Player Watch Jake Stringer, AFL'S biggest flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Stringer may not have quite fulfilled his potential, but isn't a dud selection for Bulldogs.
How affected is he by that broken leg in his draft year? Or does he use that as an excuse to not train hard? Or does he just eat too much junk food?
Maybe none of the above, just a bit unlucky with injury recently.
He was completely recovered from that by his 2015 AA year. He was scary good that year.

We turned Stringer plus a 2nd & 3rd rounder into Schache & Richards. Schache played a GF for us but was a bust overall, while Richards has been fantastic for us this year and last year.

His 2015 season was ridiculous.

2016 solid but at times inconsistent.

Then downhill with us before traded.

Covid season at Essendon he looked unreal in the midfield but that plan has suddenly disappeared. Why did this just come to a halt?

Has the talent, but his professionalism has to be questioned.

His 2015 season was ridiculous.

2016 solid but at times inconsistent.

Then downhill with us before traded.

Covid season at Essendon he looked unreal in the midfield but that plan has suddenly disappeared. Why did this just come to a halt?

Has the talent, but his professionalism has to be questioned.
That was year after.
Covid year I dont think he joined the hub. Which i get with his kids being the priority
But yeah, if you could bottle 2021 stringer, it'd put you on course for a lot of wins

That was year after.
Covid year I dont think he joined the hub. Which i get with his kids being the priority
But yeah, if you could bottle 2021 stringer, it'd put you on course for a lot of wins

Apologies - 2021.
That game against hawthorn in Tassie. Why did that midfield plan just stop?

Apologies - 2021.
That game against hawthorn in Tassie. Why did that midfield plan just stop?
Stringer had syndemosis last year
Parish had an injury that i cant recall.
Shiel came back and rutten couldn't figure that one out.

Edit - chatting to my mate last night who's one of the few doggies fans who'd have him back, if we can get that cameo role back, its good for 3-4 wins a year.

Given this is a trial gear for Scott and the list, I don't mind the slowly approach. But every year lost is a year less he can suit up for that. Though the irony would be he ends up being one of the few we play beyond 30 and can impact game

Last edited:
Stringer's worst enemy is Stringer. If you saw his 2015 season you saw what he was capable of doing, 2016 was a bit more up and down. He was quite lazy on the field in 2017 and didnt put in anywhere near the required effort. He IMO had a higher ceiling than what we saw in 2015 but he didnt have the resolve to take his game to the next level.

Stringer's worst enemy is Stringer. If you saw his 2015 season you saw what he was capable of doing, 2016 was a bit more up and down. He was quite lazy on the field in 2017 and didnt put in anywhere near the required effort. He IMO had a higher ceiling than what we saw in 2015 but he didnt have the resolve to take his game to the next level.

His form in the post-bye in 2021 H&A was what i'd say his ceiling was; averaged 20 disposals, 2.3 goals, 6.2 clearances and 6.5 i50s across the last 10 games of the season.

Never shown that he could be a full-time midfielder but as an impact player from centre bounces he can be elite. Hasn't really been injury free since the end of 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stringer should really be the cream on top of a contending team. Kicked a nice punt from outside 50 today to show what he's capable of doing.

Package delivered today unlucky to not have 6 goals

Always takes 1-2 games for him to get going problem is he'll breaks down after a few decent weeks

This is the thing though, next week he will be barely sighted. He can't seem to play with any kind of consistency. A drop off from today would be expected but his drop off is quite noticeable by comparison to others.

This is the thing though, next week he will be barely sighted. He can't seem to play with any kind of consistency. A drop off from today would be expected but his drop off is quite noticeable by comparison to others.

Nah that’s not it. He is more than
able to string together good games and does so often. But he’ll play 3 or 4 and then get injured, even if it’s something fairly minor and only 1-2 weeks, and it wrecks his form, taking another few weeks to get back to top form. Rise and repeat.

4 games into the season and we’re 2-0 without him, so not sure you’re quite nailed it there.
Hawks / Suns and GWS at home??

Hardly top form lines to write home about.

Anzac day going to be an interesting watch.

Nah that’s not it. He is more than
able to string together good games and does so often. But he’ll play 3 or 4 and then get injured, even if it’s something fairly minor and only 1-2 weeks, and it wrecks his form, taking another few weeks to get back to top form. Rise and repeat.
Accurate from what I’ve seen.

I think the biggest ??? I have on him is if the injuries are just ‘bad luck’ or how much is it due to poor training / recovery habits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jake Stringer, AFL'S biggest flop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back