Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially requested to be traded to NM on a two-year deal. Pick 64 is expected to be tabled.

Remove this Banner Ad

David King just totally against the thought on SEN a few moments ago. Had a swipe at Clarkson on the way though. Said basically why are North going after Darling - has done little for two years. Leadership? Standards? We are heading into the 3rd year of Alistair Clarkson - hasn't that been done?
He should be having a swipe at his mate. The truth is staring you all in the face. :stern look

💯

I would rather take a punt and recruit Richards and Owies and put them all at the feet of Larkey & Chom/Teakle along with Jy, RHJ and Curtis while our 2024 ND KPP develop in the VFL.

Instead of going short and sharp we’re going big and plodding..

Awesome..

The problem we have at the moment is that these blokes have to want to come here. Richards has an offer from Port. He’s hardly knocking them back to come here.

Lachie Young with pick 62 generated more excitement than this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only thing that even marginally excites me about this is that no one expects this bloke to have anything left in the tank, and therefore there are absolutely bottom of the barrel expectations. Under promise, over deliver and all of that.
Anything he does will be a bonus.
(But yes, the same argument could be made about my nonna)

Who cares, I don't understand this obsession to hating this, Greenwood goes off the list, Darling comes in for probably next to nothing... or pick 2 if Brady is dealing with this alone. :stern look

I don't think it changes much. We are going to sink or swim based on if the midfield functions next year and I think we need more forwards who are consistently leading out towards the mids so we can transition from a dumb bombing the ball inside 50 side into one that hits players on the lead or in space.

I don't care if Darling is only 10% of the player he once was... as long he is in a good enough condition to lead into space and draw players with him. Teakle wasn't a big leader and in certain games Larkey just stopped leading and we stopped scoring.

We shouldn't need to bring him in but I can count on two fingers the numbers of games where Larkey and Zurhaar showed any kind of presence when the chips were down this year. If the bozos you have aren't getting the job done you have to look at other experienced options. It was either going to be him or Membrey, those two were experienced and open to moving, Tim showed less enthusiasm so here we are.

We picked up Greenwood, we picked up Tucker, Shiels and others and when the good quality kids showed they were capable of stepping up these players didn't get in the way of the kids getting games and I don't expect it to be any different with Darling.

This isn't on Rawlings or Clarkson, it is on the players who have just gone nowhere. I don't expect everyone to have the talent of Sheezel, but if the others had his work ethic then they would be far better players than the rest of them are currently.

The problem we have at the moment is that these blokes have to want to come here. Richards has an offer from Port. He’s hardly knocking them back to come here.
Money talks. Especially to blokes on the bones of their arse..

Money talks. Especially to blokes on the bones of their arse..

It doesn't. Everyone we threw the cheque book at signed for less to stay where they were. The club has to generate the vibe that it is going somewhere, we haven't demonstrated that yet.

It doesn't. Everyone we threw the cheque book at signed for less to stay where they were. The club has to generate the vibe that it is going somewhere, we haven't demonstrated that yet.
Who have we thrown the cheque book at apart from Mr Darling’s retirement fund?..

Who have we thrown the cheque book at apart from Mr Darling’s retirement fund?..

In recent times, nobody, but when we chased Kelly, Chopsticks, DeGoey, Gaff, etc nobody left for more money.

In recent times, nobody, but when we chased Kelly, Chopsticks, DeGoey, Gaff, etc nobody left for more money.
Yeah but they were all stars of the comp on huge coin, no comparison to Owies and Richards who are probably on the minimum wage.

Throw an extra $100k each on top of Ports/whoever offer and watch them climb over their respective Agents to grab a pen to sign on.

We could save a few hundred thousand on Mr Darlings retirement fund and in turn have a more dynamic forward line for once.. probably since boomer and Lindsay run amok at Etihad Stadium..

Yeah but they were all stars of the comp on huge coin, no comparison to Owies and Richards who are probably on the minimum wage.

Throw an extra $100k each on top of Ports/whoever offer and watch them climb over their respective Agents to grab a pen to sign on.

We could save a few hundred thousand on Mr Darlings retirement fund and in turn have a more dynamic forward line for once.. probably since boomer and Lindsay run amok at Etihad Stadium..
Let me tell you something Stifler, this is exactly what we need to do. Make it happen Redfoo.

Collective freak out is way overblown. We need experience, he’s durable, very good defensive pressure numbers for a taller forward, premiership player, etc. It’s fine for where we’re at.

Agree it’s fine as a stop gap

But his second year should be vfl mainly
Pretty much. It isn't something I saw coming, or as a key for building to genuine competitiveness. But I can see how it can make sense.
Especially if the decision has been made to mostly play Comben in the back half next year, where he does the crashing rather than has his body crashed into; then we want someone more reliable than Teakle, CCJ or Pink taking a defender away from Larkey. Or, god forbid, taking the spot if Larkey gets injured.

Front-load the contract leaving space for others to get new deals, on the understanding that he will largely be depth second year unless form is red-hot. We have to pay salary floor, it might be better overpaying veterans whose space will be freed up than over-paying kids who then expect to be overpaid with a pay rise their next contract.
The only concern is, why would he do that if its really one year at AFL level? Unless that first year is massive overpayment.

Not concerned either way on this one. Yes, its short term when we need long, but its not really getting in the way of longer term development either.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially requested to be traded to NM on a two-year deal. Pick 64 is expected to be tabled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back