News Jarrod Pickett nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

not me, GV - nothing more than school and low-level old boys in a thuggish league called - wait for it - the eastern suburban churches league - I shit you not - mostly a skill-free, flakey sheepdog wing/forward - Numbers is the one with the cred - cheers for the thoughts re: leg - no pain, all good!

not me, GV - nothing more than school and low-level old boys in a thuggish league called - wait for it - the eastern suburban churches league - I shit you not - mostly a skill-free, flakey sheepdog wing/forward - Numbers is the one with the cred - cheers for the thoughts re: leg - no pain, all good!

The legend of Thy lives on at Friar park

It was not surprising that the criticism on this thread of Pickett not being at training on day 1, which you rightly mock, was made without any knowledge, understanding or interest in the vast range of possible legitimate reasons for his absence, a funeral definitely being one. Peoples going off in the absence of evidence is a common-place.

What I did find surprising was that the criticism was made of a footballer WHO ACTUALLY WANTS to play for us. On his welcome thread. He openly indicated he wished to come to Carlton. In making that decision he showed wisdom and intelligence (two separate concepts) beyond his years. Whilst Marchbank is ticking every box already in justifying the trade I reckon in years to come he might just become the steak knives to Pickett in the deal, who has huge as yet untapped potential.
Love this post.

The tut tutting about Pickett not being at training was as off the mark as the nonsense about the doggies celebrating each finals win too much.

Just wait til some of the GWS boys have a friendly chat and maybe even smile with their ex team mates after the Giants flog us this year. Pitchforks and torches and nooses out.

Cheers, Thy. That's great news re: leg :thumbsu:

RE: playing - Thanks for sharing. Wing/forward huh? Would have had some decent stamina and speed, then :)

Ahhhhh, yeah, I remember you mentioning some time ago that Numb3rs played in the Magoos, from memory.

Couple of years down the Junction Oval U/19s.

Got sounded out because I could kick a footy (Sunkick) and that year was in Collingwoods rural zone, so there was a sort of bidding war, why, is utterly beyond me.

Anyhoo, trotted off to the JO, 194cm, 72ks ringing wet, reckon it was October '83, to train with the all conquering U/19s of that year, me and 3 other blokes...one was Tony Spassopolous, a team mate from Koonung.

Anyhoo Wallsy gives the great speech about how only 2 of us will make the grade, I'm looking at Spazz thinking this is alright, and between us played one senior game.

The other 2 were Rossy Lyon and John Blakey.......986 games between them.

Long story short, there was no money in it, was paid, by cheque, which took a week to clear, sometimes it didn't, and earned more money as a 3rd year apprentice at the old HWT on Flinders St, than the senior players.

Oh yeah, had a ridiculous romance with the white stuff, but that's enough for tonight.

Delete in 10, 9.....
saved for posterity - and satty morning.........

Couple of years down the Junction Oval U/19s.

Got sounded out because I could kick a footy (Sunkick) and that year was in Collingwoods rural zone, so there was a sort of bidding war, why, is utterly beyond me.

Anyhoo, trotted off to the JO, 194cm, 72ks ringing wet, reckon it was October '83, to train with the all conquering U/19s of that year, me and 3 other blokes...one was Tony Spassopolous, a team mate from Koonung.

Anyhoo Wallsy gives the great speech about how only 2 of us will make the grade, I'm looking at Spazz thinking this is alright, and between us played one senior game.

The other 2 were Rossy Lyon and John Blakey.......986 games between them.

Long story short, there was no money in it, was paid, by cheque, which took a week to clear, sometimes it didn't, and earned more money as a 3rd year apprentice at the old HWT on Flinders St, than the senior players.

Oh yeah, had a ridiculous romance with the white stuff, but that's enough for tonight.

Delete in 10, 9.....

Fun stuff. I love these old stories of when the under 19's still existed and what it was like at least being connected to the big league at the time. I think a guy I played football with played for Fitzroy under 19s. Remember he used to get about 50 kicks a game in our team. But he was too much of a clown to take higher grade football seriously so ended up coming back to our local club to play. He just enjoyed having fun more than actually being good at football. I still never worked out why he was at Fitzroy as our club was in Carlton zone. Remember Rohan Burke coming to take training one night.

Fun times when there were zones. My older brother barracked for Melbourne but we lived in Carlton zone. He had to goto training to Princes Park a number of times for under 17's or under 19's. Would have been weird to seeing him playing for the club I barracked for but he not. I remember the bugger kicking ball on left foot in our big backyard and kicking a lot longer than I could on my right. Bloody smartarse. Killed him at cricket though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Consider me the capo-di-tutti-capi (the bastard of bastards), then :p

Reminds me of a time I was replying to something about the tv show Curb Your Enthusiasm. Turned out after about 5 or 6 posts I realized I was deep in enemy territory of some bowels of Essendon board on forum. Sometimes due to way I read forum I sometimes have little idea what group a thread resides in until later. Funny how the Essendon hoard did not hang me and feed me to the sharks.

Ehmm , sorry to interupt, but I thought this was about a player - you may not heard of him though, Jarrod Pickett. Anyone? No?

Mods =

original

Fun stuff. I love these old stories of when the under 19's still existed and what it was like at least being connected to the big league at the time. I think a guy I played football with played for Fitzroy under 19s. Remember he used to get about 50 kicks a game in our team. But he was too much of a clown to take higher grade football seriously so ended up coming back to our local club to play. He just enjoyed having fun more than actually being good at football. I still never worked out why he was at Fitzroy as our club was in Carlton zone. Remember Rohan Burke coming to take training one night.

Fun times when there were zones. My older brother barracked for Melbourne but we lived in Carlton zone. He had to goto training to Princes Park a number of times for under 17's or under 19's. Would have been weird to seeing him playing for the club I barracked for but he not. I remember the bugger kicking ball on left foot in our big backyard and kicking a lot longer than I could on my right. Bloody smartarse. Killed him at cricket though.

I played with a lot of under 19's when I was younger. All of them girls I may add.

Ha. Me too. :)

South Ringwood (Formerly Ringwood Uniting Church Football Club).
Thuggish league fits the bill well and back in the day, our club fitted the term beautifully.
Good times and good memories.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Jarrod Pickett nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back