Review Round 7, 2024 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm rating that win given the injuries that stacked up. Thought JHF was huge in last qtr. Loved Burgoyne's game. Dix was very good with some top contested marks & good conversion. Bergman stayed more involved 2nite & had some great moments as usual. Prefer him at half back. Thought Sweet did an admirable job. Ratagolea was much better after Allir went off.

Marshall was atrocious, so soft. Jones drops too many marks. Boak had pretty good stats but I'm not seeing it.

Beating up on 13th placed St Kilda at home is about his level.
If he didn't we would have lost.
Would have lost against Freo too if not for that big pack mark (yes he was otherwise beaten that night but kicked 2 good goals)
Until tonight, Todd gets a tenth the heat on this board and has barely had a really good game in 2 years

Sweet was pretty good
Burgoyne was great
Williams was average.

We are too big and clumsy up front. Marshall rather than Dixon might be the one who should make way based on tonight.

I feel we are too big and clumsy down back too. We have one lockdown guy in zero-thatcher who has been great and two big interceptors which I think is one too many as they seem to try and play the same role. Allir has totally dropped off since last year. He still gets in good positions and reads it well but doesn’t hold on to anything. But that might be because he has less room and space to do his thing. I’m not sure we needed Sava R but now we have him I think we should probably only play one of him or Allir.

Big fan of the exact people you would think getting uppity after a shitty win, in a shitty game, against shitty opposition.

GUTS BOYS, CHANNELED THE ANZACS FARKEN, WHAT A WIN BY KENINLY AND THE BOYS, FCUKIN PUMPED! UP YOURS BIG DIX HATERS!

Forklore win, this.

Funniest part of the game. First quarter Rowan Marshall spends some time off the ground potentially injured, even going down to the rooms. So what do we do? Throw Charlie Dixon in to the ruck for the next centre bounce, then he runs forward and Ollie Wines is next man up for the ruck contest.
Instead of capitalising on St. Kildas sole ruckman being off the ground injured, we actually nullify any possible advantage by taking ours off too and sending a 187cm midfielder to contest the ruck.
It defies all logic and to be honest it kind of sums up everything I hate about this regime.
To be fair, at the time it looked like Marshall was gone for the night.

JHF last quarter under rated, first half looked like he was being managed then slowly worked into it in the 3rd before being let loose in the last. It wasn't his best game regarding ball possession but his attack at the contest oozed willingness to get us over the line.

Watching Jase in the last arch the back as he broke clear on the member's wing reminded me of peak Peter.

Bergman playing back and a couple of defensive efforts in the last including BZT getting a fist in running with the flight worth calling out.

Final words to journo in Ross Lyon presser, no one wanted to answer Ross' question as to where they think Port are at, did chuckle as he finally settled on making finals as a minimum but couldn't bring himself to saying top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jas Burgoyne had his best game of his career so far.

Not only with his stats but the last quarter effort when he took some incredible marks against the flow of play and broke up the counter attacks.

Thought jordan sweet played a solid game too.

Sweet was pretty good
Burgoyne was great
Williams was average.

We are too big and clumsy up front. Marshall rather than Dixon might be the one who should make way based on tonight.

I feel we are too big and clumsy down back too. We have one lockdown guy in zero-thatcher who has been great and two big interceptors which I think is one too many as they seem to try and play the same role. Allir has totally dropped off since last year. He still gets in good positions and reads it well but doesn’t hold on to anything. But that might be because he has less room and space to do his thing. I’m not sure we needed Sava R but now we have him I think we should probably only play one of him or Allir.
We need our interceptor to be our best mark, like Stewart or Ryan

Bergman could be the one

JHF last quarter under rated, first half looked like he was being managed then slowly worked into it in the 3rd before being let loose in the last. It wasn't his best game regarding ball possession but his attack at the contest oozed willingness to get us over the line.

Watching Jase in the last arch the back as he broke clear on the member's wing reminded me of peak Peter.

Bergman playing back and a couple of defensive efforts in the last including BZT getting a fist in running with the flight worth calling out.

Final words to journo in Ross Lyon presser, no one wanted to answer Ross' question as to where they think Port are at, did chuckle as he finally settled on making finals as a minimum but couldn't bring himself to saying top 4.

Honestly think back to the Bombers Collingwood game from Thursday where we got pounded the week before.

We are a very average team spluttering along like usual. Anywhere between 6 and 11 I’d say is where we are at.

It’s all just so representative of years gone by, we aren’t winning a flag, it’s the same mediocre forward entries and players like Boak running around who look past it.

Feels like the place is begging for fresh air to me, half the players must want it and the other half don’t realise it yet.

Koch is the enabler to just let this continue on and on, same same every year.

Seriously is anybody really excited by what you out there by this club?

Meh…

Yes, last nights game was a scrappy error laden affair but more importantly the standard was on a par with the majority of games that have been played by other teams over the 2024 season. In today’s modern game it’s what that can be expected. Go to the thread that Port posters use to comment on other team’s games and their comments regarding the general standard of today’s game are very telling. ‘Champagne’ football is a thing of the past. There will patches of brilliance but the remainder will be a moving scrum of about 20+ players trying to get that bloody ball out into the open.
Port will take those 4 priceless points and get ready for their next game. Mission has been accomplished as on their calendar the Port hierarchy would have pencilled in (nay inked in) the game on the 26th April, 2024 as a win!

Last edited:
Sweet was pretty good
Burgoyne was great
Williams was average.

You may get the chance to test that theory next week as I doubt that Aliir will be playing.

As for the rest of the game our problems up forward will not go away! Kicking 1.9 is not the way to win footy games. We lead in all the stats yet only fell over the line albeit with injury to key players. Defence is important for sure and you make some good points but we have more pressing issues up forward where Marshall is out of form, Dixon is nearing the end of his career and Georgiades cannot kick straight to save his fn life.

I agree with you on Burgoyne and Sweet. Both of them were very good and exceeded my expectations. Jase is definitely a player of the future and has the pedigree to be a significant player for us. Jordan Sweet has shown he has the ability but of course the challenge is to develop some consistency. If Sweet continues to build on last night's game it will be interesting to see what happens when Soldo is fit again. I am not sure that playing two ruckmen is the answer.

Last edited:
You may get the chance to test that theory next week as I doubt that Aliir will be playing.

As for the rest of the game our problems up forward will not go away! Kicking 1.9 is not the way to win footy games. We lead in all the stats yet only fell over the line albeit with injury to key players. Defence is important for sure and you make some good points but we have more pressing issues up forward where Marshall is out of form, Dixon is nearing the end of his career and Georgiades cannot kick straight to save his fn life.

Up forward we rely on individuals rather than and real structure and method.

I get tired watching our entries.

Good evening Dixon haters

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Still here! So he kicked straight? Big freaking deal. First time for everything . Lost count how many times he spoiled team mates in the marking contest making unrealistic attempts or when teammates are in a better position to mark and the ball being whisked away.

Last edited:
Bill Murray Film GIF by Hollywood Suite

Despite a win a real false economy.

Marshall, MG have got the yips
DBJ as a forward is seriously questionable and will get exposed
Boak is in the contest a lot but a touch off the modern pace
Dixon won't sustain the sole forward duties all season
Houston, Burgoyne, Farrell had a feast but the turnovers in part of the ground allowed it
Rozee still learning a lot as a captain to lead onfield

Well was trying to get the journo’s
Opinion not his. He asked them where do they place Port. He’s right play finals maybe top 4!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back