Josh Gibson- Very overated

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 5, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is it just me, or is josh Gibson the most overated footballer in the AFL, who is he to think he can walk out on a club and pick and chose where he goes? He is a solid VFL player at Best, i cant beleive the price he has on his head, any club would be stupid to offer a 1st, 2nd or even 3rd round for him.
North Gave him an opportunity when no one else would, he was in the VFL going nowhere and they gave him a go, (very selfish footballer with no loyalty)

Is it just me, or is josh Gibson the most overated footballer in the AFL, who is he to think he can walk out on a club and pick and chose where he goes? He is a solid VFL player at Best, i cant believe the price he has on his head, any club would be stupid to offer a 1st, 2nd or even 3rd round for him.
North Gave him an opportunity when no one else would, he was in the VFL going nowhere and they gave him a go, (very selfish footballer with no loyalty)

Think of it a different way. Football is his job for a ten year period. There is nothing wrong with him organizing a better deal, or even a better team for a shot at a premiership. Probably money which is ok. Liken it to real world jobs and think if we restricted people from changing jobs lol - just silly.

If you still cant see it, think of it from another perspective. The clubs are now brutal on letting players go around the age of 28-30. Think Tuck at Richmond, now on the market at age 27. Where is the clubs loyalty...there is none! They tell him they are going to play kids which is a load of bullshit as they have just re-signed Richo and Cousins. What they really mean is we no longer rate you and goodbye. No loyalty to a reasonable player. Players see this and reciprocate by getting the best deal regardless of club loyalties.

It's a job first and foremost and free agency will eventually come!

Is it just me, or is josh Gibson the most overated footballer in the AFL, who is he to think he can walk out on a club and pick and chose where he goes? He is a solid VFL player at Best, i cant beleive the price he has on his head, any club would be stupid to offer a 1st, 2nd or even 3rd round for him.
Honestly your whole list except for Presti and Harry O are overated.

Haha! Someone with the name "Dale the kid Thomas" calling another player overrated is funny!

I agree to a degree on the subject however, I think he's better than a solid VFL player, but he's hardly elite. Could fit into a club like Hawthorn who are in need of a key defender though.

I don't think he was going around picking and choosing.
You'll find the Hawks tapped him up a while ago. Gets more money, the Kangaroos have his position covered, all that needs to happen is an equitable trade.

But yeah, he's no Buckley or Rocca :eek:

Has played 65 games in 4 year senior career so hardly a "VFL player at best". Yep, no superstar but has played some very good games in those 65 - and some ordinary ones! Has a role to play in a back half. Does seem to have bailed out on North a LITTLE early given he has played every game in each of last two seasons, but if someone comes knocking on your door offering you a better pay packet, so be it

Has played 65 games in 4 year senior career so hardly a "VFL player at best". Yep, no superstar but has played some very good games in those 65 - and some ordinary ones! Has a role to play in a back half. Does seem to have bailed out on North a LITTLE early given he has played every game in each of last two seasons, but if someone comes knocking on your door offering you a better pay packet, so be it
Thats all fine but if thats the players attitude then why should the club go out of its way to get him where he wants to go?

If it were up to me, it would be best deal we can get or **** you.

Dale Thomas is the most overrated player...easily.

But in terms of this year's trade period, yes, people are getting a bit too excited with Josh Gibson. Certainly part of our best 22 and capable of some very good games. But if we got Pick 25 for him I'd be happy, if we got pick 9 I'd have to go take a shower.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think of it a different way. Football is his job for a ten year period. There is nothing wrong with him organizing a better deal, or even a better team for a shot at a premiership. Probably money which is ok. Liken it to real world jobs and think if we restricted people from changing jobs lol - just silly.

If you still cant see it, think of it from another perspective. The clubs are now brutal on letting players go around the age of 28-30. Think Tuck at Richmond, now on the market at age 27. Where is the clubs loyalty...there is none! They tell him they are going to play kids which is a load of bullshit as they have just re-signed Richo and Cousins. What they really mean is we no longer rate you and goodbye. No loyalty to a reasonable player. Players see this and reciprocate by getting the best deal regardless of club loyalties.

It's a job first and foremost and free agency will eventually come!

I think this is a great post as it draws our attention to the business side of football, the side that we loyal fans don't often see or want to see. We as fans are loyal to our club - wouldn't even think about switching allegiances, so I think we kind of expect that of our players in whom we invest so much of ourselves, week in week out. We live every miskick, every errant disposal, every missed goal, hoping they will one day vindicate our support.

I was having a conversation with a mate who plays country footy in WA, and I was whinging about hating the "meat market" time of year and seeing players "walk out." He pretty much said to me, if they don't walk out, the club will cut them, so better for them to leave on their own terms. It's a brutal business and clubs are not as loyal to players as we'd like to think.

He told me he's seen time and again in the country leagues, players screwed over by clubs, having their careers ended prematurely, and ending up bitter. If it happens at those lower leagues there is no doubt it happens in the AFL as there is so much more at stake.

I used to hate seeing players walk out on clubs but now I have a different perspective on it and try to see things from the players point of view.

I don't think he was going around picking and choosing.
You'll find the Hawks tapped him up a while ago. Gets more money, the Kangaroos have his position covered, all that needs to happen is an equitable trade.

But yeah, he's no Buckley or Rocca :eek:

Amongst an array of stupidity this is probably the most sensible point. Why is pick 25 and Dowler out of the question? You're getting a guy who will slot right into your team from the word go. If there is any truth to the quality of this years draft, pick 25 isn't worth shit. Kevin Sheehan disagree's, but then he's paid to talk it up. There would need to be something else.

It's hilarious that any Collingwood fan, much less one who calls himself "Dale the kid Thomas" would start a thread about overrated footballers.

Leon Davis Board

Travis Cloke Board

Alan Didak Board

Paul Medhurst Board

Nick Maxwell Board

Simon Prestigiacomo Board

Scott Pendlebury Board

Dane Swan Board

Josh Fraser Board

Anthony Rocca Board

Peter Daicos Board

I'm getting RSI!!

Sav Rocca Board

Mick McGuane Board

Craig Starcevich Board

Ricky Barham Board

Johnny Greening Board

Des Tuddenham Board

Murray Weideman Board

Des Fothergill Board

Thorold Merrett Board

Syd Coventry Board

Or how about Daisy the nob Thomas Board?

It's hilarious that any Collingwood fan, much less one who calls himself "Dale the kid Thomas" would start a thread about overrated footballers.

Leon Davis Board

Travis Cloke Board

Alan Didak Board

Paul Medhurst Board

Nick Maxwell Board

Simon Prestigiacomo Board

Scott Pendlebury Board

Dane Swan Board

Josh Fraser Board

Anthony Rocca Board

Peter Daicos Board

I'm getting RSI!!

Sav Rocca Board

Mick McGuane Board

Craig Starcevich Board

Ricky Barham Board

Johnny Greening Board

Des Tuddenham Board

Murray Weideman Board

Des Fothergill Board

Thorold Merrett Board

Syd Coventry Board

Or how about Daisy the nob Thomas Board?

This is quite funny:thumbsu:

I love the fact hawthorn supporters are already defending this bloke, he is scum, and would suit ur mob, i would hate to be the one team in the pat 10 years to win everythin and not make the 8. Really consistant.
And u say our list is overated- apart from Hodge and sewell, u list is full of down hill skiers, and add 2 more in Burgoyne and Gibson.
Ur a very silly club if u are willing to trade a 1st or 2nd pick to north for gibson

I love the fact hawthorn supporters are already defending this bloke, he is scum, and would suit ur mob, i would hate to be the one team in the pat 10 years to win everythin and not make the 8. Really consistant.
And u say our list is overated- apart from Hodge and sewell, u list is full of down hill skiers, and add 2 more in Burgoyne and Gibson.
Ur a very silly club if u are willing to trade a 1st or 2nd pick to north for gibson

Yes, Collingwood hate winning premierships, you got that bit right.

I love the fact hawthorn supporters are already defending this bloke, he is scum, and would suit ur mob

I have to say that I don't really agree with this. Gibson has done nothing to be defined as "scum."

What was strange though is why North/Brayshaw would work to build his media profile on "The Footy Show" over this year, and that he would then dump that club to move to the Hawks.

Did he fall out of favour at North or what?

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Gibson- Very overated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back