Toast James Kelly wins Jim Stynes Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

sauron256

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Taz
AFL Club
Geelong
Well done to Kelly, picking up the Jim Stynes medal for best Australian player tonight.

Solid as a rock down back, I thought. Pity the other players spent most of the night chasing Irish tail. :)

Re: James Kelly

Held his head high did our James! What a terrific year from a champ of a sportsman. Pity the game was a total crap-fest though, painful to watch to the end but I put myself through it. The cats GF win shorts at half time was great!

Exactly. Noticed he gave a speech before the start of this match: if I was a young AFL player I know who I'd be listening to out of him and Brad Green.

At the end of the game, Green didn't even need to speak. Kelly said it all before him and articulated it a lot better as well.

No wonder we did so poorly with a soft as butter captain like Green.

Was really proud that he was one of ours. His poise and pride said alot about the man and the club he plays for.

Joke of a game but Kelly was magnificent, and so cool under pressure. Surely he has demonstrated that he is captain material? Whether he wants to be captain or not is another thing though.

Has to be considered as Captain of the GFC as does Bartel. Both are leaders on the field. Selwood is not a leader on the field and has plenty of time to grow into that and become Captain when he is older.

Off the field well it has to be Bartel-what a great story, little kid from Geelong riding his bike to KP and sitting behind the goals to watch his footy heroes; Brownlow, Norm Smith, 3 premierships, face of memberships. Every kid would want to be a Jimmy B.
If he wants it then to put Selwood in as Captain is a slap in the face to all of that.

Selwood is not a leader on the field

Selwood was just as much a leader on the field as Ling this year. He's in everyone's ear, the first to congratulate or encourage, directing set plays before a centre bounce and leads by example. Not saying that Bartel and Kelly wouldn't be good captains, but Selwood plays with maturity beyond his years.

Selwood is not a leader on the field

Surely you are extracting the urine:eek:

Look at the North Melbourne game in 2007 a kid playing only his 3rd or 4th game was showing all his older more experienced team mates how to go about it and play the game how it is meant to be played.

Rewatch the 2009 GF have a look who is the final player to talk to the team before they come out for the second half.

The guy is just a natural leader and will be a great captain for the club for the next 8 to 10 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to be considered as Captain of the GFC as does Bartel. Both are leaders on the field. Selwood is not a leader on the field and has plenty of time to grow into that and become Captain when he is older.

Off the field well it has to be Bartel-what a great story, little kid from Geelong riding his bike to KP and sitting behind the goals to watch his footy heroes; Brownlow, Norm Smith, 3 premierships, face of memberships. Every kid would want to be a Jimmy B.
If he wants it then to put Selwood in as Captain is a slap in the face to all of that.

Not sure if serious

Selwood is not a leader on the field .
You lost me right there. And yes it would be a good story if Jimmy got it but u don't pick a captain for a "good story", u pick the best person for the job. In our case the person the players think is the best for the job.

Kelly is the main actor in the movie on channel 11 right now.
And Stokes is playing his best mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast James Kelly wins Jim Stynes Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back