Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

The club is now reaping what they failed to sow during the three peat years: the fan engagement is really poor compared to other clubs in the league and in other codes.

Considering the club has such a strong history, it feels very generic these days and there’s little to make you feel the club is part of your identity. It’s things like that that make the difference betweeen someone staying at home on a cold Saturday night and venturing out to the game itself.

The club is now reaping what they failed to sow during the three peat years: the fan engagement is really poor compared to other clubs in the league and in other codes.

Considering the club has such a strong history, it feels very generic these days and there’s little to make you feel the club is part of your identity. It’s things like that that make the difference betweeen someone staying at home on a cold Saturday night and venturing out to the game itself.

Genuinely curious as to what kind of engagement you think the club should be doing? Not a criticism - I am just wondering what other clubs are doing?

My NRL side is probably one of the worst clubs in the country for almost everything to do with on field and off field performance - but when they play in Melbourne I turn up no matter what because like a child that has repeatedly gone to prison - even though they keep letting you down you can't help but love and support them.

Genuinely curious as to what kind of engagement you think the club should be doing? Not a criticism - I am just wondering what other clubs are doing?

My NRL side is probably one of the worst clubs in the country for almost everything to do with on field and off field performance - but when they play in Melbourne I turn up no matter what because like a child that has repeatedly gone to prison - even though they keep letting you down you can't help but love and support them.

And maybe that’s the problem - in recent years, the results haven’t let supporters down so you don’t develop the backs against the wall mentality that draws fans in for other clubs.

In terms of what could they do better, I’m probably not the best person to ask because I’m turning up to games. But if you want people to see football as more than just entertainment that they can take or leave, you need to inspire loyalty.

This area has been endlessly researched in sports marketing, there are even quantitative scales that are used to measure how engaged and loyal fans are. Maybe hawthorn should use some of the pokies money to put a research team onto it and figure out how to move people on the scale.

I genuinely think supporters don't look forward to watching the brand of footy we have started to play, you can't understate how much that effects peoples minds when considering how they want to spend 4 hours of their day. It's no coincidence that those early season games against the Cats and Richmond and even Essendon produced quality crowds, we played attacking footy and goals flowed, what's happened since has been nothing but a snore fest and the crowds have dipped.

We have also been hijacked by some terrible conditions and circumstances, the Swans game was like a monsoon, the Eagles game was at shitihad and at 1pm (we still almost got 30k) and the Crows game had terribly cold weather with a host of other sporting events on.

The crowds will increase the more it looks like we are making finals and the brand of footy is enticing.

And maybe that’s the problem - in recent years, the results haven’t let supporters down so you don’t develop the backs against the wall mentality that draws fans in for other clubs.

In terms of what could they do better, I’m probably not the best person to ask because I’m turning up to games. But if you want people to see football as more than just entertainment that they can take or leave, you need to inspire loyalty.

This area has been endlessly researched in sports marketing, there are even quantitative scales that are used to measure how engaged and loyal fans are. Maybe hawthorn should use some of the pokies money to put a research team onto it and figure out how to move people on the scale.

I think they are doing this to some degree. I got asked to nominate as part of a members working group to discuss issues much like the ones you are addressing. I put my hand up but sadly wasn't contacted.

and that was two Vic clubs

average attendance for the round was 27k, second time this year it was only 27k maybe it wasn't just Hawks supporters who didn't go to the footy on the weekend
Maybe Jeff needs to elevate this to the AFL rather than take pot shots at us members (I'm Interstate and work away so was not there either), as it seems as if the trend in falling crowds is league wide not just isolated to Hawthorn.

I have to now begrudgingly agree that the product the AFL is currently allowing to be produced is getting to the point where it is boring and close to unwatchable. There are very few games throughout the year let alone every round which can be classified as entertaining contests.

Clear examples of this over the weekend were the Friday Night so called Block Buster which I turned off 5mins into the 3rd quarter and the 1st half of our own game which to be honest was terrible viewing and if it wasn't the Hawks playing would have turned off and watched the World Cup.

I think there needs to be an honest review of the League, the number of teams (talent pool is not big enough to support), the current tactics/rules and how they are being executed/interpreted by coaches/umpires.

The Game seriously needs fixing quickly before people start switching off as a lot of us are now so time poor, this includes a large number of families with young children which will put in jeopardy the next generation of supporters for all Teams.

I have to now begrudgingly agree that the product the AFL is currently allowing to be produced is getting to the point where it is boring and close to unwatchable. There are very few games throughout the year let alone every round which can be classified as entertaining contests.

This.

Although this weekend gone, a lot of people would have been settling in to watch the World Cup match too.

Still, i'll be rocking up to the Tassie game this week (With Daughter in tow!). We'll be lucky to get 10k against GC i reckon :(

I think there needs to be an honest review of the League, the number of teams (talent pool is not big enough to support), the current tactics/rules and how they are being executed/interpreted by coaches/umpires.

The Game seriously needs fixing quickly before people start switching off as a lot of us are now so time poor, this includes a large number of families with young children which will put in jeopardy the next generation of supporters for all Teams.

This is happening at the AFL as we speak. Whether they come up with the right outcomes is another issue entirely...

Footy is ugly, it's that simple. There isn't enough talent and theres to many teams, this saturated space and greediness falls on Demetriou and Fitzpatrick, they have created the shit we are seeing now and Gil has to do what he can to get a decent outcome out of a situation he inherited.

The game in isolation, the aesthetics of how it's played lies solely with the coaches, the need to be "ahead of of the curb" and have a cutting edge and progressive game style is killing the essence of what makes this game great. Clarko is a genius and will be forever loved by all of us but he is absolutely a key figure in how footy is being played, the change needs to happen now and it needs to be supported by guys like Clarko otherwise we will see our game continue to regress.

When you combine the World Cup, the Wallabies on next door and shit weather a crowd like this was bound to happen.

The World Cup is the biggest event on the sporting calendar, even people who don't like soccer watch it. The smart thing would've been to have the Socceroos score up on the scoreboard for people, or to show the game in the stadium bars.

Pointless thing to worry about as it's a freak occurrence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to love the Green Machine.:D

Maybe Jeff needs to elevate this to the AFL rather than take pot shots at us members (I'm Interstate and work away so was not there either)

He's clearly not talking about interstate members mate.

The World Cup is the biggest event on the sporting calendar, even people who don't like soccer watch it. The smart thing would've been to have the Socceroos score up on the scoreboard for people, or to show the game in the stadium bars.

They did.

Great analogy :thumbsu:

Footy is ugly, it's that simple. There isn't enough talent and theres to many teams, this saturated space and greediness falls on Demetriou and Fitzpatrick, they have created the shit we are seeing now and Gil has to do what he can to get a decent outcome out of a situation he inherited.

The game in isolation, the aesthetics of how it's played lies solely with the coaches, the need to be "ahead of of the curb" and have a cutting edge and progressive game style is killing the essence of what makes this game great. Clarko is a genius and will be forever loved by all of us but he is absolutely a key figure in how footy is being played, the change needs to happen now and it needs to be supported by guys like Clarko otherwise we will see our game continue to regress.
There is a teeny bit of truth to this. That first half the other night was vomitous

And the way the game is being umpired has a lot to do with it as well. How many passages of play in today’s game aren’t influenced by an umpiring decision. Tiggy touch rules annoy the hell out of me. If a player slightly touches his opponent it’s a free even if the contact doesn’t have any influence on the player affected. Ruck infringements.....it’s lucky dip. I rarely see how these decisions are made. Deliberate out of bounds....FFS, where do you start?? And more......

Got to love the Green Machine.:D

It’s a love that’s so rarely reciprocated - but I can’t stop loving the bastards. Granted, looked like a completely different side once Hodgson came on this weekend. Clinging to glimmers of hope as always.

And the way the game is being umpired has a lot to do with it as well. How many passages of play in today’s game aren’t influenced by an umpiring decision. Tiggy touch rules annoy the hell out of me. If a player slightly touches his opponent it’s a free even if the contact doesn’t have any influence on the player affected. Ruck infringements.....it’s lucky dip. I rarely see how these decisions are made. Deliberate out of bounds....FFS, where do you start?? And more......
I think if they scrap the current Ruck nomination, the deliberate OOB and fix up the umpires interpretation of holding the ball/incorrect disposal it will go a long way to speeding the game up and improving the spectacle.

I have been critical of Kennett on here (mainly around displaying Hawthorn values) but his speech at the GF reunion was very good i thought.

What the club could of done better is have a champion of the club play and celebrate his 350th game, or even wheeled out the 1978, 1988 and 2008 Premiership teams just for something special. Oh wait...........

Other game attendances aside, that is what annoyed me about the low crowd figure on Saturday night. Fair enough if you can't make it but surely you'd make an effort to show up for an occasion such as this? When is the next time your going to see a club champion play 350 games AND time it perfectly to be a home game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back