Game Day JLT2 - Carlton vs Collingwood - Monday 11th March 2.10PM @ Morwell - Final Team Post #777

Remove this Banner Ad

What's up with Murphy? Looks fit, but also looks like a shadow of his former self. Not sure we used the JLT to give more midfield minutes to the kids, but Murphy has been disappointing in both games now. Maybe a bit harsh, but we all know what he is capable of.

Jones and Cripps were terrific. Liked the games from McKay, Weitering, Fisher, SPS and Simpson. Especially SPS! Always had the skills, now he's got a solid fitness base and is growing in confidence.

Felt Collingwood could of won by 6-7 goals if they put the foot down. But a real credit to our boys for never giving up and playing till the final siren. This is the kind of attitude and culture I've been waiting to see for years now.

Collingwood played at a higher intensity, and we only ended up losing by 5 points - despite playing reasonably poorly for long patches.

McKay, Cunners, SPS were fantastic. Easily Garlett’s best game in defence, and he’s really building. Loved some of Setterfield and Dow’s cameos.

And our forwardline isn’t close to functioning.

Good signs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood played at a higher intensity, and we only ended up losing by 5 points - despite playing reasonably poorly for long patches.

McKay, Cunners, SPS were fantastic. Easily Garlett’s best game in defence, and he’s really building. Loved some of Setterfield and Dow’s cameos.

Good signs.

4 points ;)

Tell you one thing I did notice today.

With the 50 metre switches by foot out wide, wing has become a position again.
Your insight is always good numb3rs

The the rise and rise of Harry McKay ..

Think he is one of those young players Paul Roos was talking about that needed an extended stint in the VFL

Work rate, chasing etc has improved 100 % than at the same time last year (so it seems to me)

Another big tick for coach Bolton as far I'm concerned.

Walsh is a class above most Carlton players already. Glad he stated he would be a one Club player before the draft.

Jones and Weitering did well and I thought this was Garlett's best game back there - although looked more dangerous when he went forward.

SPS and Cuningham were very good again. Setterfield was struggling in the 4th - played well up to that point. I've decided I like Thomas - has earned my respect because he truly gives it his all on field.

Fisher /Charlie/McGovern would be disappointed with their performances.

Looking at Charlie/Dow - you need to kick those fellas.

Congratulations Walsh on taking responsibility for the shot.

Best thing about the game was clear evidence that the side has more 4 quarter run capability.

Gee how exciting is it to watch Setterfield running around in the CFC guernsey?? He's a special kind of player.
Exciting times ahead for the Bluebaggers!!

Didn’t get to see the game- Settter only had 13 possessions and 4 tackles.

What did I miss???

Good signs.

LD a serious question - how did we get within 4 points while playing poorly and having 110 less possessions?

Didn’t get to see the game- Settter only had 13 possessions and 4 tackles.

What did I miss???

He looked average. underdone, and most of his possessions were hurried kicks. Definitely looks like a conditioning thing after being out for 2 years.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, go all in on Grundy end of next year as a free agent. Don’t bother spending Kelly type crazy money on Kelly or Coniglio, our midfield just needs games and time.

The best ruckman in the comp and plays a position we will need to replace soonish, he’s an upgrade on Kreuzer in game play and his ability to get on the park.

Those critical of Phillips should see his performance in context. The money ball philosophy starts with an acceptance that no team can possess the best player for every position. The aim is instead to maximise the output you get in each role with the minimum investment of resources.

In this game we saw a backup ruckman on on bottom dollar received via a multipick trade (free)
battle hard (+5 1%ers, +1CM, halved a bunch of contests) but ultimately get outclassed (+6 HO, +13Disp at 60%, +12% TOG, nailed some big plays) by
an AA ruckman valued somewhere around 6-700K on the open market and drafted with a first round pick.

Meanwhile our young blue chip midfielders go onto win the clearances +9.

The powers that be will be comfortable with what they got from Phillips today.

The bigger concern is Kreuzer. Even if he could get out onto the park (which he can't) would he have been anything more than a marginal improvement?

I agree with the above poster, we should pursue a ruckman like Grundy hard when they are available through FA, and if we can't land them at least it will force that team to pay maximum dollar to keep them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day JLT2 - Carlton vs Collingwood - Monday 11th March 2.10PM @ Morwell - Final Team Post #777

Remove this Banner Ad

Back