Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

You have to admit, we’re damn unlucky to lose the following in the past season and will almost get nothing in return for any of them:

Lewis Pierce (concussion)
Billy Longer (concussion)
Koby Stevens (concussion)

Jack Steven (mental health)

Paddy Mccartin (probable, concussion)

Dylan Roberton (probable, heart)

For all of those we may get a second rounder back, unfair world isn’t it.

You have to admit, we’re damn unlucky to lose the following in the past season and will almost get nothing in return for any of them:

Lewis Pierce (concussion)
Billy Longer (concussion)
Koby Stevens (concussion)

Jack Steven (mental health)

Paddy Mccartin (probable, concussion)

Dylan Roberton (probable, heart)

For all of those we may get a second rounder back, unfair world isn’t it.
Unlucky for sure...I trust the saints are doing a review of their concussion protocols however. I'm not suggesting they haven't been doing everythign right, but with that many, you'd want to double check.

Fox sports saying it will likely be geelong’s second or third rounder.
What a joke! The guy is worth a 20s pick, and I know the Saints are doing the right thing by him and credit to them, but you'd expect Geelong to do the right thing too. The saints aren't going to ask for what they should get for a contracted player who is a 4x B&F, they will make it happen, but Geelong should do the right thing too.

Even if it's Geel 2020/1, 34 for Saints 2020/2, Steven

What a joke! The guy is worth a 20s pick, and I know the Saints are doing the right thing by him and credit to them, but you'd expect Geelong to do the right thing too. The saints aren't going to ask for what they should get for a contracted player who is a 4x B&F, they will make it happen, but Geelong should do the right thing too.

If the Cats do want Steven quite sure they will be fair and offer pick 37..

He was a great player, I personally don’t think he is anymore. There are a lot of question marks over his physical and mental fitness and at the end of the day, he probably isn’t worth a pick in the 20s. I don’t think Geelong are being assholes here and looking to stuff around the Saints, they probably don’t think he is worth anything higher.

No chance hes 30 and with mental health issues. Put it this way if he was a free agent this year would they get R1 compo for him? Not a chance.

No chance hes 30 and with mental health issues. Put it this way if he was a free agent this year would they get R1 compo for him? Not a chance.

Are Scott Lycett and Steve Motlop worth pick 19 in a trade? Are Franklin and Frawley worth 19 and 3 respectively?

FA compo is often out of whack with trade value.

Geelong's second round pick for Steven is about fair. It will end up being 35-40 and St Kilda seem keen to let Steven go under contract. Anything worse than that and Geelong are taking advantage of good will.

Are Scott Lycett and Steve Motlop worth pick 19 in a trade? Are Franklin and Frawley worth 19 and 3 respectively?

FA compo is often out of whack with trade value.

Geelong's second round pick for Steven is about fair. It will end up being 35-40 and St Kilda seem keen to let Steven go under contract. Anything worse than that and Geelong are taking advantage of good will.

I know but those were younger players which gave the afl an out to justify inflatedcompo. Not even the afl could justify R1 compo for a 30yo. I agree a 30-40 pick is fair more than that and i think we will let him sit there and get him as an FA next year.

Absolute star at his best. On the flip side it could be a Mitch Clark sceanario for all the Cats know?

He's 30 next year and needs to put in a full and solid preseason to have a productive year. Is he mentally and physical capable of that? Time will tell but that's the gamble.

I wouldve thought Eagles pick 32 (if the Cats get that from the Kelly trade) is probably the perfect value, otherwise Cats Pick 36 will need to be good enough.

Big risk but big reward on the Cats part.

I would've thought the best place for him is to stay at the Saints though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i would love constable but theres no chance a straight swap would happen so forget about that ... in the end i dont think there would be to much back and forth over this trade .. historically speaking Geelong and St Kilda dont waste eachothers time when it comes to trading they dont tend to play games they just get the deal done and move on .. unlike other clubs Geelong and St Kilda just want to get the deals done and move on they are not too fussed on the "big winners of trade week" like some other clubs

It's unfortunate but he might not even make it back to AFL standard. His last game was abysmal and not even close to AFL standard.

His value is third round at his age health and time out of the game.

St kilda need to stop trying to value him based off what he was worth before and realise his worth right now and unfortunately they won't get anything for him on the market

i would love constable but theres no chance a straight swap would happen so forget about that ... in the end i dont think there would be to much back and forth over this trade .. historically speaking Geelong and St Kilda dont waste eachothers time when it comes to trading they dont tend to play games they just get the deal done and move on .. unlike other clubs Geelong and St Kilda just want to get the deals done and move on they are not too fussed on the "big winners of trade week" like some other clubs

Nope we would expect a lot more for constable. I doubt we want to let constable go at all. Constable is worth a lot more than Steven

He most likely replaces kelly next year

Absolute star at his best. On the flip side it could be a Mitch Clark sceanario for all the Cats know?

He's 30 next year and needs to put in a full and solid preseason to have a productive year. Is he mentally and physical capable of that? Time will tell but that's the gamble.

I wouldve thought Eagles pick 32 (if the Cats get that from the Kelly trade) is probably the perfect value, otherwise Cats Pick 36 will need to be good enough.

Big risk but big reward on the Cats part.

I would've thought the best place for him is to stay at the Saints though.

Steven market value is a late second/early third. I think late second is being generous too.

Players who take time away from a club and away from physical conditioning at that age have terrible track records of coming back the same.

The shape he is in is terrible... He might not be able to recapture his level of fitness with what he has done to his health. His done a whopper amount of damage to his fitness base. To the point he can't even run through the midfield anymore. That is very concerning he has lost so much fitness to the point his only capable of a HF flank role

Steven market value is a late second/early third. I think late second is being generous too.

Players who take time away from a club and away from physical conditioning at that age have terrible track records of coming back the same.

The shape he is in is terrible... He might not be able to recapture his level of fitness with what he has done to his health. His done a whopper amount of damage to his fitness base. To the point he can't even run through the midfield anymore. That is very concerning he has lost so much fitness to the point his only capable of a HF flank role
Probably not even good enough to get on the cats list with this wrap up. I'm surprised they want to trade for him 🙄

Probably not even good enough to get on the cats list with this wrap up. I'm surprised they want to trade for him 🙄

He wants to come to us.

Don't need your permission to discuss value of players wanting to move to Geelong.

Sorry but get over dangerfield, it was years ago now and your clubs finished its period. Move on. Why else would you be in here??

It's unfortunate but he might not even make it back to AFL standard. His last game was abysmal and not even close to AFL standard.

His value is third round at his age health and time out of the game.

St kilda need to stop trying to value him based off what he was worth before and realise his worth right now and unfortunately they won't get anything for him on the market
you are right to an extent his value has plummeted due to this year it certainly has … the thing you are missing though is you will not be getting the player who played in that last game of the season … that player was Jack Steven without training at all for a long long period , that player was a player who realistically should have been still cutting weight and building fitness not getting gifted a couple of junk games at the end of the year... the player you get will be the Jack Steven after a full pre-season (having been out of the mix for so long he would come back after Christmas ready to work), the player you will get is a Jack Steven desperate to show his worth to a new team , a Jack steven who will be working his butt off to meet the standards of you Geelong side... so yes his value is lower but he still brings a fair bit to your team if he goes there … without this years issues he would be a late first in value St Kilda know they aint getting that so they wont even bother starting there . the two clubs while in the past being fierce competitors on field during trade week have had a fairly good reputation with each other to get a deal done … I cant see this being any different .. I think a third round is not enough but depending on what other trades are being done I think Geelong will come to the party with something a little better than that a pick in the 30's I think would be about right

you are right to an extent his value has plummeted due to this year it certainly has … the thing you are missing though is you will not be getting the player who played in that last game of the season … that player was Jack Steven without training at all for a long long period , that player was a player who realistically should have been still cutting weight and building fitness not getting gifted a couple of junk games at the end of the year... the player you get will be the Jack Steven after a full pre-season (having been out of the mix for so long he would come back after Christmas ready to work), the player you will get is a Jack Steven desperate to show his worth to a new team , a Jack steven who will be working his butt off to meet the standards of you Geelong side... so yes his value is lower but he still brings a fair bit to your team if he goes there … without this years issues he would be a late first in value St Kilda know they aint getting that so they wont even bother starting there . the two clubs while in the past being fierce competitors on field during trade week have had a fairly good reputation with each other to get a deal done … I cant see this being any different .. I think a third round is not enough but depending on what other trades are being done I think Geelong will come to the party with something a little better than that a pick in the 30's I think would be about right

Your comments are reasonable ... Its a shame he was not traded last year.. I think you may got some serious picks for him..

Your comments are reasonable ... Its a shame he was not traded last year.. I think you may got some serious picks for him..
but the thing you need to remember is last year he was our only player that was even close to being a star in our team from a PR level having the disaster season of 18 and losing our best player we would have been killed by the fans and our membership that already took a hit would have taken a massive hit so i do understand why the club were not interested at all in doing that trade ... this year obviously the situation has changed with Jacks personal issues hitting a point where he needed time away from the club, also with the strong posibility of us gettin Hill in the trade period the focus can move away from whats best for the club into whats best for the player that we do have a huge investment in his welfare .. i think the really disapointing side of things is the way some parts of the industry are really lowballing his trade , your coaches comments i think do nothing positive for Jack and really dont help the trade at all ... we understand that Jack is for lack of a better term damaged goods in the eyes of Geelong but for you coach to air that in an attempt to lower his value in trade i think was a tad insensitive and honestly really insulting to the St Kilda football club and i feel it is possibly against what the managment of your club would want aired about the possible trade...
the fact is we saints fans love Jack Steven we dont want him to go but we understand that for his well being going is something he feels will help him. Geelong devaluing him and talking him down isnt going to sit well with our fans , you guys are getting a player who if overcoming his issues is a fantastic player... you are going to get him for a bargin regardless so dont be greedy and make us regret doing the right thing by our player by offering junk picks for a guy we love

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back