Traded James Aish [traded to Collingwood for #26 and St Kilda's 2016 second round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

We have plenty of kids and are adding three more top 15 types in November.

Melbourne were utterly useless for years because they didn't have the matute bodies to protect the influx of kids.

We have addressed a serious imbalance.
Difference between you and Melbourne is that you already have a really strong core of midfielders that can be built around, Melbourne literally had nothing. It just didn't seem like that this season because of the injuries. This years batch of mature recruits was unnecessary and perhaps counterproductive long term imo.

There is a big danger of overrating players on VFL form. The difference between AFL level and VFL level, especially when it comes to inside midfielders is huge. It is still posible for <180cm players to dominate inside mid at VFL level. This is impossible at AFL level unless the player is very special.
He was very good when playing on the ball at North. He just hasn't played on the ball at AFL level for 2 years. That's why people don't have a great impression of him. Agree with you about the major differences between AFL and VFL but Basti has proven himself to be a good AFL level rover.

Was on 400k per annum at North. Would imagine something similar at the lions.
Thought that was the case, i remember GWS sniffing around when his last contract was up so North had to pay well.
Narni, Adams, Basti, McMahon wouldnt have been on huge coin but i imagine we have Lots of room now in the cap considering we were offering big money to some players this trade period.

Thought that was the case, i remember GWS sniffing around when his last contract was up so North had to pay well.
Narni, Adams, Basti, McMahon wouldnt have been on huge coin but i imagine we have Lots of room now in the cap considering we were offering big money to some players this trade period.
we had to prepay to get to 95% this year. Ziebell got a decent sized contract a month ago and Goldy is out of contract next year and will command v good coin. We will have the ability to keep the players we want to keep and target 1 v good player next year (Josh Kelly).

McMahon was on good coin, Narni and Patch weren't. We have to pay the draft picks from this year and leave cap room open for the future youngsters on the list.

Difference between you and Melbourne is that you already have a really strong core of midfielders that can be built around, Melbourne literally had nothing. It just didn't seem like that this season because of the injuries. This years batch of mature recruits was unnecessary and perhaps counterproductive long term imo.

Totally disagree. Redden and Aish go out, Bell and Bastinac come in.

Jansen a speculative pick to add size to our midfield. Walker fills a dire need for a mature body up forward who can relieve Martin in the ruck.

All makes plenty of sense. Then add Schache, Keays and Hipwood.

Great balanced recruitment period.

It's not trolling, my problem with the strategy is the recruiting of the senior players. They are all seconds players and carrying such serious limitations to their games that it is a stretch to think that any of them will contribute to any success your club has down the track. Bell would have been a great player 10 years ago but his weaknesses mean he will always struggle. Bastinac has the same problems and is a seconds player (yes he plays very well in the magoos but the drop in level is so great that even little Ben Kennedy dominates as an inside mid week to week down there).

Bell played all 22 games for Carlton this season and was one of their best players in 2015. He will be an excellent replacement for Redden. Barring injury he'll play all 22 games for Brisbane next season and a Queenslander, so limited go home factor. Will play for the next half dozen seasons. Bell wasn't a seconds player in 2015 and he wont be in 2016. Perfect replacement for Redden, who is also 24.

Ryan Bastinac played 17 senior games for North Melbourne, a preliminary finalist in 2015. 24 years of age. 121 games, 66 goals, he'll add some experience and can play both as an inside and outside midfielder and has high endurance. Also same age as the departing Redden.

Bopth should complement a 2016 Brisbane Lions midfield of Tom Rockliff, Dayne Beams, Pearce Hanley, Mitch Robinson, Dayne Zorko, Daniel Rich and Dayne Zorko, Nick Robertson and Jarred Jensen.

Walker is not going to give your forwards much cover at all, he is a very very limited as a player. In fact if I was an opposition coach I'd probably still be putting the best defender on McStay.

Josh Walker is aged 22 and has played 33 games for Geelong. Brisbane are cryiong out for big bodied forwards and Walker can probably help in that regard at least in the short term. Chris Scott said early this year that he was "confident he’s going to be a very good AFL player.” He's had James Podsiadly, Mitch Brown, Shane Kersten, Rhys Stanley and Mitch Clark along with Tom Hawkins ahead of him and has been starved of opportunities. Walker played 16 of his 33 career games in 2015.

Not going to comment much on Jansen as a I don't know much about him as a player other than the obvious in that Geelong don't have a great midfield and he can't crack a game for them.

Only 20, his first year was interrupted by injury. Came close to making his debut this year against Adelaide, but the game was called off.

There are sometimes good reasons to recruiting a few mature aged players to support the younger players but I don't see the Brisbane core in that great a need.

Redden gone. More midfield depth.

They should be building around that core with youth, not average/ordinary mature aged players who aren't going to be in your next finals team.

Keays is 18, Jansen is 20, Walker is 22, Bell is 24, Bastinac is 24.

Brisbane need to back to themselves into integrating youth into the 22 not stunting their development by making play reserves. You already had too many ordinary mature aged players, this trade period has made it that much worse.

I don't think so. For reasons described above. And in about a month's time we'll be welcoming Schache, Hipwood and Keays.

Schrader seems to see what he wants to see. If it isn't convenient to his worldview, on go the blinkers.

It's easier for him to think that a bunch of experienced professionals have no plan or strategy other than throwing darts at a board rather than possibly consider that he may not know as much as he thinks he does about the list of a team he doesn't follow.

Schrader seems to see what he wants to see. If it isn't convenient to his worldview, on go the blinkers.

It's easier for him to think that a bunch of experienced professionals have no plan or strategy other than throwing darts at a board rather than possibly consider that he may not know as much as he thinks he does about the list of a team he doesn't follow.

He may not follow the Lions, but I think you could class him as stalking the Lions. Is that close enough? :p

Completely irrelevant, once the Lions saw the writing on the wall mid way through the season they ostracised Aish completely. Bastinac hasn't even started at the club yet.
I'm not sure if this is a poorly thought out alias or an accurate representation of what Basil posting on here would look like. It's certainly got the cringeworthy attempts to sound interesting that inevitably result in mind numbing dullness down.

Yep. It's clear that Brisbane have a targeted strategy of
1. rebuilding through drafting (which over the last few years they've been very good at)
2. using the Academy to increase the percentage of local talent to alleviate any 'go-home' factor and:
3. supplementing the list with like for like players to replace those that decide for whatever reason to depart. This season we've had two departures of players we ideally would have kept (Aish and Redden). However Bell and Bastinac will be adequate replacements in the short to medium term. Keays longer term.

Completely irrelevant, once the Lions saw the writing on the wall mid way through the season they ostracised Aish completely. Bastinac hasn't even started at the club yet.
That's why we tried so hard to re-sign the him right up until September...? :rolleyes:o_O:drunk::$

Wow so looks like we were the one who blinked. 3 second rounders and 47 for Aish, 34 and 53.

Brisbane and NM have done well.
We traded 34 for 27. So you can look at it as we either did 2 seconds and downgraded 26 to 27 or we did two seconds and upgraded 28 to 27. We downgraded later picks but I'm not sure we will use them other than for upgrading rookies given how poor the draft is.
We probably will only use the 1 pick in the draft, upgrade frost and another rookie and then maybe sign a de-listed free agent like the key forwards from port or Adcock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was fun. Let's do it again next year!

I'm sure one of Hipwood or Keays would like to play at the G in front of 90000 on good coin!

Well it won't be Keays. He comes from a Fitzroy / Brisbane Lions supporting family. His father grew up a Fitzroy fan being the grandson of Des Keays a Fitzroy Reserves player and himself the son of a Fitzroy senior player. Ben Keays attended the 2001 Grand Final.

Well it won't be Keays. He comes from a Fitzroy / Brisbane Lions supporting family. His father grew up a Fitzroy fan being the grandson of Des Keays a Fitzroy Reserves player and himself the son of a Fitzroy senior player. Ben Keays attended the 2001 Grand Final.
Don't worry, 2 years under Leppo might change his mind :D

Not surprised at the outcome, just as his Uncle predicted a month ago James got to the Pies. He was confident from day 1 he would end up there

This was fun. Let's do it again next year!

I'm sure one of Hipwood or Keays would like to play at the G in front of 90000 on good coin!

If they want to play in front of 90 thousand, then i suggest they would be smart enough to know that they won't get that from collingwood. Going nowhere under bucko and the inflation of your memberships caused by pet memberships are clearly apparent when only 30 thousand turn up to your home games. #Declining

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded James Aish [traded to Collingwood for #26 and St Kilda's 2016 second round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back