Player Watch Jack Gunston!

Remove this Banner Ad

Shattering to see him in opposition colours next season.

Think the success Isaac had at the Cats swayed his decision chasing a further flag.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 2 years ago when the pies offered their first round before his back was cooked, we should of taken

Fair bit of premiership talent gone to Brisbane over the years

Hodge, Birchall, Gunston, Eade, Judge, Curran, Gowers, Peter Knights/Leigh Matthews (coach).

Last edited:
Hope our fans don’t boo him next year like we do Smith
I won't boo him, because booing is pretty childish and immature. That said, he's made the calll that our club is not good enough for him, so he is now just like any other opposition player in an opposition jumper and will be treated as such.
He can be celebrated when he's retired.

Thanks for everything Jack.

Can certainly see why he left and wanted to spend the final 2-3 years of his career in better weather playing for a top 6 team as opposed to a bottom 6 team though.
So why don’t players like Ziebell and Goldstein walk out and search for some success? Or any decent players from bottom teams?
Piss poor move to walk out on your team especially after tasting success. Smith and now Gunston have trashed their Hawthorn legacy. Total respect for players light Punky that see it out.

Hard to watch another flag hero playing out their career in another club's colours. Also hard to see us get nothing for him given we haven't got a lot out of him the last two years due to injury. Comparing his output over that time to what we could have got for him stings. Having said that, this is not Gunston's fault, and I do wish him luck at Brisbane. I just wish we could either manage to get something out of these exists ourselves or keep them in brown and gold until the end.

Was super important for us when we were at our peak, 3, 4 and 4 goals in each of the finals in 2013. 3,2 and 2 in 2014, and then and 1 and 4 in 2015 (only played 2 finals that year). To have scored a goal in every final he played during the 3-peat and at least 3 goals in 5 of the 8 finals is amazing. Possibly our most consistent goal kicker in finals games during that period. Kicked 2 in each of the 2012 finals he played, and 1 and 2 in the two finals in 2016. Only held goalless in one of his 14 finals (tigers in 2018, but followed up with 3 the next week against Melbourne). Given who he was sharing the forward line with, this is an amazing set of finals games. If we are not competing before he retires, I hope he can get Brisbane over the line for a flag with some of that conistent finals goal kicking! Of course even better would be DGB holding him goalless in a Grand final in his final (and losing) AFL game :)

Shattering to see him in opposition colours next season.

Think the success Isaac had at the Cats swayed his decision chasing a further flag.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 2 years ago when the pies offered their first round before his back was cooked, we should of taken
That never happened. Their salary cap was over flowing, they had no room to add Gunston and even if they did the player has to agree to the trade. At that stage it was loyal Jack.

Jack leaving only fast tracks the hunt and planning for the next key forward. Sure there are sentimental reasons that meant it would have been nice for him to continue in our colours, but we will be over his departure by next week. His output will keep diminishing gradually which really would serve us no purpose.

Thanks Jack and good luck up in Brisbane

Well played Jack, great player and clubman for our club.
Gave us so much during our glory years.
Has been a bust physically for the last couple of years, like Birch before him, but no doubt also like Birch before him he will provide at least 2 years of quality service to the Lions.
Sort of stings this one.

The infamous 2016 off season' stench isn't wearing off soon enough. Poor list decision made then has had plenty of repercussions since. MUST keep A grade talent as long as possible imo. On top of all that, we're getting half eaten bananas in return.
Most definitely. Some really poor decisions were made (primarily driven by Clarkson) that can't be walked back and has created a negative perception of the club. It has set the tone for departing players and you can't blame them for leaving. Getting rid of decorated players who maybe not at their best but still valuable for virtually nothing was a major cluster#&#$.

Gunston is still an A grade player. A big loss!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GUNston, one of the smartest players on the field.

Wonder how the trades from the three peat era would rank - Gibson, Hale, Gunston, Lake, Burgyone.

Tough company to rank.

They all brought something we didn't have and needed. Burgoyne had the standout talent and will to win, but it's not enough to say he was any more important than the rest. Such an incredible handful of players, would be happy to land even one or two of this calibre over coming years.

Happy for Gunners he will get to go on, entering an environment where he has a chance to add another medal.

Personally, I'm devastated. He's been a remarkable pickup for us since day 1. Great recruiting.

Smart, and absolutely classy player. Just professional. So many great moments.

My hope has always been that Gunners had a long life and career with the club after his playing days ended. Just as many Hawks of the past have, and like Vanders and Holland do now, I hoped he may follow down the path his old man did, and have a career in footy admin. I still do.

Somehow, I hope Gunners days with us aren't over.

Kick on champ!

So why don’t players like Ziebell and Goldstein walk out and search for some success? Or any decent players from bottom teams?
Piss poor move to walk out on your team especially after tasting success. Smith and now Gunston have trashed their Hawthorn legacy. Total respect for players light Punky that see it out.
I dunno - maybe they haven’t suffered the unexpected passing of a parent?

Nor do they have a former coach suggesting a change of environment could be good in the current circumstance.

Trashing a legacy - give me a spell.

Did Frawley, Hale, Lake, Gibson, Burgoyne, etc trash their legacies as well by coming to Hawthorn and winning flags?

I dunno - maybe they haven’t suffered the unexpected passing of a parent?

Nor do they have a former coach suggesting a change of environment could be good in the current circumstance.

Trashing a legacy - give me a spell.

Did Frawley, Hale, Lake, Gibson, Burgoyne, etc trash their legacies as well by coming to Hawthorn and winning flags?
Luke Hodge is 100% a Brisbane person now to the point he recruits players from Hawthorn and his his kids if AFL standard will play for Brisbane.
Isaac Smith will always be remembered as a Geelong Norm Smith Medallist.
100% correct Frawley, Hale, Lake, Gibson, Burgoyne will all be remembered as Hawthorn premiership players not as players from their original club.

I can't answer for them but loyalty is a two street, If Ziebell and Goldstein were finished then North wouldn't give them extra years out of loyalty. Clubs will off people as soon as they can when they aren't good enough anymore and fair enough, but by the same token players have the right to send the club packing when they no longer have use for them.

I can't answer for Ziebell or Goldstein.

But for Gunston one can assume he'd rather see out his final 2-3 years in the top 6 and the QLD warmth, as opposed to gloomy winters in Melbourne in a side that has no hope playing finals.

I can completely understand the logic and don't think he has tarnished his legacy here at all, not like he even had the 1 club player thing to hold onto either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jack Gunston!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back