Jack Watts will finish his career known as a very high quality player at LEAST.

Remove this Banner Ad

All I want to see is Jack Watts give it back with interest to Nick Maxwell. I have never seen a more w***er thing to do then get your whole team to tackle a first gamer just because he went number 1.

Meh...Watts should turn out OK, but surely Trengove is the one to get excited about. Not much he can't do...reminds me of Gibbs with a hard edge. Liked Howe on debut, Jones has transformed from honest battler to genuine midfielder, Gysberts knows where to find it...bit to like about the D's, no doubt more if they had a game plan...Morton is still shitful though it must be said.

Some people sound suprised about Watts but isn't this a number 1 draft pick we're talking about here?

jack watts might just be touching the average player level. has smarts but nic nats influence on games is 50 times greater. cheap possessions as a loose man don't cut it. even leigh brown can do that

Nice game tonight, with glimpses of what he can be.

Three years away from his best, but just might be a ripper.

So he's faster than stanley or naitanui is he. What a load of shit. Loose numbers and sideways possessions. Wow what a great way to spend a number 1 draft pick.

Well he was faster than him at draft camp...

20-Metre Sprint (seconds)

1. Ashley Smith – 2.80
2. Jack Watts – 2.82
3. Stephen Hill – 2.83
4. Nicholas Naitanui – 2.86
5. Tom Swift – 2.89
6. Ryan Shoenmakers – 2.90
7. Nick Heyne – 2.91
=7. Sam Blease – 2.91
9. Luke Shuey – 2.92
=9. Taylor Hunt – 2.92
=9. Matthew DeBoer – 2.92

Agility (seconds)

1. Stephen Hill – 7.77 (new camp record)
2. Jack Watts – 8.03
3. James Strauss – 8.18
4. Nick Suban – 8.25
5. Ayce Cordy – 8.27
6. Shaun McKernan – 8.31
7. Neville Jetta – 8.32
=7. Dan Hannebery – 8.32
9. Luke Shuey – 8.34
10. Liam Jones – 8.35

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he's faster than stanley or naitanui is he. What a load of shit. Loose numbers and sideways possessions. Wow what a great way to spend a number 1 draft pick.

Actually he is.

2.82 20 metre sprint, 3rd fastest of all time.

But you're right bro :thumbsu:

Had a good game, could have made it a great one if another 3-4 of those contested marks had stuck.

Fast becoming a bit of a favourite of mine. Would love to see him prove the doubters wrong. Reckon he's going to be a very good player, and is improving by the week. His purple patch has turned into a solid 5 weeks of top footy.

Watts was a very underage pick. Slow bloomer and maybe not a Riewoldt style CHF but the kid has skills. Getting stronger by the week. Like the way he's being played in defense.

If he improves his tank he might be a Goddard-style elite utility.
Does Watts play like any other CHF from the past?

I can't think of a comparison...Might play more like Robert Walls who was a mobile lead up CHF who led up the ground and ducked back to take marks...Too slight to be a real pack busting CHF at the moment.

Phil, you've actually stopped reasonably arguing your point and have just been reduced to 'trollollooll, Watts probably doesnt kick it forwards and has blonde hair so is a fairy and was a number 1 pick who isnt the best so he must be shit 4 always'.

Take some time off, watch a Dees game. There will be a warm humble pie waiting on the window sill

Excellent summation.

Miles ahead of Naitanui but no West Coast supporter would ever agree.

A bit unfair, Naitanui is developing well.

Watts is hardly miles ahead. WRT footy smarts sure, NN takes the cake when it comes to physicality though

Excellent summation.

Miles ahead of Naitanui but no West Coast supporter would ever agree.
Just like no Melbourne supporter would ever agree that Naita is miles ahead of Watts. See how easy that was?

Seriously, watch a West Coast game.

I know it's difficult in Victoria to get more than the 2 minutes of highlights normally reserved for all 7 interstate teams, but there's no point in making such comments if you don't make an attempt to watch both objectively.

I would say Naita is/has been having a big impact on our team for about a year now, even if not every disposal is silky smooth. Watts on the other hand has potential to be a CHF gun of the coming decade, he has that much potential IMO if he stays up top.

Both play in positions that normally take 2-3 years of development before youngun's even show anything, so neither team is complaining about input.

But no, one of the players MUST be average compared to the other one according to most fans for their draft pick to become validated.

Dropped about 3 or 4 marks when he had the ball in his hands tonight which was a shame. They were marks that if taken you would say were marks that mirrored very good CHF's.

He's got the confidence now to jump for his marks, to move up the ground and to lead and attack the ball at full pace.

I still want him to become more of a traditional CHF, but if he's more of a flanker but can still get into that roll I'll be happy. I think Jeremy Howe was sensational on debut and could form a good combination with Watts.

Just like no Melbourne supporter would ever agree that Naita is miles ahead of Watts. See how easy that was?

Seriously, watch a West Coast game.
Not sure why we both sledge each other. You've got your CHF prospect in Darling and we've got a nice little athletic ruckman in Stefan Martin. Both of us should keep defending the heat that comes from all the other clubs and be happy we've got guys who when they get it together could be special talents.

Not sure why we both sledge each other. You've got your CHF prospect in Darling and we've got a nice little athletic ruckman in Stefan Martin. Both of us should keep defending the heat that comes from all the other clubs and be happy we've got guys who when they get it together could be special talents.
Yeah, thats pretty much what I said in the rest of the post (Naita = high impact ruckman around the ground who can do amazing x factor type things which inspire the rest of the team, Watts = potentially one of the top few CHFs of the coming decade)

I'm just annoyed that half of the Demon posts around the place about Watts end with a footnote about how far ahead he is of Naita, making comments as if he hasn't developed a notch since June 2009, instead of suggesting that they both might be, you know, alright players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Watts will finish his career known as a very high quality player at LEAST.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back