Jarrad Boumann TO Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Well at that point in time he wasn't even getting a vfl seniors game, so no it didn't help us.

Mate you have no idea. He played every senior vfl game bar 1 at Willi in 2010!!:confused: Rocket had no idea how to deal with the younger blokes at the club from what i heard

If the club thought that was the case, the trades would never have happened.

It might not have anything to do with who the club rated higher. It may have something to do with Lisle wanting more oppurtunties as another year playing another half a dozen games may not of appealed to him.

Boumann is just grateful to be on a list at this stage.

Who will end up better I dont know.

Although both the same height, I think they offer differrent things. I see Lisle in more of the Dawes mould. Big bodied (eventually) contested marking fwd who can play in the backline on the right opponents. His kicking needs work.

Boumann is more a tall athletic defender, who previously showed the fwd line at higher levels is a bit of a mystery to him, but has settled down in the backline and looks more at home there.

Although doggies supporters bag him - he played for them as a fwd. They stated he was pushed around a lot. But most 18/19/20 yr olds get pushed around alot by mature bodies when playing KP. SInce then he has had another year of development and has had a further preseason to look fwd to, so who knows now what he will turn out like after a preseason, at an age where its easier to bulk up. (A lot of 18/19/20 yr olds at league std are trying to get fitter and stronger all at the same time as still going through the last vestiges of growing - as such find it hard to meet the increased fitness requirements plus adding on strength to the levels required in a short space)

No it doesn't. Gillies is in the mould of Gilham (body shape wise) same height same weight etc. From watching VFL and I'm sure cats supporters will agree, Gillies is more of a BP/HBF player and will probably play the role of Milburn. He has played KPD but was pushed and thrown around like a rag doll.

No he's not

Gillies 192cm 93kg 21 years and has the potential to increase his weight

Gilham 192cm 86kg 26 years has always been around that weight

Milburn 189cm 91kg 34 years has well and truly reached his maximum physical development

Gillies " Excellent in one on one situations. A strong defender"

Source,AFL Record Season Guide 2011

Give me the time, place and opponent when he was "pushed around like a rag doll". Better still, do you have videos?

No he's not

Gillies 192cm 93kg 21 years and has the potential to increase his weight

Gilham 192cm 86kg 26 years has always been around that weight

Milburn 189cm 91kg 34 years has well and truly reached his maximum physical development

Gillies " Excellent in one on one situations. A strong defender"

Source,AFL Record Season Guide 2011

Give me the time, place and opponent when he was "pushed around like a rag doll". Better still, do you have videos?
Ok firstly, Gillies is 192cm and 88kg source GFC website. Secondly go on the cats board and click on the gillies thread or it may have been the trade thread. They say numerous amounts of times that Gillies is more of a BP/HBF player, they see him as a running defender not a KPD.

And I cannot provide you with time/place/opponent and to ask for one is ridiculous. I don't keep a record of VFL game's regarding matchup's and player reports in a file cabinet, but I will say that I have watched him a few time's this year and he is not a so called "gorilla" defender. I will also add by all reports he had an ordinary season in the VFL.

Ah, the "Gorilla Defender". Brings up images of some hairy, knuckle dragging, slow witted, slow moving clod. If only it was so simple to categorize players as such.

No team needs a "gorilla defender". What all teams strive for is someone big and strong enough to match up against big marking forwards.

I respect your opinion seeing that it is based on watching him play at Geelong. From what I have seen of him, he is nothing like Gilham. As for stats, you have yours I have mine.

We are obviously going to disagree on this, therefor one of us is wrong. Time will tell.

Ah, the "Gorilla Defender". Brings up images of some hairy, knuckle dragging, slow witted, slow moving clod. If only it was so simple to categorize players as such.

No team needs a "gorilla defender". What all teams strive for is someone big and strong enough to match up against big marking forwards.

I respect your opinion seeing that it is based on watching him play at Geelong. From what I have seen of him, he is nothing like Gilham. As for stats, you have yours I have mine.

We are obviously going to disagree on this, therefor one of us is wrong. Time will tell.
And I respect yours:thumbsu:in time he may very well turn into a very good KPD, but for now I purely see him as a HBF. People will agree or disagree but all in all it doesn't relate to us anymore because he is not a hawthorn player.

And besides's we got Bowie instead:D

#22 vacant
#34 vacant
#36 vacant
#43 vacant

I would give Boumann no.36 Gunston no.22 Assuming Morton gets delisted I'd give Breust 47-19 and Johnson 50-34

For what we payed for Boumann we don't want to go and undo all that good work and give him #36, Johnson won't play a game hopefully so give Boumann 34...i would feel sorry for all the kids who went and got #47 on thier back and the club go and change his number, I want him to keep #47 but he'll probably end up with #4.

I think Clarkson still wants a strong bodied defender to match big forwards. Chasing Gillies indicates this, who, if allowed, could develop that strong body and hold his own against big forwards even though he may have a height disadvantage. I hope the cub can get him next year or a very similar type. They are very hard to come by and will be expensive.

I suggest you head down to the Geelong board, do a bit of a search on Gillies before trade week.

Before trade week, he was delisting material according to many Geelong supporters, during trade week and when we became interested he became a direct replacement to Scarlett and worth a first rounder. Go figure

Plenty of posts on the Geelong board stating he has no idea how to use his body in a one on one marking contests, was taken to the cleaners by one Ryan Gamble. Gamble FFS, A lot of their supporters were very disappointed in his VFL year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suggest you head down to the Geelong board, do a bit of a search on Gillies before trade week.

Before trade week and we were interested in him, he was delisting material according to many Geelong supporters, during trade week he was a direct replacement to Scarlett and worth a first rounder. Go figure

Plenty of posts on the Geelong board stating he has no idea how to use his body in a one on one marking contests, was taken to the cleaners by one Ryan Gamble. Gamble FFS, A lot of their supporters were very disappointed in his VFL year.
So I'm not the only one that knew;)

Yeah I agree those 'highlights' are pretty poor, I'm not even sure what the last clip was about . . .

Boumann probably gets the mobile tall, I don't know that he necessarily replaces anyone, except that Birchall doesn't have to play on a tall anymore hopefully.

Jack Darling, Justin Westhoff, Liam Jones, Tyrone Vickery, Adam Goodes, these are the type of forwards I think he would play on. Allows Schoenmakers and/or Gilham to play on the big key forwards, Gibson to 3rd man up, Stratton can play almost any role, Birchall to concentrate on rebounding, Guerra and/or Murphy will get the small forwards. I know that's more than six defenders, but they would be interchangeable.

Box Hill reports this year have been very favourable, looking through the Box Hill board the reviews of his defensive performances have been very good.

i.e.

Just seen him next to coach on hawthorn website and certainly looks imposing, more so than Lisle. Good move. Good to have franklin down one end and this guy the other. He is tall and has speed, that's what you need. Reading what others have said about him playing is encouraging too.

It is good to see the recruiters being active and going after what we need. Gunston is going to be good too as a third tall and as the coach said we had problems connecting between our middle/fwd line and hopefully is the addition we need to get to GF.

Be thankful you don't have to come home to it every night after work...

Before trade week, he was delisting material according to many Geelong supporters, during trade week and when we became interested he became a direct replacement to Scarlett and worth a first rounder. Go figure

Justifying opinions on players by what is posted on other boards is stupidity.

If you want to go down that track, go ahead I will not stop you.

As I said to Turley, one of us is wrong. I was being polite to him/her by saying only time will tell.

Your aggressiveness does not warrant politeness so I say to you,
If I agree with you then we would both be wrong.

I prefer to put my faith in the club instead of Geelong posters as to Gillies abilities.

Do those that have seen a lot of Boumann think he can immediately step mup to AFL?

He obviously has the height and reach to be a key defender, but what's he like man-on-man?

Does he have good pace off the mark?

Does he read the ball off the boot well?

Does he go to spoil the ball in the air like Gibbo or try to mark it like Stratts?

Justifying opinions on players by what is posted on other boards is stupidity.

If you want to go down that track, go ahead I will not stop you.

As I said to Turley, one of us is wrong. I was being polite to him/her by saying only time will tell.

Your aggressiveness does not warrant politeness so I say to you,
If I agree with you then we would both be wrong.

I prefer to put my faith in the club instead of Geelong posters as to Gillies abilities.

So what you're saying is that these seasoned Geelong supporters that have watched there VFL team play throughout the year have got it completely wrong, so he wasn't getting out bodied or taken to the cleaners by Ryan Gamble one on one,........Oh I see because Hawthorn was interested in him then those things didn't happen. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jarrad Boumann TO Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back