Free Agency Jarrad Waite signs with North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Waite was seen as a luxary rather than a need. He was a top up player for North who wanted to have a crack at the flag in the next two years based on their prelim in 2014. Waite's played good footy this year, but I reckon we need to see if North can win the flag before really judging the move. If they can't pinch one, then maybe they would have been better off developing someone younger, rather than bringing in an older KPF. The other side of the coin is that Waite has helped progress their finals campaign, and you could argue they might not have beaten Richmond or Sydney without him.

IMO Waite was seen as a luxary rather than a need. He was a top up player for North who wanted to have a crack at the flag in the next two years based on their prelim in 2014. Waite's played good footy this year, but I reckon we need to see if North can win the flag before really judging the move. If they can't pinch one, then maybe they would have been better off developing someone younger, rather than bringing in an older KPF. The other side of the coin is that Waite has helped progress their finals campaign, and you could argue they might not have beaten Richmond or Sydney without him.
Even if they don't win a flag, he's proving to be a good stop gap. Aaron Black has been going backwards but has til the end of 2017 to take back his spot and their 3 KPP from the most recent draft all suffered season ending injuries. If they hadn't recruited him they'd be playing an undeserving Black or Daw in his spot.

His also 12 year older now is he not

8 and a half years older.

However in 6 seasons Griffiths has 28 goals in 48 games.

After 6 seasons Waite had 107 goals in 106 games and the 6th season he made the Victorian side because he was playing in defence.

Waite is the perfect 3rd tall IMO.

Waite is a super player - just wish this stage of his career we had a better list so he could have seen his days out at the club. Loved him in his first year being coached by Ross Lyon - was super impressive. Was like this young gazelle with a wicked side step

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair they are developing brown too.

Yeh must have been. Don't remember Ross being at the Blues but could be wrong
Ross Lyon coached our 2nds for a number of years. It was his first coaching gig. he managed to get us into the finals with some really ordinary personnel. I was quite disappointed when he went off to Sydney.
I am pretty sure that Ross was the coach when Waite started. He played every game in the 2nds: the only player not to play seniors while on the senior list that year.

Also Waite spent his first few seasons playing on the wing. He only moved to a permanent forward role when Fevola was suspended.

Ross Lyon coached our 2nds for a number of years. It was his first coaching gig. he managed to get us into the finals with some really ordinary personnel. I was quite disappointed when he went off to Sydney.
I am pretty sure that Ross was the coach when Waite started. He played every game in the 2nds: the only player not to play seniors while on the senior list that year.

Lyon started as an assistant under Walls at Richmond, then was an assistant and VFL coach at Carlton from 2000 for 5 years. Definitely Waite's first coach there as Waite spent a season in the reserves before he debuted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Jarrad Waite signs with North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back