Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Are GWS looking to use picks 3, 12, 15, 18 and 19 purely for the draft? Or do they want to get some players in via trade?

Maybe we could upgrade pick 33 or 43 for one those later picks and offer up Byrne-Jones or Bonner?

We genuinely need to trade away a player for 2nd round. Can't see it happening another way.

Hayes, Drew, Bonner, DBJ, Farrell. DBJ with most value in that lot perhaps as an All-Australian and club BnF although he was off it best this year. I know he just resigned but yeah either him or Drew

In all seriousness North have actually done fine out of this deal. So have West Coast. GWS showed up, bent over and handed over the lube to make it work for everyone else, and I salute them for it.
Yeah I think north have done well. What more can you hope for to get for a player that wants out than a similar pick + a future 1st on top. That’s a good deal.

Also west coast, despite people knocking them to get out of pick 2 and the private school vic boys and into hewett territory , whose not far behind, if at all those vic boys plus get another pick. That’s good for them.

Ports given up a lot, but the fact we get future 2nds and 3rds back helps a lot,

In the end rozee butters jhf Bergman sinn to look forward too in our midfield.

I really rate that group of players as a future midfield. High end young talent there.

His output on 18 or so games was low yes.

The fact that he is rated the best junior ever to come out of the SANFL means that his ceiling is higher.

He was comfortably the best prospect in his draft year. North havent been able to develop him correctly, and thats on North, but his ceiling is clearly higher than Butters.

No one would offer two first rounders for Butters, yet thats the minimum North will get from Port for JHF
Nick Daicos says hi.

No need to do anything to please this request. Godfather deal or the answer is simply NO.

8, 2023 1st, Amon compo, Marshall should be North's starting point.
Marshall's already gone through the pain of losing both his parents. Why would anyone wish him further pain by sending him to North?
Happy to back the club in to sort itself and turn him around over the next 12 months.

Worst case he still wants to go and Port can fight it out with the Crows in 2023. No doubt in my mind this still nets 2 1st round picks.
We'll be fighting over him, like we're fighting over Rankine now. Or how we fought over Dawson, where Port didn't even offer as much as Sydney did.

I'd be very wary taking this kid into my club.

Stinks of arrogance, entitlement and unprofessionalism.

North should count their lucky stars and try to take Port for everything they can.
It’s not all that hard to put yourself in his shoes though. How many adults would move interstate for a job and then stay there when literally nothing about that job is what they were told it would be, and the people who told it to you are gone?

And then put the weight of that on an eighteen year old kid with the expectations of an entire club on his shoulders and half the media directing the spotlight at him this whole time, scrutinising his every move.

He seems immature, but beyond that I can’t really blame him for not coping well with it, it’s kind of a lot.

Also sucks for North and the people who are running the place now, given most of the mess isn’t of their own making.

He was too much for a FIGJAM to not want to go at pick 1, that was part of the problem (For North)
He could’ve gone pick 1 to Adelaide if he’d said the words, they could’ve traded that pick. But I don’t think it was really much of a consideration at the time. Seems if it’s going to be an SA club it has to be Port.

He could’ve gone pick 1 to Adelaide if he’d said the words, they could’ve traded that pick. But I don’t think it was really much of a consideration at the time. Seems if it’s going to be an SA club it has to be Port.

True. I feel bad for North in all of this, they probably should have the Crows offer last year in hindsight, but it's easy to say now.

I will admit the kid suffered some really poor media backlash in his first (and probably only) season at North, have to wonder if that was a factor in his decision to return home to SA too ?

Stings more for North, cause their club's PR department (probably unwisely) kept pumping up his tyres after he was drafted as some type of Messiah figure (they were selling signed autographed jumpers of him for something like $500 dollars before he even played a game !l

Might be a warning in future for clubs who draft a highly rated junior with a top draft pick.

Don't try market them or pump up their tyres too early. Just let them enjoy finding their feet in the game, especially in their first season.

WGAF?

Clarkson might be back by the end of the pre - season, and JHF might be playing to his potential, and who knows he stays at Nth and plays 300 games

Absolutely no need to trade him this year unless its way way overs.
There’s every reason to let him go, he clearly isn’t happy and isn’t adding anything to the team, chances are it’ll be a similar story next season, what happens then? Reckon they’d get laughed out of the room if they even mentioned 2 first rounders.

North don’t have time to **** around with kids who don’t wanna be there, the should accept the deal this year, turn pick 1 into as many first rounders they can get and hit the draft hard IMO, they could end up with 6 or so picks in the top 20.

What JHF should have said is that non-SA clubs shouldn’t draft him, like Archie Perkins did,

Is there any insinuation that he was unhappy until about halfway through the season? I'd probably be pretty pissed at a player that wanted to leave in their first year to, but he was thrown in the absolute deep end. Arguably worse than any player previously. I'd argue it's why pick 1 has a terrible record. Guys like Jack Watts didn't stand a chance.

Wooden spooners don't always suck the next year. Some are at least competitive. North went 2-20 with a percentage of 55. Look at their actual results this year. They were competitive for the first 4 weeks and then were beaten by a minimum of 50 points almost every game for the rest of the year. That is something that doesn't happen to every pick 1. On top of that now throw in some of the on field incidents where he was one of the few guys trying in games and the only 1 flying the flag when someone said 'your club is shit'. Then you throw in the fact he was dropped several times this year. Then you throw in the fact former North players are getting stuck into you for having the audacity to look pissed off about losing. Then they sack their coach, because he was too mean to the players (could go either way that JHF was angry with Noble's behavior or he thought the rest of the players were pussies) making it 4 coaches in 3 years. Then the guy who was going to turn it around is embroiled in a racism scandal. That's not North's fault, and it's only an allegation, but one that has the support of a former coach at Hawthorn. Then imagine your step father, who you respected enough to hyphenate your surname is also indigenous.

A bit happened between Late 2021 and now.

There’s every reason to let him go, he clearly isn’t happy and isn’t adding anything to the team, chances are it’ll be a similar story next season, what happens then? Reckon they’d get laughed out of the room if they even mentioned 2 first rounders.

North don’t have time to **** around with kids who don’t wanna be there, the should accept the deal this year, turn pick 1 into as many first rounders they can get and hit the draft hard IMO, they could end up with 6 or so picks in the top 20.

A lack of available senior list spots does not make. 6 picks inside 20 overly attractive.

12 months to turn him around and picks next year when we can use them may well be worth getting a little less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he didn't. He was a Freo supporter. Fabian was going to be delisted at Port but they did a deal with Freo for him to move there as a DFA I think (if I get some of this wrong feel free to correct me) But it was last player on the list situation and Freo either didn't have salary space or they decided on another player and it fell through - can't remember but Fabian ended up as Freo's runner and played a couple games for South Fremantle and then retired after doing his knee in the WAFL.

If I remember correctly. Port weren’t willing to pay him what he wanted, and he had a deal lined up to go to Freo in the pre season draft. Then something happened and Freo realized/got told by the AFL they didn’t have as much cap space as they thought so they couldn’t take him (rather amateurish). They may have offered him a role off field with the promise to get picked the following year but then it never happened.

The fact JHF is requesting a trade means Port is willing to pay up a fair bit. Overall it’s probably positive for them. They rid themselves of an unprofessional and overhyped twat that doesn’t want to be there anyways whilst likely ending up with 4 top ten picks over the next two years to give them a solid base to rebuild from.

True. I feel bad for North in all of this, they probably should have the Crows offer last year in hindsight, but it's easy to say now.

I will admit the kid suffered some really poor media backlash in his first (and probably only) season at North, have to wonder if that was a factor in his decision to return home to SA too ?

Stings more for North, cause their club's PR department (probably unwisely) kept pumping up his tyres after he was drafted as some type of Messiah figure (they were selling signed autographed jumpers of him for something like $500 dollars before he even played a game !l

Might be a warning in future for clubs who draft a highly rated junior with a top draft pick.

Don't try market them or pump up their tyres too early. Just let them enjoy finding their feet in the game, especially in their first season.

Was just bizarre. Looked really poor from King who is a known ****wit. Not really sure how he thought bullying a kid was going to help.

If I remember correctly. Port weren’t willing to pay him what he wanted, and he had a deal lined up to go to Freo in the pre season draft. Then something happened and Freo realized/got told by the AFL they didn’t have as much cap space as they thought so they couldn’t take him (rather amateurish). They may have offered him a role off field with the promise to get picked the following year but then it never happened.

Freo exceeded total player payments in 2001 and lost their PSD pick so couldn't select him.

Not sure what a fair trade for this guy is. If North want more than Port's first round pick this year and next I'd be holding off if I was Port.

Yeah, I guess when Tom Boyd did it, it wasn’t a problem for most….
I wonder why?

Again, you had blokes like Leigh Matthews in the media saying they hoped Boyd didn’t work out. He was lambasted for cutting and running after one year just as much as for his contract.

You can’t just ignore facts to suit your victim mentality

I'd like to see North make JHF honour his contract. If he sooks it up, he can sit in the reserves or at home Ben Simmons style. His value will plumet which will hurt North but it sends a message that they aren't gonna get dicked around. I thought the same when Daniher wanted to leave before his contract expired.

The balance of power is so one sided right now in favour of the players. Clubs can't trade players without their consent but players can leave mid contract with the threat that their value will be less when they are OOC in a years time.

Where has that behavior got you? When someone is making a fair offer you don't turn it down 'to make a stand'. North wouldn't even pick up the phone if we don't have 8+F1 on the table. That will be on the table at 9am tomorrow. We'll argue about it for 2 weeks and something else will come with those 2 firsts, it's just a question of what. Uncontracted he isn't even worth 2x1sts, so if they can get more than that, they will view it as a win. If they don't want to trade him under any circumstances because of culture/ sending a message, they will say no and this will all be over by lunchtime tomorrow.

3.2m over four years for a 19yo, JHF must be a very good player.

If Port think he is worth that much, then two first rounders (no futures) should be the minimum we ask for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back