Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Woops I didn't get the notification for this- how can you equate the two?
He isn't being outspoken in advocating for Hawthorn, he's being outspoken in his political ideology and it trying to do the dirty work the the state LNP.

He is calling out the dodgy boys network at the AFL. How is that anything to do with the LNP?

Unless youre suggesting the AFL is inbed with the Labor Party in which case he absolutely should be calling out dodgy deals.

Youre ok with multibillion dollar organisations and political parties being in bed together ?

He is calling out the dodgy boys network at the AFL. How is that anything to do with the LNP?

Unless youre suggesting the AFL is inbed with the Labor Party in which case he absolutely should be calling out dodgy deals.

Youre ok with multibillion dollar organisations and political parties being in bed together ?
Long bow there HairyO. Don't think anyone's suggesting that at all.

Ultimately though, Jeff is the defactor opposition leader here in Victoria these days. No one cares what he says about footy but he's on tv and radio every second day ranting about the ALP. His TV appearances, he usually has Hawks gear littered in the background. At the Boys Club launch, he compared the AFL to the state ALP. He's detoured in radio appearances talking about Victorian politics and started talking about the hawks. And vice versa.

This is all where people have an issue with the twisting of these two roles.

I’m hoping the Kennett strategy of the unending criticism of the State Government has some tangible outcome for the club he’s President of.
I’d be interested in what he’d extract from the Coalition if they salute at the 2022 election.
A fully funded Dingley and 11 home games at the MCG would be a good start.

I’m hoping the Kennett strategy of the unending criticism of the State Government has some tangible outcome for the club he’s President of.
I’d be interested in what he’d extract from the Coalition if they salute at the 2022 election.
A fully funded Dingley and 11 home games at the MCG would be a good start.

Or we could try and snooze up to the acting premier (and presumptive premier) who is a high profile patron of the Hawthorn Football Club?

The opposition leader, who is an absolute Humphrey B Bear, is a Carlton supporter.

As for lobbying - not sure Kennett was all that successful extracting money out of the previous liberal government (even when the premier was the member for Hawthorn).

Kennett is seemingly more interested in fixing the AFL than representing the interests of the club.

I've never seen a group of people more eager to roll over. Kennett isn't wrong. It's a joke that we're playing Essendon in Tasmania. A further joke that there are no crowds. The eagerness of the crowd here to grovel for money is embarrassing. Or it should be but I suspect you all think being a lickspittle is a virtue.

I've never seen a group of people more eager to roll over. Kennett isn't wrong. It's a joke that we're playing Essendon in Tasmania. A further joke that there are no crowds. The eagerness of the crowd here to grovel for money is embarrassing. Or it should be but I suspect you all think being a lickspittle is a virtue.
Why is it a joke. Please enlighten me

So you endorse the Vic govts Covid management?
Or its just Jeff isn't allowed to have a view?
Is he in politics? Is he in the opposition?

Who is he representing here? How many other club presidents are barreling the government like this?

How many times does it need to be said, no-one gives a **** whether his view is right or wrong? Many people would agree this government is getting a lot wrong on this, the latest lockdown in particular.

But he has a duty to Hawthorn, while going cap in hand to the government. There are no Liberal supporters begging him to speak on their behalf, the only entity he represents is Hawthorn...

If he want to be such a strident critic of the government, quit hawthorn, and get back into politics...or speak only as a private individual.

As president of Hawthorn, I'm happy for him to speak as loudly as he wants against the power of the AFL, in Hawthorn's interests. This is not that.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you endorse the Vic govts Covid management?
Or its just Jeff isn't allowed to have a view?
I think it's a matter of whose opinion has the science behind it. I'm one of the few people who admit they voted for Jeff, but he's on the wrong side of this issue

On ballance, I'd back the government. I think the opposition would do the same if they were in charge.

Is he in politics? Is he in the opposition?

Who is he representing here? How many other club presidents are barreling the government like this?

How many times does it need to be said, no-one gives a fu** whether his view is right or wrong? Many people would agree this government is getting a lot wrong on this, the latest lockdown in particular.

But he has a duty to Hawthorn, while going cap in hand to the government. There are no Liberal supporters begging him to speak on their behalf, the only entity he represents is Hawthorn...

If he want to be such a strident critic of the government, quit hawthorn, and get back into politics...or speak only as a private individual.

As president of Hawthorn, I'm happy for him to speak as loudly as he wants against the power of the AFL, in Hawthorn's interests. This is not that.

Isnt he asking why no crowds at the AFL in Vic?
Or its the criticism levelled at the state govt you have problem with? The first line?

Isnt he asking why no crowds at the AFL in Vic?
Or its the criticism levelled at the state govt you have problem with? The first line?
That's not an AFL decision, it's a government decision.

The only person authorised to speak about the decision to not have crowds is Gil, on behalf of the league...and he's not dumping on them, he has to deal with them...why is Jeff?

That's not an AFL decision, it's a government decision.

The only person authorised to speak about the decision to not have crowds is Gil...and he's not dumping on them, he has to deal with them...why is Jeff?

Authorised? You cannot be serious?

Why cant he have a view on crowds at games in Vic, especially at games involving the HFC?

Why cant he have a view on crowds at games in Vic, especially at games involving the HFC?
he can have whatever ****ing view he wants!!!

Why does he need to tweet it? can't he communicate it direct to Spring St? Or via Gil? If he thinks his words can be constructive in this decision making process, do it!

What is being gained BY HAWTHORN by a twitter war? You answer me that, and I'll be quiet.

Last edited:

Because it’s clearly a political point scoring exercise, as is every single comment he makes about the state government.

he can have whatever ******* view he want!!!

Why does he need to tweet it? can't he communicate it direct to Spring St? Or via Gil?

What is being gained BY HAWTHORN in this? You answer me that, and I'll be quiet.

I wouldn't know. I guess he does both.

I wouldn't know. I guess he does both.
To be honest, I doubt what Kennett says makes a difference to any government funding to Hawthorn. I would hope not, the government will benefit, Pakula's seat, etc etc

But Jeff is on record as saying he believes his outspoken attitude has cost Hawthorn funding in the last budget. He believes that his anti-government stance costs Hawthorn..and yet is happy to maintain that, before any figure has been settled!

That is the part I am really livid about. He genuinely believes his war with the government is costing Hawthorn money...but that's a price he considers worth paying.

It's an indication that he prioritises his right to express his political views well above the financial future of our club...

To be honest, I doubt what Kennett says makes a difference to any government funding to Hawthorn. I would hope not, the government will benefit, Pakula's seat, etc etc

But Jeff is on record as saying he believes his outspoken attitude has cost Hawthorn funding in the last budget. He believes that his anti-government stance costs Hawthorn..and yet is happy to maintain that, before any figure has been settled!

That is the part I am really livid about. He genuinely believes his war with the government is costing Hawthorn money...but that's a price he considers worth paying.

It's an indication that he prioritises his right to express his political views well above the financial future of our club...

I understand that.

The grants applications was put in some months before he criticised the state govt. Not after.
It is also decided by others in govt well removed from the Covid mgmt which he was critical of.
So while he said it, I think he said it to put pressure on the state govt.

And we will end up the money. There is no doubt about that.

So I think we was just playing politics and being Jeff.

But I could be wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back