Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hinkley has made some pretty drastic changes to our gameplay every year he’s been in charge. I feel like this is part of the problem in some ways. He keeps trying to reinvent the wheel hoping something works. I’m sick of seeing our structures fall apart

Every year? try every week this year (and sometimes within games).
Our structures fall apart because we don't have any, it is totally dependent on who is playing.

Ryder out, R Gray in
Barry, SPP out, McKenzie, Amon in
McKenzie, Rockliff, Marshall out, Thomas, Neade, Hombsch in
Thomas, Hartlett out, Barry, A Johnson in,
Clurey, Wingard out , Pittard, Ryder in

With the possible exceptions of Amon for Barry and Johnson for Thomas, we haven't replaced an injured or poor form player with another that plays the same role. It is always pick the 22 players we want, and then create a strategy for them.

Can someone with more acumen than me regarding the latest coaching describe why in the 1st qtr v eagles, a WC player had the ball in the backlines looking to dispose of it and was given time and space by A Johnson who was standing off about 10m away trying to guard a possible free target behind him? Surely it is better to pressure the guy in possesion into quickly disposing of it rather than 'sweating off"?

Didn’t our performances get called soft a few times in the past few years, and Hinkleys response was then and was now, basically “yep”...

Why do you think Hinkley is the right man? substance please
Firstly i dont look to supporters opinions of him. Their is much much much varience according to whether win or loose that week. I have consistently critisized this bandwagon effect or what ever you want to call it.

My first line of defence is the apparent respect, acknowledgment of those in the industry who have first hand experience of him and or reports from them regarding him. Your good self being an avid poster should be aware of them, without me having to documenT, but it can depend on the filters etC a person pits on this info. Eg climate change skeptics will just assimilate quanterary info and maintain their belief system. I guess a good example is players who have gone to the club who have inTeracted wiTh him or checked him out. No douBt he has strenghts and not strengTHS AS WELL and it comes to down to group management skills. Go the power

Firstly i dont look to supporters opinions of him. Their is much much much varience according to whether win or loose that week. I have consistently critisized this bandwagon effect or what ever you want to call it.

My first line of defence is the apparent respect, acknowledgment of those in the industry who have first hand experience of him and or reports from them regarding him. Your good self being an avid poster should be aware of them, without me having to documenT, but it can depend on the filters etC a person pits on this info. Eg climate change skeptics will just assimilate quanterary info and maintain their belief system. I guess a good example is players who have gone to the club who have inTeracted wiTh him or checked him out. No douBt he has strenghts and not strengTHS AS WELL and it comes to down to group management skills. Go the power

And Tex Walker is the best captain in the league.

Ps. I think your shift button is sticky.

Legendary coaches with infinitely superior records and reputations have been sacked/not renewed when it's become bleedingly obvious they've run their race.

You're placing Ken Hinkley's ongoing employment above Port Adelaide, the antithesis of everything the club stands stood for, because he rates his **** off with a stack of Geelong blokes (where he was successful as a lieutenant) and Keith Thomas (who he knew from their Fitzroy days).

This club's going down the drain and you're enabling it.

The Facebook crowd have finally woken up to this fraud. One year too late, however. I still remember how happy so many people were when we re-signed him at the end of last year. So tragic.

The thing is, barring a few notable examples, sportspeople and coaches who have been able to achieve sustained high levels of success in team sports aren't necessarily liked or respected at the time they were destroying the competition.

He's fostered a culture where we don't lose players. Where players love the club and love to play football for Port Adelaide. But he's fostered a culture where we don't win, and ultimately winning is everything in football. Nobody will look back in the decades to come and go "oh man that Hinkley era side sure were a nice bunch of fellas". They'll forget us as also rans while other teams are remembered as legends.

Can someone with more acumen than me regarding the latest coaching describe why in the 1st qtr v eagles, a WC player had the ball in the backlines looking to dispose of it and was given time and space by A Johnson who was standing off about 10m away trying to guard a possible free target behind him? Surely it is better to pressure the guy in possesion into quickly disposing of it rather than 'sweating off"?
It is always better to close down space and pressure the player with the ball. The only thing you must not do, is let the player get around you. In addition, it should be one player to the player with the ball and then others cover the dangerous outlets, usually the corridor. If AJ did what you say, it goes against the basic defensive principles and what Ken said he'd instruct all players to do, which was pressure the guy with the ball.

The only time you "guard space" is when you're in your zone and you have the other team in "slow play". Slow play is when the other team has a kick from a stationary situation- mark, free kick.

EDIT- without seeing the example, the other example where AJ has "zoned off" might have been that he was expecting one of his closer teammates to pressure the ball carrier. In this situation, he may have been covering an outlet. Can't say for sure without seeing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is always better to close down space and pressure the player with the ball. The only thing you must not do, is let the player get around you. In addition, it should be one player to the player with the ball and then others cover the dangerous outlets, usually the corridor. If AJ did what you say, it goes against the basic defensive principles and what Ken said he'd instruct all players to do, which was pressure the guy with the ball.

The only time you "guard space" is when you're in your zone and you have the other team in "slow play". Slow play is when the other team has a kick from a stationary situation- mark, free kick.

EDIT- without seeing the example, the other example where AJ has "zoned off" might have been that he was expecting one of his closer teammates to pressure the ball carrier. In this situation, he may have been covering an outlet. Can't say for sure without seeing it.
I can't remember the time in the first but I thought it was odd when you have this guy specifically in the team to make oppostion sides hurry their possessions that here he is applying no frontal pressure to the ball handler. Unless something was occurring outside of tv screen view but my first impression while watching was WTF is he waiting for....

The thing is, barring a few notable examples, sportspeople and coaches who have been able to achieve sustained high levels of success in team sports aren't necessarily liked or respected at the time they were destroying the competition.

He's fostered a culture where we don't lose players. Where players love the club and love to play football for Port Adelaide. But he's fostered a culture where we don't win, and ultimately winning is everything in football. Nobody will look back in the decades to come and go "oh man that Hinkley era side sure were a nice bunch of fellas". They'll forget us as also rans while other teams are remembered as legends.

I guess the quip answer is check back in 4 years. I am not sure the time perspective as described is of much interest to anyone. Also depends from whose perspective looking from. From players it might be mateship, shared memories, grwing up together in a safe structured environment. These are just very young adults coming with little life experience. If i had children i would rather they had that environment than the essendon saga. As a supporter i enjoy the wins.

I guess the quip answer is check back in 4 years. I am not sure the time perspective as described is of much interest to anyone. Also depends from whose perspective looking from. From players it might be mateship, shared memories, grwing up together in a safe structured environment. These are just very young adults coming with little life experience. If i had children i would rather they had that environment than the essendon saga. As a supporter i enjoy the wins.

There are plenty of other alternatives outside of Hird’s drug den and Hinkley’s BFF jamboree. It’s not one or the other. We can be winners without abusing people but we might not necessarily be giving them daily wristies either.

I would have to strongly question now whether a big part of this is how comfortable the place is these days

what i think is a major contributer to our failure thus far is something not a lot of people have touched on because a smoke screen has become apparent

our recruiting staff

yes we did attract rockcliff watts motlop, to a lesser extent trengove mckenzie and thomas this off season but, Why did we have to do all of that?

since 2009 we have had the following players remain on our list from the national draft
09; pittard
10; no one
11;wingard
12;wines/clurey
13;byrne jones amon
14; howard frampton(probably gone end of year)
thats 8/22 players or 36% (i think)
why i have stopped there is because players in this range should be in their peak by now. 2010 was the most frustating year where we took jacobs ahead of a player we were predicted all draft period to take in lycett. as a result in 12' and 13' we went onto take shaw and harvey when we could of taken brown or avoided this all by getting lycett. i know a lot of water and possibilities could of arose but the ripple effect was getting dixon for a high cost where we dont have the talent now.

even so the acuasitions were significant players at their prior clubs due to their fit and structure. we expect motlop to have 20 and 3 every week, rockcliff to have 30 and 10 clearences etc but that just wont happen because theyre not under the samr system. theyre going to take time to adjust maybe a season or two and thats why were in the shits now. whereas if we developed our own talent whom would of groomed into their role into our afl team through the sanfl one can only hope it would of. een a different story

Legendary coaches with infinitely superior records and reputations have been sacked/not renewed when it's become bleedingly obvious they've run their race.

You're placing Ken Hinkley's ongoing employment above Port Adelaide, the antithesis of everything the club stands stood for, because he rates his **** off with a stack of Geelong blokes (where he was successful as a lieutenant) and Keith Thomas (who he knew from their Fitzroy days).

I think that enabling is a verb and a doing word, never any good at grammer. If that is the case i dont think i have the ? To do any enabling. I supported primus until the club call. At this stage he is running the race and for me it is too early to call this year. So enjoy your footy with the fluctuations.

So enjoy your footy with the fluctuations.

There are no fluctuations. This is a clear trend.

2015: mediocre
2016: mediocre
2017: mediocre
2018: mediocre

Be bold. Think for yourself. Hinkley isn't the pope.

When you inject new players into your best 22 and the record plays the same song, it ain’t the players is it.

Port fans need to reel in their expectations a bit. Motlop and Rockliff are both guns but did anybody really think guys like Watts, Thomas, McKenzie, Barry, Trengove etc. were going to make a huge impact? Most of these guys are depth players. Chances are if you replace Hinkley with a new senior coach, he'd cut all those players from the list. (except Motlop, Rocky and Watts)

(Tbf Barry has been okay. He's not a star but he has a lot of heart and puts in the effort you expect from an AFL player.)

Port fans need to reel in their expectations a bit. Motlop and Rockliff are both guns but did anybody really think guys like Watts, Thomas, McKenzie, Barry, Trengove etc. were going to make a huge impact? Most of these guys are depth players. Chances are if you replace Hinkley with a new senior coach, he'd cut all those players from the list. (except Motlop, Rocky and Watts)

(Tbf Barry has been okay. He's not a star but he has a lot of heart and puts in the effort you expect from an AFL player.)

Have a look at the field of potatoes you manage to make look like worldbeaters in an effective, tested system that extracts maximum performance from its composite parts.

We have every right to expect after being on the cusp of a premiership with the list profile and subsequent recruits (Ryder, Dixon, +3) we landed.

The moment KT put that contract in front of Ken we became the antithesis of Port Adelaide. F****** gutless. Terrified one nudge will send the house of cards crumbling down. We’re now arguably in a worse position than we were when Ken started. Why? Because Ken’s had five full seasons now to nurture top-end talent and develop a game plan around them and in spite of all that, we’re still a middling team. At least when you’re rebuilding there’s a glimmer of hope that you’re building towards success. In 2014 we nearly hit the summit of Everest and ever since then we’ve been downhill-skii’ing our way back to the bottom.

Have a look at the field of potatoes you manage to make look like worldbeaters in an effective, tested system that extracts maximum performance from its composite parts.

We have every right to expect after being on the cusp of a premiership with the list profile and subsequent recruits (Ryder, Dixon, +3) we landed.
If proof was ever needed of this point see Jake lever 17’ vs 18’....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back