Traded James Aish [traded to Collingwood for #26 and St Kilda's 2016 second round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

From a Brisbane POV it really boils down into three parts:
- Bastinac and 17 for 38 and 40.
- Aish for pick 26 and Saint's 2016 second rounder.
- Pick 26 for NM's 2016 third rounder.

The last part is the only one that makes it seem a bit ugh, but it's banking likely excess points for academy players next year. Very similar to GWS trading pick 8 for Geelong's 2016 first rounder.

Well done to all three teams for making the trades, as I can see positives on all sides.
To the Brisbane peanuts who were beating there chests and showing how childish they were with the whole "send him to the draft" crap. Are you now not happy that there are smarter people than Matthews and yourself making these decisions.
I think Matthews has shown just how irrelevant he is to the game now. Was a great player but is becoming an embarrassment. Brisbane don't need help on this front, as they can do just fine on their own.

Except he originally insisted Aish wouldn't be traded under any circumstances, in which case by his own definition no-one would have won.

And if you listen to his interview he made it clear that Aish would not be traded for another young player - which would be a loss for the club. He said that the club cannot win on that basis and as such, Aish would not be traded.

Schwab was asked about that stance after the Aish trade and stated that gaining an established player allowed Aish to be traded. I'll bet Matthews is asked about it too, in his next media interview.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with what North have done.

I would have expected them to have a crack at more senior talent to have a crack in 2016 whilst Petrie and Waite in particular are still firing.

As you said, North have gone youth for a long time and have a very solid core...a bunch of kids are great for long term but don't give much help next year.

We didn't really lose anything from our best 22 and have more finals experience in the younger core, given we had little chance at any of the "big fish" that would have helped make us better for 2016 we have done as well as we could really. We should be fine for next year unless we get certain injuries to irreplaceable players ie. Goldy, so we are essentially just backing the same group to get it done.

Having said that... that is only likely to work for us if we do better in the H&A. Draw will be similar for us so the keyword for north this year will be "consistency" something we didn't show this year.

And if you listen to his interview he made it clear that Aish would not be traded for another young player - which would be a loss for the club. He said that the club cannot win on that basis and as such, Aish would not be traded.
I think you're arguing about different interviews. Pretty sure his initial stance was he would categorically not be traded under any circumstance. It was the Lions or go to the draft.

Looks like a win / win to me which is exactly what Matthews was talking about.

"The concept of trading is everyone wins." Leigh Matthews - October 8th 2015.
Look I actually kind of agree with this was the outcome tbh. In fact if you trawl through my posting history (i wouldn't recommend it tbh, there is a lot of rubbish) I do mention once or twice that two second round picks is about fair. That doesn't mean that Mathews doesn't come out of it looking like an idiot though. I think this outcome would have been achieved without the public comments, all they did was inject a bit of resentment into the equation that could well have been counterproductive to negotiations. The position he took only made sense if they intended to follow through with the threat imo.

Hopefully basic wage he isn't very good can't get enough football
Your ignorance about Basti is really showing.

Played in the right position (inside mid) he's very good at finding enough ball.

I think he'll flourish at the Lions - at North his opportunities were limited as he was behind Swallow, Cunnnington, Ziebell as the prime inside mids. He's extremely good in heavy traffic and getting the ball out.

If you need another 2016 2nd round pick, maybe North can help.....

North:
Out: Bastinac, 38, 40, 53, 2016 2nd round
In: 17, 26, 28

Bris:
Out: 17, Aish
In: Bastinac, 38, 40, Saints 2016 2nd, North 2016 2nd

Pies:
Out: 26, 28, Saints 2016 2nd
In: Aish, 53

Geez i got close yesterday, 8/10 id say.

Hopefully basic wage he isn't very good can't get enough football
Bastinac is nowhere near as bad as you've been making out in this thread.

He's elite in traffic, reads the ball off hands really well, has a very good handball, kicks goals when forward and is a solid enough kick. His biggest weakness is a tendency to cruise through games, despite his elite endurance.

If you guys get him back to his best he'll average 20 touches a game and kick at least 20 goals for the season.

Played in the right position (inside mid) he's very good at finding enough ball.

I think he'll flourish at the Lions - at North his opportunities were limited as he was behind Swallow, Cunnnington, Ziebell as the prime inside mids. He's extremely good in heavy traffic and getting the ball out.
And he'll be behind Rockiff Beams and Zorko at the Lions what's the point of getting someone we really didn't need

And he'll be behind Rockiff Beams and Zorko at the Lions what's the point of getting someone we really didn't need

Remember when we got smashed with injury this year and had to play kids who weren't ready?

We've added some really valuable depth this trade period to stop this happening again. Really happy with what we've accomplished.

Three first round draft prospects on the way too.

:rolleyes: Please.

Brisbane's recruiting strategy is not that difficult to understand and is indeed quite logical.

1. Replace Redden and Aish with established players in a particular age group (23-26) for the short to medium term. Bastinac. √ Bell. √
2. Increase depth in the midfield. Jansen and Keays. √
3. Get Academy points to secure Hipwood and Keays (and Allison in 2016). I know this one is difficult for southern clubs to understand, but this is an important long term strategy to reduce the go-home factor to a level similar to those clubs in established football states.
4. Find a larger bodied forward in a particular age group (23-26), to help young developing forwards Close, McStay, Freeman and most likely Schache. √

Once again the Aish trade helps some of the above.

Brisbane gain:
Part 1: Ryan Bastinac (ready-made short-mid term replacement for Aish instead of a long term replacement which means we start again from scratch), Pick 38, Pick 40, (effectively Keays - who is a long term replacement for Aish - and key position prospect Hipwood who can play both end of the ground)

Part 2: 2016 2nd rounder, 2016 3rd rounder to add to Brisbane's existing 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders (effectively securing Jacob Allison - a likely 2016 Top 5 draft pick and helping with any draft bidding deficit from 2015, IF one is incurred)

Brisbane lose: Pick 17 and James Aish

You can keep trolling if you wish, but I can cut and paste the above as long as you like.
It's not trolling, my problem with the strategy is the recruiting of the senior players. They are all seconds players and carrying such serious limitations to their games that it is a stretch to think that any of them will contribute to any success your club has down the track. Bell would have been a great player 10 years ago but his weaknesses mean he will always struggle. Bastinac has the same problems and is a seconds player (yes he plays very well in the magoos but the drop in level is so great that even little Ben Kennedy dominates as an inside mid week to week down there). Walker is not going to give your forwards much cover at all, he is a very very limited as a player. In fact if I was an opposition coach I'd probably still be putting the best defender on McStay. Not going to comment much on Jansen as a I don't know much about him as a player other than the obvious in that Geelong don't have a great midfield and he can't crack a game for them.

There are sometimes good reasons to recruiting a few mature aged players to support the younger players but I don't see the Brisbane core in that great a need. Despite results in 2015 they actually have a pretty handy core of midfielders. They should be building around that core with youth, not average/ordinary mature aged players who aren't going to be in your next finals team. This scatter gun approach to recruiting mature aged player just because they're in the right age group (and ignoring the fact of whether they can play a lot) reminds me a lot of the Mark Neeld moneyball approach to recruiting that set Melbourne's rebuild back significantly. Brisbane need to back to themselves into integrating youth into the 22 not stunting their development by making play reserves. You already had too many ordinary mature aged players, this trade period has made it that much worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that the Collingwood have successfully secured Aish and he feels safe I think we will start to hear a lot more about the way he was treated towards the end of his time at the Lions, safe to say Pickering felt it was an unsafe workplace for his client.

I heard that Brisbane wasn't preventing a creepy Richmond supporter following him around to try and get the goss.

Now that the Collingwood have successfully secured Aish and he feels safe I think we will start to hear a lot more about the way he was treated towards the end of his time at the Lions, safe to say Pickering felt it was an unsafe workplace for his client.
Yet he lets another one of his clients go there that seem like smart a move to you to bad
mouth a club

There is a big danger of overrating players on VFL form. The difference between AFL level and VFL level, especially when it comes to inside midfielders is huge. It is still posible for <180cm players to dominate inside mid at VFL level. This is impossible at AFL level unless the player is very special.

You're giving a great impression of being as clueless as the real Basil Zempilas...

Yet he lets another one of his clients go there that seem like smart a move to you to bad
mouth a club

Completely irrelevant, once the Lions saw the writing on the wall mid way through the season they ostracised Aish completely. Bastinac hasn't even started at the club yet.

Remember when we got smashed with injury this year and had to play kids who weren't ready?

We've added some really valuable depth this trade period to stop this happening again. Really happy with what we've accomplished.

Three first round draft prospects on the way too.
Unless your aiming to finish in the 8 depth is overrated imo, it's better to be getting the kids in the team even if in the short term they aren't as good as a mature aged ordinary player. You got ruined by injuries last season but I would of thought it's best to assume that a run like that won't happen again (and if it does it's time to start looking at the fitness people).

Unless your aiming to finish in the 8 depth is overrated imo, it's better to be getting the kids in the team even if in the short term they aren't as good as a mature aged ordinary player. You got ruined by injuries last season but I would of thought it's best to assume that a run like that won't happen again (and if it does it's time to start looking at the fitness people).
We have already moved on our fitness program people ask Aish he still has one of our programs

We have plenty of kids and are adding three more top 15 types in November.

Melbourne were utterly useless for years because they didn't have the matute bodies to protect the influx of kids.

We have addressed a serious imbalance.

Completely irrelevant, once the Lions saw the writing on the wall mid way through the season they ostracised Aish completely. Bastinac hasn't even started at the club yet.

So you're saying that we ostracised him after he decided he was leaving. Geez wonder why we didn't' put much effort into him then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded James Aish [traded to Collingwood for #26 and St Kilda's 2016 second round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back