Free Agency Jarrad Waite signs with North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Except North are getting these free agents at no cost and still keeping their picks which can be used on kids.

FA isn't free.
If you want to get a player to move in FA, you have to give them overs in their contract.
Higgins is in the $400 to $450 k region.
Ok player but worth that much?
If you have too many FA's it creates cap pressure.
I like North's aggressiveness but their list demographic is a concern.
Wells will be 30 by the start of next year.
Harvey 36.
Dal Santo 32.
Drew Petrie 32.
Waite 32.
The biggest concern for North is their key defender issue.
Firrito turns 31 next month. 2015 will be his last season.
Grima turns 30 during the season and is probably a year by year proposition.
Thompson is 28.
Who is next after this? Tippett?

Last edited:
Higgins and Sylvia secured the Dogs and Demons a second round pick. They haven't had breakout seasons.

If Malceski walks, they don't deserve a third round for an unrestricted free agent and veteran because it considers his history. Flawed system if this happens.

Free agency compensation doesn't consider players' histories, just their age and their new contract.

FA isn't free.
If you want to get a player to move in FA, you have to give them overs in their contract.
Harvey 36.
Dal Santo 32.
Drew Petrie 32.
Waite 32.
Thompson is 28.

You could take any list in the league and go "player X is 32, player y is 31, player z is 30....concerning". That's just cherry-picking stats to suit your argument. My post on the previous page illustrates that out list demographic is actually pretty damn good. The top three in our B&F are 23, 26 and 25.

As for key defenders, they are usually the more experienced players on any list. In 12 months Tippett could easily be entrenched in our back six and Delaney could have an injury free run. Thompson has at least 2-3 years left and you conveniently left out Hansen who is also only 26.

If you have room in your salary cap, picking up free agents is really just replacing the bottom 2-3 players on your list without giving up picks. If younger players are good enough they'll play, and if Waite/Higgins aren't performing better than others in their position they won't.

Thompson is 28.

Thompson (28) and Hansen (26) are our two best defenders. They are both big and they have at least 3-4 years together, so it is not dire.

I think we will look at Tarrant as a backman as well (if he gets fit)

Tippett, Wright and MacMillan are all looking good and will compete for Grima and Spud's spots next year.

Backline is in ok shape.

we could have dumped or traded him years ago if we thought he wasn't performing but we didn't. it's fascinating because no-one can be sure which waite will turn up, i'm quite keen to see how he goes in another environment. just because he's been on our list for a while and not performed as well as we might have liked, doesn't mean he'll do the same somewhere else, injuries, suspension, anything. or will he do it all again?
could be very handy... kicking 35-40 for the year (including some missed games) is probably doing a solid job.

As i mentioned in the 'North signing Higgins' thread, Waite, Brown and Petrie could definitely monster some defences next year.

All of them are quite mobile, Brown is 200cm, Petrie is about 197cm and Waite is about 195cm...no one has 3 defenders of that size.
Teams with under sized key defenders of around 193cm especially will find it tough.

In theory, I thought this would be the case...but in reality not so.

Take Sydney for example: they arguably have the powerful tall forward line in the league with Goods, Buddy, Tippett and Reed. Yet it was all for naught come the last day in September...

I don't disagree that Brown, Petrie and Waite will be difficult to cover for some backlines,
but the midfield is where the game is won and lost these days...

Can someone tell me Levi Greenwoods attributes? I know he is a midfielder. I have never really taken a lot of notice of him, and now there is a chance he could come to Pies would like to know bit more

Can someone tell me Levi Greenwoods attributes? I know he is a midfielder. I have never really taken a lot of notice of him, and now there is a chance he could come to Pies would like to know bit more
Best comparison I can come with on the pies list would be Luke Ball. Contested ball beast, runs all day but not overly quick. Not the most damaging with the pill but knows his limitations and gets it done. If he goes forward will kick a couple of goals a game.
Heart and soul player at North. Won the supporters player of the year and players player of the year.

Would be a great get, but I don't think his going anywhere.

Last edited:
Think Brad Sewell (in his prime). Great inside player with solid skills and can kick a goal. Ball also a reasonable comparison.
And lol at all the posters in this thread writing us off. We are taking a punt at waite and higgins for virtually nothing whilst we hold our draft picks and continue to develop young players.
The current squad is a very good blend of experience and youth. Atley can develop into a Wells type when hes gone. Brown could take over from Petrie in a couple of years when hes gone. Could easily see Dal going for another 3 or 4 years long as he stays fit. Harvey granted is a loss. But so was Crawford to the hawks back in 2008. And whoever else sydney lost prior to their most recent flag.
Grima barely gets on the park and is not a big loss. Why the hell is firrito even being mentioned he is borderline best 22 at best. Clutching at straws much :rolleyes:

Last edited:
FA isn't free.
Harvey 36.
Dal Santo 32.
Drew Petrie 32.
Waite 32.
Thompson is 28.
For those of us who know the list are actually least concerned about our back line. Delaney and Tippet are big defenders which should be over injuries for next year. Hansen and Thompson will have the luxury of playing 3rd and 4th up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could take any list in the league and go "player X is 32, player y is 31, player z is 30....concerning". That's just cherry-picking stats to suit your argument. My post on the previous page illustrates that out list demographic is actually pretty damn good. The top three in our B&F are 23, 26 and 25.

As for key defenders, they are usually the more experienced players on any list. In 12 months Tippett could easily be entrenched in our back six and Delaney could have an injury free run. Thompson has at least 2-3 years left and you conveniently left out Hansen who is also only 26.

If you have room in your salary cap, picking up free agents is really just replacing the bottom 2-3 players on your list without giving up picks. If younger players are good enough they'll play, and if Waite/Higgins aren't performing better than others in their position they won't.

No you couldn't. West Coast has one player aged over 30 and he's right on 30 and the reigning brownlow medalist

Swans were grand finalists and got second round pick for Malceski. Played maybe 10 games for the Suns

Waite is a super player - just discipline issues and has another two years in him easily and we get nothing absolutely zero after finishing 13th.

We got ripped off.

Yesterday was validation for us bringing him to the club.

BOG in a close final.
Was great yesterday but you guys made the prelims last year, but he was brought to help take you to the next level not just win elimination finals

Yesterday was validation for us bringing him to the club.

BOG in a close final.

He was brought in (along with Higgins) to take you past the prelim.

If we know anything about Waite it is that he will choke it up big time against the Swans next week.

Next week is the key. Have North successfully taken the Carlton out of Waite, it is the story of the game for me.

He was brought in (along with Higgins) to take you past the prelim.

If we know anything about Waite it is that he will choke it up big time against the Swans next week.

Next week is the key. Have North successfully taken the Carlton out of Waite, it is the story of the game for me.
He just won a final. That is easily enough to justify getting him.

Are you saying Goddard and Chappy were flops at essendon and you brought the wrong players in??

Has pretty much replicated what he did at Carlton for years. Similar goal average. A touch down on contested marking. Good in finals.

However, it was games played that made this a fortunate move for North. The most games he has played since 2008 and next week will be even with the most he played with Carlton in 11 seasons.

If he played 14-16 games as he had been, it would be a different conversation.

At the time I thought it was a stupid move by North because he was 33.

But the fact is, he was the difference in a big final. Sometimes I think the whole AFL world is far too ageist and can't see the value of adding a good player for 1-2 years. Like Brad Scott says: "It's not what a player can't do, it's what a player CAN do".

Waite can win finals.

Good decision by North in hindsight, cost them a little salary in exchange for a big finals win (which benefits the whole club).

Sometimes I think the whole AFL world is far too ageist and can't see the value of adding a good player for 1-2 years.

Good decision by North in hindsight, cost them a little salary in exchange for a big finals win (which benefits the whole club).

And as far as ageists go, Harvey at 37 played OK too in a final.

This is the argument for FA.

Dal Santo was not required at the rebuilding Saints and moved on for a team that got compo to a team that had a short team immediate need. Lake similar (trade).

Only issue with Waite is the Blues got donuts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Jarrad Waite signs with North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back