News Ivan Soldo's trade to St Kilda falls through

Remove this Banner Ad

I supported getting both Soldo and Sweet in, because I thought Visentini was too raw.

But this year he's shown enough improvement to be a good enough No.2 option.
Yep. Visentini is on the verge of being ready.

He's a more than solid #2. He will need games too. As #2 he should get the handful his development will need. By 2026/2027 he may well have taken the number 1 mantle.

We needed a stop gap for one year till this was the case. Hence why I was always against trading for 2, it seemed silly to fill a 1 year gap. If it works out though that we get a 2nd back for Soldo though, then that's a good result, we got that 1 year gap filled at limited cost.

Jon Ralph:
But the trade value of mid-tier rucks is usually about pick 40-50 and he is due around $500,000 for each of the next two seasons, so they would let him go given Dante Visentini is a solid back-up.
Lol, when Port were trading for him, he was worth the world. Same player a year later is pick 50. Haha.

Likely that Ross thinks he might get more out of Marshall (and perhaps out of Max King too) by playing Marshall as the main forward marking target. So Soldo’s value is as a solid mature-bodied ruck who can at least hold his own for a year or three while his younger rucks develop.

Soldo should suit that role pretty well, but it puts a bit of pressure on their current young tall forwards Owens and Caminiti, and gives them a squad that’s bursting at the seams with ruckman, given their promising youngsters that other posters have mentioned - Jack Hayes, and Keeler. All of whom are worth our interest if we’re looking for a promising young ruck to be our number 3.

Lol, when Port were trading for him, he was worth the world. Same player a year later is pick 50. Haha.
Would love 2023 trade comments to be found by reports

Just as he was when we traded for him off the back of a 7 game season where he had 1 season left on his contract.

But the media spin was different and being the morons we are we fell for it
Look if it was me I'd tell Ivan to suck it up you are staying at least for 2025, but we usually accommodate trade requests so they'll take whatever and tell us to look at the trade period as a whole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the plus with Sweet is he's more durable, a touch smarter with his tap work & surprisingly ok in general play for a big lumbering guy.
Before the game against Collingwood, where we decided to try and turn Soldo into Charlie Dixon, he was 2nd in the league for hit outs to advantage (behind only Tim English).

Durability and tap work for sire. The marking aspect gets me every time. Big guys just have to be able to mark.
Good point that, a ruckman able to mark the football.

We haven’t had one since Lade & Primus.

Not sure that’s in Hinkley’s game plan though, he likes the ball to the ground. Scrap, crum, then turnover.
I’m sure you’ve seen that movie.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Ivan Soldo's trade to St Kilda falls through

Remove this Banner Ad

Back