News Ivan Soldo's trade to St Kilda falls through

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what round it is but the Ivan Soldo v Kane Cornes bun fight is getting interesting. As usual Kane a lot to say without necessarily having all the facts. Kane attacked Ivan re the latter's non appearance at the Port B&F. Ivan has fired back saying he had a legitimate reason for non attendance as he was best man at his best friend's wedding. Ivan points out he cleared this with the Club.

Kane Cornes is not the only one to attack Ivan Soldo for not being at the B&F. Nathan Buckley also had a bit to say...

In the face of media criticism it would be nice of the PAFC to publicly back the player on this issue. Maybe they have and I missed it?

The question now is where to from here for Ivan Soldo and the PAFC ?
The most absurd part too is that he wasn't even the only player to miss the B&F due to a wedding. Literally, the "fan favourite" "superstar" whose retirement prompted something like 20 IG posts, Charlie Dixon missed the B&F (his last as a player) because of his sister's wedding. Now granted, Dixon's sister was getting married overseas (Spain I think?) but nonetheless, you've got a commitment to your friends or your family on an important day for them, that's completely fine. Why Ivan's getting the heat put on him specifically isn't a mystery, but it's quite ironic nonetheless.

Sooking it up and requesting a trade as soon as his one season at Port didn’t go his way? His manager accusing Port of mismanaging his injury?

I've got no problem with him looking elsewhere. The AFL ruck merry go round is a real thing, second string rucks are moving all the time and with increasing regularity trying to find somewhere they can challenge for the #1 spot (Sweet and Soldo himself being examples of this coming to Port just last year).

The injury mismanagement stuff I hadn't heard about.

I feel like Soldo wanting to leave is much more on the club than it is on Soldo.

It was a poor fit, both from a club needs view and cultural perspective, and we shouldn't have got him.

I've got no problem with him looking elsewhere. The AFL ruck merry go round is a real thing, second string rucks are moving all the time and with increasing regularity trying to find somewhere they can challenge for the #1 spot (Sweet and Soldo himself being examples of this coming to Port just last year).

The injury mismanagement stuff I hadn't heard about.
He's not a culture problem at the Club, so the Club are fine if for whatever reason a deal doesn't get done.

His manager is trying to drive down his price, telling the Saints that Port have mismanaged his knee issue this season.

I'm confident a deal gets done - but I wouldn't expect the price to be high.
TeeKray this is what I’m referring to. If it’s true, it was a crappy thing to do. Hopefully Ivan and the club can put everything behind them, because he is a decent ruck. Just needs to put his head down though, and work for his spot. As for his girlfriend, for the sake of their relationship I hope she can show some understanding that AFL careers are short, and at 28 with some injury history, Ivan doesn’t have a lot of years left.

Also reportedly didn't show up to our finals, which if true is a worse offence than not showing up to the B&F.

Has this been reported anywhere other than someone on BigFooty saying it and everyone else just blindly accepting it as fact? I doubt it's true.

TeeKray this is what I’m referring to. If it’s true, it was a crappy thing to do. Hopefully Ivan and the club can put everything behind them, because he is a decent ruck. Just needs to put his head down though, and work for his spot. As for his girlfriend, for the sake of their relationship I hope she can show some understanding that AFL careers are short, and at 28 with some injury history, Ivan doesn’t have a lot of years left.

Fair enough, I see that as just his manager trying to get the deal across the line but yes it does make it a little awkward for him when he goes back to the club. I think he'll be fine though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he needs a new manager. His manager trying to drive down his price by telling the saints that his knee has been mismanaged. The saints baulking on the trade because his knee has been mismanaged?

No because they didn't want to pay a 2nd rounder Port was asking.
Instead they thought the trade can be done cheaply with a 4th round pick using his knee injury history as the discount.
This was their (Saints) thought leading upto the trade period.

If Soldo wants to play AFL, he simply has to buckle down and reclaim his spot as the No.1 ruck. Tackle the pre-season hard and show he is hungry. With both Sweet and Visentini also competing for the No.1, Soldo cannot afford to take it easy and wait it out until next season to leave.

And the whole 'he wouldn't have wanted to leave if he'd won the #1 ruck spot' argument is pretty well blown out of the water by Dan Houston going back to Victoria to be with his new partner coming off of two consecutive AA's.

Turns out some people like their partners more than they like their job. As they should. If anybody on here hasn't found a partner that they like more than their job, I wish them the best of luck finding that person in the future.
Or perhaps he needs a more mature partner that respects his career and will follow him on his journey.

I’d be more appreciative if this was his 10 year partner, but didn’t they meet last year?

End of the day, some partners will support their working partners career and others won’t. Some career focused people will take their career path over partner. Neither is right nor wrong.

Ultimately, Dan was lucky he had an employer willing to support him as the Port bigfooty board is lucky to have such a wise and contributing person like yourself on our board!

Like every other Port player.

that-was-cold-blooded.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

News Ivan Soldo's trade to St Kilda falls through

Remove this Banner Ad

Back