Toast Jack Lonie the resurrection

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s had interest from other clubs even before the last month. I’d imagine if we don’t offer him at least 2 years then he’ll be off.
It would make absolutely zero sense to extend players like Phillips, Long etc and not give Lonie a decent new contract.

I reckon we will find out in next 3-4 weeks about player movement and new admin /coaches hierarchy.

He’s had interest from other clubs even before the last month. I’d imagine if we don’t offer him at least 2 years then he’ll be off.
It would make absolutely zero sense to extend players like Phillips, Long etc and not give Lonie a decent new contract.

I wouldn't go that far. but he desevers another 1 year deal at a minimum.

If you offer him 1 year then he’s not a St Kilda player next year.

We gave Minch and Wright two. Got to do two for Lonie who has far more upside IMO.

Last edited:
If you offer him 1 year then he’s not a St Kilda player next year.

MG at a minimum, the only reason I said 1 year at a min is due to his currency rising only over several late season games. personally I would give him a two year deal, as much as this pains me to say I'd cut Minch and give Lonie 2 years. (this coming from a Big minch supporter over the years:'()

We gave Minch and Wright two. Got to do two for Lonie who has far more upside IMO.
Absolutely there Diehard...…..giving Minch and Wright 2 years was head scratching stuff......but I suspect that was to do with the Salary cap...etc.

I am not criticising Lonie but why it took such a long time for him to play a top game which we saw in last 4-5 weeks?

What is the reason? Is it just a contract talks that made him play like this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're crying out for a genuine small forward, problem is most are thoroughly fed up with what Lonie had to offer.
That was…up until the last month or so.

Whatever we get for him in terms of a draft pick will be a complete raffle when he looks like he's just coming good.

Keep the little fella, give him two years. We can still trade next year if he doesn't come on.

I went to a confirmation last night, the family have cousins who one is friends with Lonie from junior footy days and in a circle of friends with him. They reckon he "hasn't been offered a contract" were literally the words. Sounds like he's being traded or delisted.

Good news was the middle brother from this family is mates with Josh Battle, they played footy together and he's played with some drafted players and is related to some ex AFL players. He reckons Battle will be a star and is one of the best he's seen. He said he grew quick and lost some of his agility and skills, he reckons once he grows into his body he'll be a star.

They reckon he "hasn't been offered a contract" were literally the words. Sounds like he's being traded or delisted.
Patience there gringo...…..I'll bet things are well underway or at least starting.

The fact contract talk is in the media as a few have said...….me included...….smells of negotiation by media...….on the part of Lonie's manager.

I'm tipping that because Lonie has been "on the nose" for the last 2 years and is now showing something,his manager would be going for a bigger contract while that window is open.

And I don't blame Lonie or him one bit.

Patience there gringo...…..I'll bet things are well underway or at least starting.

The fact contract talk is in the media as a few have said...….me included...….smells of negotiation by media...….on the part of Lonie's manager.

I'm tipping that because Lonie has been "on the nose" for the last 2 years and is now showing something,his manager would be going for a bigger contract while that window is open.

And I don't blame Lonie or him one bit.

They were pretty strong on him not being offered a contract. That's quite different to being in negotiation with he club. They reckon he's gone and that's from guys that are close enough to him. Either his manager is not taking to Lonie or his mates are out of the loop and spreading gossip.

To me it sounds like he's not going to be at the Saints next year and it's the club's choice.

They were pretty strong on him not being offered a contract. That's quite different to being in negotiation with he club. They reckon he's gone and that's from guys that are close enough to him. Either his manager is not taking to Lonie or his mates are out of the loop and spreading gossip.

To me it sounds like he's not going to be at the Saints next year and it's the club's choice.
On the surface gringo......what you have said doesn't bode well.

I'm no expert but I'd be gobsmacked if the club let him go......this time last year I'd be all for it.

One poster this week put his career stats against Milney .....granted Milney was a "late starter" but Lonie was on par...…..I was very surprised at that.

Let's hope that Lonie is at least "playing dumb" with where things are with contract negotiating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Jack Lonie the resurrection

Remove this Banner Ad

Back