Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's an issue about the Bulldogs' salary cap being under pressure. It's just a basic TPP balance that is out of whack with Macrae. Clubs don't love spending 700k (even with the new agreement) on someone that doesn't appear to be a part of their best 22 moving forward. Of course the club will aim to maintain his value and say that they don't want to get rid of him.
Yeah, everyone misses the point. Cap is cap and getting rid of salary can help no matter what your situation. For the Dogs team, he's being paid at least 400k too much. That's 400k that can front load payments, beat out another team to bring in someone else, keep other more important players.

Yeah, everyone misses the point. Cap is cap and getting rid of salary can help no matter what your situation. For the Dogs team, he's being paid at least 400k too much. That's 400k that can front load payments, beat out another team to bring in someone else, keep other more important players.
Exactly, I’m even a bit concerned about it from our perspective, and we’ll actually be playing him more than they likely would if he stayed.

Just as has happened with them, I would sincerely hope that we have guys pushing him out of our midfield by the final year of his contract at the latest, which could potentially mean that we’re effectively paying him $2mil for a couple of seasons work.

Feels similar to the Jorden Lewis situation a few years ago. Both 30 year old midfielders being transitioned out of the squad, but still quality players.

From memory that trade went through for only a swap of 3rd and 4th rounders.
It will be something similar I expect.
He's a respected and well liked player and we'll get him to his choice of club.

I can't think where he goes or fits in? St kilda don't need him and it'd be a backward step for them. They have Steele, crouch already.

Is think he'd be a better fit at gold coast than dusty to be honest
Crouch's knee is stuffed. Which is why he hardly played this season. Last season he was arguably our best mid. So we have a hole to fill. Ross also just delisted. We have some young mids, but they are not yet enough.

If we get picks 7 and 8 fair chance they will both go mids as this is a good draft for mids.

So Macreae for a couple of seasons makes sense, but not if he costs much pick wise.

So late pick, or swap of late picks and deal gets done., with Saints taking over his contract.

Last edited:
Why did he fall out of favour with Bevo this season?
I keep hearing he fell out of Favour but he still played 19 games a few as sub which i don't think equates to falling out but Bulldog fans would probably know more than me i watch every game possible regardless of if its my team or not but maybe i am still missing something

I keep hearing he fell out of Favour but he still played 19 games a few as sub which i don't think equates to falling out but Bulldog fans would probably know more than me i watch every game possible regardless of if its my team or not but maybe i am still missing something
He fell out of favour in the sense he got kicked out of their cba rotation mid season. They started playing the likes of Richards, Gallagher and Garcia in there instead.

Basically right. He hasn't played in our first mid rotations for a couple of years. Last year he got some inside minutes while playing as a HFF and did reasonably well. This year Bevo has tried a few younger mids through the midfield and Macrae has been almost exclusively a HFF. He missed the first couple of games as he was injured late in the preseason and came back through the VFL too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still dont love it for the Saints but maybe I am underappreciating the run they have. Surely you cant have Steele and Macrae starting onball and dont they have better options on the wing?
Crouch is not likely to ever play again with a knee issue.
We need midfielders.
Macrae at 30 3 years left on his contract still really productive when on the ground. Will not cost the farm no brainer.

We can now go hard at the draft for more mids

Crouch is not likely to ever play again with a knee issue.
We need midfielders.
Macrae at 30 3 years left on his contract still really productive when on the ground. Will not cost the farm no brainer.

We can now go hard at the draft for more mids
He also then takes minutes away from those drafted mids.

I'm excited to pick him up in Dreamteam draft at least

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back