Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlisle is a difficult one. It is concerning if he does opt for either St Kilda or Carlton.

I mean really...why go to a club like St Kilda (will be r*ped of players at some stage) or Carlton which is a complete basket case.

Looks like the new breed of player going to a shit club to maximise money returns. He will probably do a Henderson at some stage to join a third club and try for a flag. It doesn't make sense to leave Essendon for Carlton/saints.

Of course us Saints/Carlton fans are drooling over what is potentially a good player. There is a great chance he will be a poisoned chalice.

Despite liking his football ability, I've changed my mind on Carlisle....Carlton need to learn to manage their draft picks and salary cap professionally and stop overpaying other club's footballers. Carlton should just be patient and work with quality draft picks.

So your club really wants him as you said by paying him lots but not prepared to give much up for him?
To put it more simply, we are in much more of a position to splurge money at this point in time than we are early draft picks.

We apparently didn't have any of our over 30yo group on the veteran's list this year because we needed to be able to put 100% of their contracts inside the salary cap, just to get it to the 95% minimum. Likewise we would have been overpaying some of the "kids" and front-loading other contracts in order to get to the 95% minimum. Issue is, once you've already had a season of front-ending contracts like that and overpaying others, you pretty quickly get to a point where you need to bring in another big contract or two, as those current front-ended contracts you have start to get lower and lower as the years pass, making it harder to get to the 95% minimum without bringing in or creating from within big new ones from somewhere.

We could probably afford to pay Carlisle as much as say $1.6mil of say a 4 year, $2.8mil contract in his first year, leaving just $400K PA over the final 3 years and leaving us plenty of room for another big signing or two over the next couple of offseasons. That would be a big part of the reason we're offering him as much as we are, because we can write off a big chunk of it in one season.

So as far as money goes, we are not only in a position where we can splurge, but we may need to to a degree to help us get to the 95% minimum, whereas we are not GWS, Gold Coast, Melbourne or Carlton, so we don't expect to have an endless supply of high draft picks and as such aren't in a position to overpay from a draft picks perspective. We need to make them really count and as such I doubt immensely, as I've been saying all day, we'll be giving up our first in a straight swap for Carlisle when he's not worth that high a pick from purely a picks perspective.

It doesn't mean we don't rate him or won't be willing to give up something good in a trade though, because I expect we will, hence my suggestions of potentially combining two 2nd rounders in a trade for a mid teens pick, which I believe is much closer to his pick value than pick 5 is.

Carlisle is a difficult one. It is concerning if he does opt for either St Kilda or Carlton.

I mean really...why go to a club like St Kilda (will be r*ped of players at some stage) or Carlton which is a complete basket case.

Blues are only STARTING their rebuild this drcat period.

Saints have been busily rebuilding and stocking up on youth sinve Lyon departed....and as seen this year the fruits of this are starting to show.

Carlisle joing the Blues now would mean several years as part of a basket case.

Carlisle joing the Saints now would mean joing as the Saints are ripe to start rising..

Make no mistake as the Blues first gut the place and then rebuild, that result wise it will get worse for them onfield before it gets better.
It is for this reason why the saints in the early part of their rebuild did not chase expensive FAs. then again the Blues have been stuffing things up for a while by being too impatient for immediate succes. From Judd to Daisy, short-term thinking has brought them undone.

Looks like the new breed of player going to a shit club to maximise money returns. He will probably do a Henderson at some stage to join a third club and try for a flag. It doesn't make sense to leave Essendon for Carlton/saints.

Of course us Saints/Carlton fans are drooling over what is potentially a good player. There is a great chance he will be a poisoned chalice.

Despite liking his football ability, I've changed my mind on Carlisle....Carlton need to learn to manage their draft picks and salary cap professionally and stop overpaying other club's footballers. Carlton should just be patient and work with quality draft picks.
He will nominate Carlton. So better start changing your mind!

I mean really...why go to a club like St Kilda.

There are a lot of attractions for Carlisle at saints.

1. they have SC room to pay him more than most other clubs,
2. Saints list is seen as good - behind Pies, GWS and Dogs but won't take much to get it to that level,
3. Carlsile would be a big fish and leader at the club,
4. The core of the team is in a similar age bracket 20 - 24,
5. Saints will be back at Moorabin in a year or two. It is close to Bayside and StKilda - attractive areas for AFL footballers,
6. Saints have a solid history of cycling through as contenders over the past 25 years - 91/92, 97/98, 2004 - 2011. Might not have gotten the chockies but the club knows how to get in the mix.

Can't see a lot of downside other than if he wants immediate success then GWS, Crows or WCE might be better bets over the next 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously Carlisle is no way worth $650-700k He's just chasing cash. Do not want.

700k is basically free money for the saints given we are not claiming any of the more than 700k of veterans entitlement

Add to it 140k and the front loading etc

It's a no brainer to throw that money at Carlisle

There are a lot of attractions for Carlisle at saints.

1. they have SC room to pay him more than most other clubs,
2. Saints list is seen as good - behind Pies, GWS and Dogs but won't take much to get it to that level,
3. Carlsile would be a big fish and leader at the club,
4. The core of the team is in a similar age bracket 20 - 24,
5. Saints will be back at Moorabin in a year or two. It is close to Bayside and StKilda - attractive areas for AFL footballers,
6. Saints have a solid history of cycling through as contenders over the past 25 years - 91/92, 97/98, 2004 - 2011. Might not have gotten the chockies but the club knows how to get in the mix.

Can't see a lot of downside other than if he wants immediate success then GWS, Crows or WCE might be better bets over the next 2 years.
Carlisle has a lot of gifts but leadership and maturity ain't 2 of them.
However I agree he is a good fit for saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back