Confirmed Jackson Macrae: To Saints p/of 4-way trade: B. Smith (WB) & pick 45 to Geel / pick 38 to Carl / Macrae (WB) to StK / pick 17 & Kennedy (Carl) to WB

Remove this Banner Ad

You have no idea.

Naughton signed his contract extension last year

Naughton was extended in October 2023.
My mistake, I googled his contract and plenty of 2024 articles came up.

I still can't see why the dogs would be shopping Daniel and Macrae if they don't have cap concerns.

I'm also pretty sure Naughton's 1.2 only kicks in next year as he was contracted for 2024 already?

I still can't see why the dogs would be shopping Daniel and Macrae if they don't have cap concerns.

I'm also pretty sure Naughton's 1.2 only kicks in next year as he was contracted for 2024 already?
We're happy to keep both. It's player initiated as they aren't playing their preferred position and in Daniel's case, a longer contact.

We're nowhere near a cap squeeze as your initial post suggested.

#1 - he isn't on $1.2 million.

#2 - Macrae has requested to be traded to the Saints because he can be a regular in their midfield there, and can spend his last few years playing regularly footy and less of a risk to be pushed into the fwd line or in the sub role.

#3 - Daniel has said he is happy to stay if a deal can't be done, but if Dogs can get good value for him, he's been offered a 3 year deal on decent money from North and more likely to play every week rather than be sub or play VFL.

It's really quite obvious why both players are looking at trades and the Dogs aren't "shopping them", their managers have found them what will likely be better fits for the rest of their careers.

Sam Power trying to be the new Dodoro. Get a deal done pencil head.

As much as getting Jack would be extremely useful for us, the fact he hasn’t received a single Brownlow vote in two years of footy suggests that his best footy is well behind him, and at his age, is certainly not likely to return, yet if we pick up his whole contract, we’d be paying him as if we’re getting the 2021 version. And we’d potentially be paying him for 3rd year that we hopefully won’t even need him for.

As such, the most I would be prepared to pay is 45 and 47, or one of those and our future 3rd. Possibly with a 4th of some kind coming back.

Just to put Macrae’s 0 Brownlow vote season in 2023 in perspective (I won’t count this year, as he played mostly forward, off a limited preseason), Brad Crouch received 18 Brownlow votes that year.

Now I’m sure most who don’t barrack for St Kilda didn’t think Crouch was anything special, yet he got 18 Brownlow votes to Macrae’s 0, so we’re not getting a superstar here.

We’re getting someone who used to be bloody good, but who’s now just probably highly serviceable, yet who comes with the price tag of someone who’s much much better than than that.

As such, expecting to get anything like pick 32 for him would he like expecting to get what you’d get for a car that has 100,000kms on it, for an exact same price you’d get for the same car with just 50,000kms on it.

If they want us to pay a premium for a guy who’s on a premium contract, but who’s nowhere near producing premium footy any more, we should just thank them for their time and walk away.

If the Dogs can turn Macrae into Kennedy, they should see that as a win. He will play the same role/roles Jack would, possibly even better, for a much much more appropriate contract.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deluded if you think a player like Macrae is worth pick 47. That is what teams trade out for VFL level players. He isn't asking for a first round pick. A pick in the 30s is fair for him. Back end second round pick.

I rather a list manager who is a little hard, than someone who throws away picks like they were Oprah. How did a decade of drafting the wrong players, or having no picks because you threw them away on players with an injury history. Or who ended up playing worse on the Saints, than they did at their previous club work out?

As much as getting Jack would be extremely useful for us, the fact he hasn’t received a single Brownlow vote in two years of footy suggests that his best footy is well behind him, and at his age, is certainly not likely to return, yet if we pick up his whole contract, we’d be paying him as if we’re getting the 2021 version. And we’d potentially be paying him for 3rd year that we hopefully won’t even need him for.

As such, the most I would be prepared to pay is 45 and 47, or one of those and our future 3rd. Possibly with a 4th of some kind coming back.

Just to put Macrae’s 0 Brownlow vote season in 2023 in perspective (I won’t count this year, as he played mostly forward, off a limited preseason), Brad Crouch received 18 Brownlow votes that year.

Now I’m sure most who don’t barrack for St Kilda didn’t think Crouch was anything special, yet he got 18 Brownlow votes to Macrae’s 0, so we’re not getting a superstar here.

We’re getting someone who used to be bloody good, but who’s now just probably highly serviceable, yet who comes with the price tag of someone who’s much much better than than that.

As such, expecting to get anything like pick 32 for him would he like expecting to get what you’d get for a car that has 100,000kms on it, for an exact same price you’d get for the same car with just 50,000kms on it.

If they want us to pay a premium for a guy who’s on a premium contract, but who’s nowhere near producing premium footy any more, we should just thank them for their time and walk away.

If the Dogs can turn Macrae into Kennedy, they should see that as a win. He will play the same role/roles Jack would, possibly even better, for a much much more appropriate contract.

He didn't lose form, or the coaches trust or any of that. The club identified a lack of speed in the middle last year, to be one of the reasons we conceded too many strings of goals from the center. They put more focus on putting Treloar back into the guts, after himself playing a more outside/high forward role. Gave Richards a run, and used a raw kid in Gallagher at times. It worked, as the team returned to being stronger at center.

Macrae was pushed out due to the need for speed, and landed at a half forward role, to pinch hit in the middle. The problem was, half forwards need to be strong markers, and he isn't a natural half forward. The club know he is still a quality player, hence he played 19 AFL games and not 19 VFL games. If he was still playing full time in the middle, he would still be getting 30 possessions and solid clearance numbers a game. He is not a winger either, in a game that is now all about pace.

We want to keep him, but if he chose to go elsewhere, so he could see out his last few years playing in his position of strength, we were not going to stop him. Libba, Bont, Treloar, and Richards are ahead of him, and are quicker. He needs to be on a team where he can be the guy who gets it out to other players. Teams can only play so many inside midfielders, Dogs have too many. Plus the Dogs have said they plan to focus on drafting and developing midfielders next year onwards, given Libba and Treloar will be likely retire over the next season or two. Cannot afford to be caught with out pants down by not putting some development in.

Last edited:
If the plan was to continue playing Macrae at half forward dogs should have traded him last year. Probably gets a late 1st. Similar with Daniel. Value was only ever going to decline further in those roles and they would probably have been OK going if they knew that.

It's not just the dogs but I still think the afl as an industry is poor at selling high buying low. Clubs only tend to trade players when they ask to leave or once they have lost all value.

Pretty much what I think about Tom Barrass but West coast supporters want two first round draft picks for a 29 year old bloke with a dodgy back.

tumblr_lxk8seQ4Eh1r244lmo1_400.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Jackson Macrae: To Saints p/of 4-way trade: B. Smith (WB) & pick 45 to Geel / pick 38 to Carl / Macrae (WB) to StK / pick 17 & Kennedy (Carl) to WB

Remove this Banner Ad

Back