News Ivan Soldo's trade to St Kilda falls through

Remove this Banner Ad

My care factor on this one is low, too injury prone, you look back over his entire career and he hasn't been able to put together even close to a full season once.

Last edited:
My care factor on this one is low, too injury prone, you look back over his entire career and he hasn't been able to put even close to a full season once.
Yeah, thought the same. As I said earlier, he was first ruck, gave it up due to injury. Sweet took it, now much else can be said or done.

If he wants to go for whatever reason and we aren’t disadvantaged, let him go.

Shit accusations about a city is petty

a) No-one forced his partner to move away - it is well documented that was a personal lifestyle choice not a financial one. Don't dress it up like Ivan has abandoned her.

b) He chose to sign a 3-year deal to move here - after Port gave Richmond overs in draft capital - and is bailing after 1. There is no guarantee we will get equivalent value in picks back.

c) On AFL wages he can live and play wherever he is wanted in this country. Many highly-paid professional sportsmen do. If he can't handle life interstate, that's OK but spare me the sob story.

d) Port did not initiate this trade request. Another dress up job: we're not pushing him out and this makes you look silly.

He is free to request a trade and I'm free to call it as I see it - weak.

Good luck to him. What's done is done and trading him now is best for all parties.
I still don't see a single good reason in here why it's in Ivan, Port, or anybody's best interests for him to continue playing here. It's not 'weak' to decide against making a huge sacrifice for the benefit of nobody, it's sensible. You'd do the exact same thing in his position and you know it.

While I can see why it makes sense for Soldo to head back to Melbourne, it doesn't really make sense for Port unless it nets a sub 40 pick. Considering the trade capital spent we could cut our losses somewhat, but it would mean we are one ruck injury away from complete season derailment as we've seen multiple times under Hinkley.

I think Port will accommodate his request, but if we were a club with a bit of mongrel we would hold him to his contract. Not a whole lot has changed from what he signed up for- he still has to battle off a challenger for #1 ruck, and he still has to stay on the park to hold that spot (and him getting injured should be no surprise to either him or the club given his history).

If it were Geelong in our position they would hold the Saints over a barrel for a pick in the 20s 'or he stays put' a la Esava. Maybe we just can't afford to be pricks like that as a non Vic club.

I still don't see a single good reason in here why it's in Ivan, Port, or anybody's best interests for him to continue playing here. It's not 'weak' to decide against making a huge sacrifice for the benefit of nobody, it's sensible. You'd do the exact same thing in his position and you know it.
I don’t think it’s weak, but he’s a big boy and has to understand the consequences of actions.

He signed a 3 year deal, if a suitable trade can’t be done he needs to suck it up. If has a partner complaining well she needs to suck it up too.

IMO, we have 4 years till our core squad is peaking, Rozee, Butters, JHF, Bergman, Georgie, Jones, Sinn, Burgoyne, etc. We need to improve that 2nd layer of our squad now, so they're starting to hit that 4-5 year level where players usually start hitting their potential asap.
Yeah but you take the future second and sell it on.

My care factor on this one is low, too injury prone, you look back over his entire career and he hasn't been able to put together even close to a full season once.
Why did we trade for him in the first place with a dodgy knee?

Twist after AFL star’s shock trade request

An influencer who left behind her AFL star boyfriend to become an airline hostess in Dubai has hit back at suggestions she’s to blame for his shock trade request.

——-

“I’m honestly fed up with the ridiculous narrative that keeps circulating. I’ve stayed silent for far too long, but it’s time to set the record straight,” she told her 66,000 Instagram followers.

“Somehow I’ve become the centre of attention for a trade that has nothing to do with me. I genuinely don’t understand where this information is coming from.

“Not that it’s anyone business but, I moved back from Dubai to support my boyfriend, and somehow I find myself being dragged through the media.

This is becoming laughable from her and by extension him.

Because if he fights for his spot he has a chance to tap to JHF, Wines, Rozee and Butters for at least the next couple of years while we are in a window (assuming we make the right choice and **** Ken off).

I'm fine with him going but if he's off to St Kilda he doesn't prioritise football success (and to be clear, there is nothing wrong with that).

Because if he fights for his spot he has a chance to tap to JHF, Wines, Rozee and Butters for at least the next couple of years while we are in a window (assuming we make the right choice and **** Ken off).

I'm fine with him going but if he's off to St Kilda he doesn't prioritise football success (and to be clear, there is nothing wrong with that).
Seems more likely he has the chance to tap it to Nick Moore, Jackson Mead and Jed McEntee to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His salary is way too high to be sharing ruck duties with Visentini in the SANFL.

Should have nothing to do with personal stuff. Trade him and rookie a ruck.

Seems more likely he has the chance to tap it to Nick Moore, Jackson Mead and Jed McEntee to be honest.
That's why I'm saying "if he fights for his spot". We all would have said the same thing about Sweet 12 months ago but he fought his way in to making that role his own.

End of the day we worked out who is the bigger competitor who suits Port more - its Sweet. And we should all be happy with that.

What if Sweet goes down?

OGC has a good point as much as I love Visentini he's not a mature body, rucks are babies until their mid 20's.
I supported getting both Soldo and Sweet in, because I thought Visentini was too raw.

But this year he's shown enough improvement to be a good enough No.2 option.

OGC has a good point as much as I love Visentini he's not a mature body, rucks are babies until their mid 20's.
Visintini is a competitor. He can do enough to compete.

Besides Soldo is injured most of the time anyway.

I'd rather throw Esava or Lord into the ruck any day of the week before resorting to Finlayson again.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

His salary is way too high to be sharing ruck duties with Visentini in the SANFL.

Should have nothing to do with personal stuff. Trade him and rookie a ruck.

Yep, I dont have an issue with him leaving from a list point of view, better using the pick and dollars elsewhere now Sweet has shown he can lead the ruck and Vis has shown he's got someting to offer.

But I do have an issue in general with these insta-personalities and the newspapers (and particular journalists) that make it all about them. They seem to be 'dial a quotes'.

I supported getting both Soldo and Sweet in, because I thought Visentini was too raw.

But this year he's shown enough improvement to be a good enough No.2 option.
I'm not doubting Dante's talent there's just a difference between coming in for the odd game here and there as a young developing ruck opposed to coming in for 15 weeks if the number 1 ruck cops a serious injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Ivan Soldo's trade to St Kilda falls through

Remove this Banner Ad

Back