game.

I saw Graham play some of his earliest games; I thought he had potential - young and raw, but massive.

We had Brad Moran, a big unit who played like a total pussy, with zero intensity - Graham looked very similar to me.

Ivan isn't a superstar, but he is a good footballer, and you'll never be pissed off at him for not trying or being soft, but you will love him for the passion and the intensity he brings to every game.

And I genuinely think he has some improvement left in him yet - with consistent games and a team and coaching staff that back him to the absolute hilt, I think you'll see him play better for the Tigers than he did for us; if that is the case, you've got a bargain.

Graham was playing very well towards the end of last year, turned into a big softie later this year apparently has attitude issues hope he can get some grunt back into him.

You'd hope so - I couldn't believe how weak he was; there were rumblings you guys were looking at trading for a ruck, when I kept an eye on Graham, I realised why.

Maybe the other positive you'll get out of Ivan is that Graham will extract his head from his arse and realise how easily you can throw away your chance at a solid AFL career.

I loved his 'we are like a wounded animal' comment last year. He is the sort of player who is worth a lot more than just his playing ability - live long and prosper big fella.

Still needs to develop week in week out consistency - he's prone to shockers from time to time (and I mean shockers)

Typical balkan trait, and I'm being dead serious.

Great thread and read by some classy fans on here...kudos to you all.

Congrats Ivan on making it to the Tigers. Well done AFC for making this happen for Ivan too. If there is one player that deserves to be accommodated, Ivan is certainly the one.

Thank you for your dedication and commitment over the years, you definitely showed the "pride of SA" and all the very best at RFC.

You'd hope so - I couldn't believe how weak he was; there were rumblings you guys were looking at trading for a ruck, when I kept an eye on Graham, I realised why.

Maybe the other positive you'll get out of Ivan is that Graham will extract his head from his arse and realise how easily you can throw away your chance at a solid AFL career.

exactly right mate the amount of times this year i saw gus outmarked and outbodied by a midfielder in the oppositions forward line alone has made me stoked to get maric, grahams biggest problem is effort and intensity , maybe he will learn from big ivan

I saw Graham play some of his earliest games; I thought he had potential - young and raw, but massive. Thought you'd found a good one.

We had Brad Moran, a big unit who played like a total pussy, with zero intensity - Graham looked very similar to me. Looked disinterested and couldn't be bothered making an effort.

PS - I reckon the Tigers will play finals next year. A decent ruckman who gives their quality mids at least an even contest; easily worth a few goals a game.
First half of last year, Maric was playing absolutely superb football and IMO was well ont he way to being in the top half dozen ruckmen in the AFL. For whatever reason his form tapered off, and come this year, behind Jacobs he started the year seemingly down on confidence and a bit unsure about himself and his role. I think you nailed it, under a system that backs him 100% and has him as the #1 ruckman, he will thrive. All the best to him, I hope he gets back that early 2010 form. :thumbsu:

And I 100% agree with your thoughts on Graham, I too thought exactly the same thing. (I actually thought about picking him in my DT this year, thought he was about to take the next step, not sure what happened...)

So many mixed emotions about this trade. The Tigers have picked up a fantastic individual on and off the field.

I was just listening to the AFC podcast the other day and it's clear we have lost one of the true personalities of our football club.

Disappointing he is leaving. The AFL sub-rule has forced his hand, which makes his move completely understandable. In my opinion he will always be welcome back to the AFC and has always been a great contributor in an area we lacked real depth.

Hopefully he plays great for the Richmond... Except against us. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back