Traded James Aish [traded to Collingwood for #26 and St Kilda's 2016 second round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you saying you'd prefer to not have Bastinac? You'll still get Keays and Hipwood with the points you've recieved, so I'm really not sure what your issue is...
Yes I'd rather not have Bastinac a player who I don't rate if we were going for duds we could have done the same trade with Richmond and got Astbury a defender who we need

Someone tell me how we did well?

North received picks No.17, 26, 28 and 47
North Lost: Bastinac and picks No.34, 38, 40, 53 and its 2016 third-round pick.

This is how I see it, we upgraded all of our 2015 draft picks and lost bastinac and a roughly pick 35 for next year?
IMO it is a strange one.....

Think North would be going all in to try and go for a premiership whilst guys like Petrie, Waite, Dal, Harvey are still playing quality football.

They lost a bit of senior depth - Basti and Currie - and now have a string of draft picks and Anderson who is speculative and injury prone.

I don't see how they have improved their chances of going for a flag in 2016??

Bastinac (a ******* dud who can't get near the ball) for 17 and 26 picks that would have gotten Keays and Hipwood in the first place **** you Schwab you can now stay in Melbourne you idiot

I think Bastinac will surprise you.

Think North would be going all in to try and go for a premiership whilst guys like Petrie, Waite, Dal, Harvey are still playing quality football.

They lost a bit of senior depth - Basti and Currie - and now have a string of draft picks and Anderson who is speculative and injury prone.

We haven't but started to cover our losses well for 2017.

We look short, medium and long term, Brad has said that for years. That why for years we have always taken our top 3 picks in the draft.

The ageing list with 1 year left is the biggest myth in football.

Natural progression of most of our side?

Here's the other side of the fence.

If we recruit any more senior players, we are going to fall off the cliff to most on here.

But, if we get some picks in we aren't recruiting hard enough for a flag.

Our recruiting team hates trading low picks, as I said earlier in this thread, its been 11 years since we've gone to a draft without a first round pick. NDS, Waite and Higgins were all free agents.

80% of our list is still under 25, we just a a good 10 very experienced players.

Given what you have traded away, you'd hope so.

Geelong and Collingwood very much are focussing on right now. Usually its what you see successful clubs doing. I really do think its because both coaches are under the hammer and need something in 2016 or else they are going to get cut.

Where as the board and management should not be taking such a short term view.
We already have one of the youngest lists in the AFL yet according to you we are focusing on right now by picking up another 2 young players who are long term players in the trade? Doesn't make sense.

Also by holding onto to picks 7 and similar next year doesn't automatically mean we will pick up gun players. They may or may not work out. Plenty of duds over the last few years.

Apart from Treloar, who chose the Pies early, and Hartlett, who was barely even counted as on the market, there wasn't really much on offer this year that would give North that immediate lift they need, specifically for pace around the ball. Getting Anderson, and trying to draft well for the future - as North has done every year, although you wouldn't know it from the commentary - just makes sense. FWIW, although it finished well, 2015 was in every other way a step backwards in quality from 2014 for North - there's a ridiculous amout of improvement in the list we have over last year, and if Anderson slips in, that will help too.

We haven't but started to cover our losses well for 2017.

We look short, medium and long term, Brad has said that for years. That why for years we have always taken our top 3 picks in the draft.

The ageing list with 1 year left is the biggest myth in football.
Pretty much all long term this year IMO for North, which is strange for a club who has just lost two PFs.

Because I dont think Aish is going to be a cornerstone of your midfield for 10 years - if you want to be winning finals.

As I said, Treloar is a gun. That trade was probably worth it. But then giving up other draft picks is a big risk.

1 or 2 injuries, 1 or 2 players wanting to leave. How does Collingwood restock? Its going to cost quality players because you dont have quality draft picks.

Its one of those short term gain, long term pain kind of things. And Im sure it is because Buckley knows how much pressure is on him.

Aish is 20, he'll have 8+ years in the black and white. Treloar is 22. Hardly selling the farm for short-term gain when you're looking at 8 years service. We've essentially "lost" a first round and second round draft pick for these two (given that Aish and Treloar take the list spot of a first and second round draft pick) spread out over two drafts. We miss out on two extra 'potentially' higher quality 18 year olds.

We don't really need to do a major re-stocking given that the majority of our best 22 (or borderline) are likely to be 23 or under next year:

Treloar
Aish
Adams
Grundy
Crisp
Williams
Langdon
Scharenberg
Moore
De Goey
Broomhead
Marsh
Ramsay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because I dont think Aish is going to be a cornerstone of your midfield for 10 years - if you want to be winning finals.

As I said, Treloar is a gun. That trade was probably worth it. But then giving up other draft picks is a big risk.

1 or 2 injuries, 1 or 2 players wanting to leave. How does Collingwood restock? Its going to cost quality players because you dont have quality draft picks.

Its one of those short term gain, long term pain kind of things. And Im sure it is because Buckley knows how much pressure is on him.
Yeah, thats what it is. Why oh why would we get rid of draft picks and pick up such old players, seeing as we have such an old list:D

Did someone make crazy Vossy Brisbane's list manager? There seems to be an inordinate number of average players heading north to a club that needs to be getting games into the kids. In the context of Brisbane's bizarre recruiting strategy it's pretty bizarre that they'd turn their noses at our cloggers.

:rolleyes: Please.

Brisbane's recruiting strategy is not that difficult to understand and is indeed quite logical.

1. Replace Redden and Aish with established players in a particular age group (23-26) for the short to medium term. Bastinac. √ Bell. √
2. Increase depth in the midfield. Jansen and Keays. √
3. Get Academy points to secure Hipwood and Keays (and Allison in 2016). I know this one is difficult for southern clubs to understand, but this is an important long term strategy to reduce the go-home factor to a level similar to those clubs in established football states.
4. Find a larger bodied forward in a particular age group (23-26), to help young developing forwards Close, McStay, Freeman and most likely Schache. √

Once again the Aish trade helps some of the above.

Brisbane gain:
Part 1: Ryan Bastinac (ready-made short-mid term replacement for Aish instead of a long term replacement which means we start again from scratch), Pick 38, Pick 40, (effectively Keays - who is a long term replacement for Aish - and key position prospect Hipwood who can play both end of the ground)

Part 2: 2016 2nd rounder, 2016 3rd rounder to add to Brisbane's existing 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders (effectively securing Jacob Allison - a likely 2016 Top 5 draft pick and helping with any draft bidding deficit from 2015, IF one is incurred)

Brisbane lose: Pick 17 and James Aish

You can keep trolling if you wish, but I can cut and paste the above as long as you like.

Granted its a weak draft, I think we paid overs. To have to give up three second rounders, regardless of one being a six pick downgrade is overs. Especially after the Treloar deal initially also being pick 7 and a second rounder, which turned into what could potentially be two top 10 picks.

Think it ends in a win for all clubs.

Pies land Aish for the upper end of worth but not overs by any means.
Bris get the future pick, academy playes and experienced player they wanted
North get serious upgrades an their picks in 17, 26, 28

Think it ends in a win for all clubs.

Pies land Aish for the upper end of worth but not overs by any means.
Bris get the future pick, academy playes and experienced player they wanted
North get serious upgrades an their picks in 17, 26, 28
I say Kangaroos won big time Basti is useless and to get 17 26 and 28 great trading
Collingwood get Aish lose a lot of picks but get to stick out their chests like their winning
Brisbane get OMG why ****ing him ? Batinac some picks that we use for Academy players and some future picks
Everything but Bastinac is a win for all clubs

Always said the strength of our list is not the 30+ players, but the 23-25 YOs with finals experience under their belt.

We will be more than relevant in 2017 and beyond.
Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with what North have done.

I would have expected them to have a crack at more senior talent to have a crack in 2016 whilst Petrie and Waite in particular are still firing.

As you said, North have gone youth for a long time and have a very solid core...a bunch of kids are great for long term but don't give much help next year.

ok so you don't rate Aish, fair enough...

FWIW, I don't think having a poor 2nd year is too much to worry about, and his skill set of being outside and a good user is perfect for our unskilled midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded James Aish [traded to Collingwood for #26 and St Kilda's 2016 second round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back