Player Watch Jack Gunston!

Remove this Banner Ad

I know he is a different type of player but if gunners had been fit for the grand final and was picked over Hipwood ,Brisbane might have saluted
Would have played him off the bench, definitely had a good quarter and half in him and he’d been there before a few times. Lion’s needed a cool head in the last !

I know he is a different type of player but if gunners had been fit for the grand final and was picked over Hipwood ,Brisbane might have saluted
Agree with this. Gunners has the footy smarts and experience to play finals, I don't see Hipwood as a big game player. There's no way Gunners was going to be fed the ball before Daniher and Hipwood at Brisbane.

What sort of contract did he sign at Brisbane does anyone know? 1 year?

Given the history (service from Hodge,Birch,Gunner for bugger all trade cost), Brissy should just give him back. Still a less one sided trade than Suns/Cats last year that got signed off

ETA: OK, 2 year deal at Brissy I'm reading. So Lions get to dump his remaining salary to us. Defo just give him back

Last edited:

“The Hawthorn Football Club has recently been made aware of Jack Gunston’s request for a trade.

“The club will now assess this request.

“However, we are engaged in other trade discussions that remain our priority. These longer term priorities may preclude any discussions with Brisbane progressing.”

Best mates with Bruest but that wasn't enough to stop him leaving in the first place.

Maybe it's a lesson for our list - The grass isn't always greener.....

His Dad died and he wanted to get out of town. Noone should begrudge that.

If fit he should come back. Given our forwardline is a mess I dont think he is keeping anyone out of the team.

We can do it with a future 4th.

More importantly he is a quality human.
I was really bummed when he left and am really pleased that he is (hopefully) coming back.
I like his leadership, both on and off field, as much as anything.
To many Hawthorn fans - yep he is a quality human. He played 11 years straight for us and in 3 flags.

He also left Adelaide after 2 years and now wants to leave Brisbane after only 1.

The club has come out this afternoon and said him being traded back to us is not a high priority. We have other trades to focus on. Fair enough I say.

His Dad died and he wanted to get out of town. Noone should begrudge that.

If fit he should come back. Given our forwardline is a mess I dont think he is keeping anyone out of the team.

We can do it with a future 4th.
Sounds dreadful but I totally forgot about his dad’s death. Yep that is a factor in all this for sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear my command of English is regressing just from reading Trade Week tweets...

Soon can't end the come enough ...
You meant "Rebuffing"!
Happy Andy Murray GIF by Tennis TV

Do you guys reckon we will get gunners because the club said our main priorities are chol and d’ambrosio. I really hope we can get all 3 done.

Sounds dreadful but I totally forgot about his dad’s death. Yep that is a factor in all this for sure

Yeah, we didnt want him to leave, but he just wanted out of Melbourne.

A year away he probably misses the friendships and is ready to come home. Would be great if it can be done. Hopefully the "we will wait and see, we have bigger deals to do" is code for "Brisbane, just take our F4 and dont make a fuss and we can get this done".

Do you guys reckon we will get gunners because the club said our main priorities are chol and d’ambrosio. I really hope we can get all 3 done.
I'm sure it will happen. Gunston wanting to return was apparently known weeks ago so it's not like we've been caught off guard and it's thrown a spanner in the works.

Gunners for a future 5th. Plays in VFL most of the year as a playing coach to support the development of Ramsden, DGB, Chol, etc. I wouldn't love the idea of him getting games ahead of those three, but think he would be a great asset to have around the club.

I cant believe what I just read on the Lions board by someone that hasn't taken the news too well or has no footy knowledge - a F2 if he wants to sook back to Hawthorn.
I am going to be nice and so only repeat another one liner a fellow Hawker used on the Draft and Trading board - there are insects in my back yard garden that have more footy intellect 🤣

Last edited:
Hawthorn have been a soft target for way too long. We're not in the best shape. Recruiting Jack would be great for the club's culture and collective soul. We need some healing. Make it happen.

Can imagine Brisbane have about as much interest in keeping him as the Dees had with Grundy.

I also find it hard to believe he wouldn't have shot the Hawks a text before declaring his wish publicly. I'm sure it could get done for a fourth rounder.

As to whether he is still a good fit for us? I hesitate, actually. He absolutely left with our blessing, but now we've spent 12 months finding options to fill the hole he left. Picking up Jack could very well mean a list spot that we could use to pick up Calsher Dear. From that perspective, it's hard to justify.

Can imagine Brisbane have about as much interest in keeping him as the Dees had with Grundy.

I also find it hard to believe he wouldn't have shot the Hawks a text before declaring his wish publicly. I'm sure it could get done for a fourth rounder.

As to whether he is still a good fit for us? I hesitate, actually. He absolutely left with our blessing, but now we've spent 12 months finding options to fill the hole he left. Picking up Jack could very well mean a list spot that we could use to pick up Calsher Dear. From that perspective, it's hard to justify.
Agree with most things you said. Calsher Dear probably wouldn't be playing AFL in his first year, though, but Ramsden, Ryan, DGB might be pushed sideways for a while.

The iron media curtain at Hawthorn has been lifted. Comrade Mitchell has torn down the wall.

Now we rehabilitate the relationship with our heroes.

Agree with most things you said. Calsher Dear probably wouldn't be playing AFL in his first year, though, but Ramsden, Ryan, DGB might be pushed sideways for a while.
He won't be playing in his second or third year either if we've failed to match a bid at pick 59 because we don't have any more list spots available!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jack Gunston!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back