Traded James Aish [traded to Collingwood for #26 and St Kilda's 2016 second round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane gain: Ryan Bastinac, Pick 38, Pick 40, 2016 2nd rounder, 2016 3rd rounder
Brisbane lose: Pick 17 and James Aish

Are all these picks useful for Academy players?

Otherwise it looks like Brisbane are getting shafted. .

Eh.

I thought if you traded a future first round pick, you couldn't trade any other future round picks.

Didn't the Pies trade their future first round pick to GWS for Treloar.

How can they also trade their future second round pick to the Lions?
It was St Kilda's second we received for Freeman.

Eh.

I thought if you traded a future first round pick, you couldn't trade any other future round picks.

Didn't the Pies trade their future first round pick to GWS for Treloar.

How can they also trade their future second round pick to the Lions?

Its St Kilda's future 2nd we got for Freeman, not our future 2nd, which you correctly state, we cannot use.

That's what held the trade up for days, someone had to write the above in crayon for Brisbane to finally understand we couldn't trade them two future 2nd round picks.

Someone tell me how we did well?

North received picks No.17, 26, 28 and 47
North Lost: Bastinac and picks No.34, 38, 40, 53 and its 2016 third-round pick.

This is how I see it, we upgraded all of our 2015 draft picks and lost bastinac and a roughly pick 35 for next year?

Only pick 35? I thought you were certs for 36.

All's well that ends well, IMO.

Two 2016 second rounders would do very nicely.
Hine off to have a long lunch with Pickers.
Wut?

17,26 & 28 for Bastinac. Id say we done quite alright for ourselves.
Brisbane wouldn't have used 17 as a live pick as they have academy players to pay for. This way they still get the points with late picks, get a player, and get future picks for next years draft.

They did very well.
2 second round picks is what most of us said from day 1.
I'd say you should be charged with theft.
Yep. Poor result for Leigh.

Charles Bronson says :thumbsdown:
So?We got a 2nd rnd for one that played none.
#backflip #inhinewetrust
Collingwood fans are still crying about the Beams deal.

But I got to say, your VFL team will be stacked.
We went out and got the 3 players we wanted? We did as well as we could have.
Brisbane gain:
Part 1: Ryan Bastinac (replacement for Aish), Pick 38, Pick 40, (effectively Keays, Hipwood)
Part 2: 2016 2nd rounder, 2016 3rd rounder to add to Brisbane's existing 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders (effectively securing Jacob Allison - a likely 2016 Top 5 draft pick)
Nobody at Collingwood is crying about the Beams deal - we're laughing it up at the success of Crisp, DeGoey and Greenwood.
images
Well that's that then!!!
Yeh that's it but a very fare trade by all parties, Now as soon as I fly from Brisbane to Melbourne to see my giant nephew's I better pop-in to the Holden centre and buy them three new badges each of Howe, Treloar and now Aish'O for there footy jumper's. might even pop-in to Swannys tattoo shop and finish off tattooing my whole leg and neck for a treat.

So are pies fans going to refer to him as "Aisho"? I've seen it in a few avatars and posts.
Will be referred to from now onwards as Aishy. Part of the de-brisbaning process ;)

Given what you have traded away, you'd hope so.

Geelong and Collingwood very much are focussing on right now.

Where as the board and management should not be taking such a short term view.

I can agree with you that Howe is not much chop (very unenthused about getting him). I can agree with you that we paid overs for all 3. But what you said above is unsubstantiated nonsense. Treloar and Aish are 22 and 19..They will be cornerstones of our midfield for the next 10 years. How is this a short term view?

I can agree with you that Howe is not much chop (very unenthused about getting him). I can agree with you that we paid overs for all 3. But what you said above is unsubstantiated nonsense. Treloar and Aish are 22 and 19..They will be cornerstones of our midfield for the next 10 years. How is this a short term view?

Because I dont think Aish is going to be a cornerstone of your midfield for 10 years - if you want to be winning finals.

As I said, Treloar is a gun. That trade was probably worth it. But then giving up other draft picks is a big risk.

1 or 2 injuries, 1 or 2 players wanting to leave. How does Collingwood restock? Its going to cost quality players because you dont have quality draft picks.

Its one of those short term gain, long term pain kind of things. And Im sure it is because Buckley knows how much pressure is on him.

You better hope those Academy picks are worth it next year

Jacob Allison (Lions Academy): The Aspley product with an extraordinarily powerful kick makes the right choices with ball in hand and almost never turns the footy over. Another taller prospect at 193cm.
"He'll be one of the elite kicks we're talking about next year. Already as a 17-year-old he's kicking the ball 60m and he's one of those penetrating, low, hard kicks of the footy." - Brenton Sanderson

Eric Hipwood (Lions Academy):
Hipwood is tall and athletic (203 cm) with excellent agility for his size, but he is still slight. He was used at either end of the ground during the championships, kicking four goals in a quarter against Tasmania before gathering 24 disposals off halfback in the very next match.

Ben Keays (Lions Academy): Keays is a combative midfielder, who oozes leadership. He's not blessed with great speed (but models his game on the similar Simon Black), but he does the little things well. He averaged 33 disposals representing Queensland across four TAC Cup games and won Hunter-Harrison Medal as the Division 2 best player in the national championships, averaging 28 touches and five clearances.

Geelong and Collingwood very much are focussing on right now. Usually its what you see successful clubs doing. I really do think its because both coaches are under the hammer and need something in 2016 or else they are going to get cut.

Once again, not sure how you have come to that conclusion. Our list is extremely young, and Aish and Treloar fit in that age profile perfectly. There is nothing short term about what Collingwood have done here, they've essentially finalised their core midfield for the next decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong and Collingwood very much are focussing on right now. Usually its what you see successful clubs doing. I really do think its because both coaches are under the hammer and need something in 2016 or else they are going to get cut.

Don't know why you insist on using the "right now" bit - if that was the case Collingwood would have focussed on established mature age recruits at the peak of their game, not youngsters recently drafted who haven't yet reached anywhere near their potential. You don't honestly thing any club, let alone Collingwood, only have a 12 month plan do you? They can just as easily trade for picks next year if they need to.

Are all these picks useful for Academy players?

Yep.

Looks like a win / win to me which is exactly what Matthews was talking about.

"The concept of trading is everyone wins." Leigh Matthews - October 8th 2015.

Brisbane gain:
Part 1: Ryan Bastinac (ready-made short-mid term replacement for Aish instead of a long term replacement which means we start again from scratch), Pick 38, Pick 40, (effectively Keays - who is a long term replacement for Aish - and key position prospect Hipwood who can play both end of the ground)

Part 2: 2016 2nd rounder, 2016 3rd rounder to add to Brisbane's existing 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders (effectively securing Jacob Allison - a likely 2016 Top 5 draft pick and helping with any draft bidding deficit from 2015, IF one is incurred)

Not sure how Beams is relevant anymore.

You sound bitter. Aish will play round 1 next year with his bestie, you guys get Bastinac and the picks you wanted, and North get 3 early picks.

Literally everyone should be happy with this deal. Not sure why anyone would feel the need to snipe.

I think Beams was relevant until - right about now.

In the currency of good will there was a deficit last year - there just was.

In the end we have received De Goey and Aish (going nowhere!) for Beams, Crisp and Greenwood for a couple of second rounders. Fair.

Justice eventually done.

Because I dont think Aish is going to be a cornerstone of your midfield for 10 years - if you want to be winning finals.

As I said, Treloar is a gun. That trade was probably worth it. But then giving up other draft picks is a big risk.

1 or 2 injuries, 1 or 2 players wanting to leave. How does Collingwood restock? Its going to cost quality players because you dont have quality draft picks.

Its one of those short term gain, long term pain kind of things. And Im sure it is because Buckley knows how much pressure is on him.

How many first rounders did you give away over the last 5 years or so?

Give it a rest.

Bastinac (a ******* dud who can't get near the ball) for 17 and 26 picks that would have gotten Keays and Hipwood in the first place **** you Schwab you can now stay in Melbourne you idiot
Are you saying you'd prefer to not have Bastinac? You'll still get Keays and Hipwood with the points you've recieved, so I'm really not sure what your issue is...

Seems like Brissie paid more for Bastinac than Pies did for Aish which to me doesn't seem right. :confused:

Once again.

Brisbane gain:
Part 1: Ryan Bastinac (ready-made short-mid term replacement for Aish instead of a long term replacement which means we start again from scratch), Pick 38, Pick 40, (effectively Keays - who is a long term replacement for Aish - and key position prospect Hipwood who can play both end of the ground)

Part 2: 2016 2nd rounder, 2016 3rd rounder to add to Brisbane's existing 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders (effectively securing Jacob Allison - a likely 2016 Top 5 draft pick and helping with any draft bidding deficit from 2015, IF one is incurred)

Injuries do not equal an exit so restocking not impacted.
If players want to leave then we get the best return we can for them and if it's someone the quality of Beams we seem to have gotten a pretty good return.

Free agency and becoming a destination club (like your own) are other ways we can restock if needed.

Seems like Brissie paid more for Bastinac than Pies did for Aish which to me doesn't seem right. :confused:
You need to take into account that Brisbane would have had to use their early picks on academy players anyway. They recieved the points needed from North through late picks, got Bastinac thrown in to the deal. It was a good trade.

Effectively 2 second rounders for a former pick 7 from just 2 years ago sounds like a great deal to me.

Didn't say you didn't well. You've done good in this trade, and very well in the trade period overall.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded James Aish [traded to Collingwood for #26 and St Kilda's 2016 second round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back