Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly! The player people are describing is Lachie Murphy, and we all know what type of player he is.

Some people on this board have fallen for the media narrative that started earlier this season and can’t seem to ignore it since, regardless of the very good things he does for a 3rd year player.

Genuine match winners like Rachele and Rankine are needed if we are ever to compete for flags again.
Haven't fallen for anything. At his best he could be Gary Jnr.
I think it's fair to ask him to go when it's his turn. I counted at least 3 really bad efforts last night.
They matter.

I definitely think it applies to Chayce Jones.

I think a large portion of the blame for his failure to develop sits with Nicks and duds like Michael Godden.

If you watch how Jones played back in 2019 you could see that he was a see ball, get ball player with great pace and a penetrating foot.

2020 rolls in and the narrative is all about defence and playing defensive football and you could literally see that he went from this fast attacking mid to trying to play as a defensive mid and was just running around looking totally lost. It was almost like they were re-teaching him how to play football from scratch.

In the end Nicks and the other coaches smashed a square peg into a round hole and in doing so they coached his natural instincts out of his game and turned into a B grade player.

In order to stop the same same thing happening with Rachele, they need to let him play his natural game and encourage him to trust his instincts as a player because if they try and coach it out of him it's hard to get it back.
To me 2023 is the outlier for jones, bog average all other years, given so many chances and not taken.
He’s exactly the sort of player you move on before he becomes the next Mackay

Haven't fallen for anything. At his best he could be Gary Jnr.
I think it's fair to ask him to go when it's his turn. I counted at least 3 really bad efforts last night.
They matter.
Did you just ignore the 20 other good efforts then? I assume you weren’t looking closely at every other player on the field for this type of stuff either, it’s a clear bias people have with Rachele, whether consciously or subconsciously.

Did you just ignore the 20 other good efforts then? I assume you weren’t looking closely at every other player on the field for this type of stuff either, it’s a clear bias people have with Rachele, whether consciously or subconsciously.
Bias and ignoring things works both ways. Rachele is a particular problem because many of his efforts are so bad that they jump up and hit you in the face, repeatedly. We don't need to look closely. The issue is that they are far too great a percentage of his total efforts and represent a fundamental problem that needs addressing, his excellent efforts notwithstanding.

Keane is very similar. He goes from very good with disposal to very bad with one-on-one defence. Another fundamental problem needing addressing.

Noone wants to get rid of either, just for them to get rid of their problem side.

Last edited:
I was a huge fan of Rachele in his first year simply because he was a very accurate goal kicker and I saw his scoring potential. Last year was a partial let down as his goal kicking dried up, while playing midfield time at the expense of his goal accuracy. Throughout his career though, I can safely say he’s also one of those ambidextrous types like Tex and Rankine/Betts. That last goal he kicked last night was a pressure cooker and to be confident to swing it on his left was supreme foot skills.
I don’t think his attitude is very far off now, it’s more a matter of fine-tuning the attacking flair and the defensive agggression.

His attitude I think has been fine. The kid just wants to be at his full potential before he is actually capable - so he gets frustrated. I bit like JHF - just doesn’t act like as much as a w***er as JHF.
But you can see he wants to win - and he wants to be the man of the moment - and they are traits that can help make him great

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bias and ignoring things works both ways. Rachele is a particular problem because many of his efforts are so bad that they jump up and hit you in the face, repeatedly. We don't need to look closely. The issue is that they are far too great a percentage of his total efforts and represent a fundamental problem that needs addressing, his excellent efforts notwithstanding.

Keane is very similar. He goes from very good with disposal to very bad with one-on-one defence. Another fundamental problem needing addressing.

Noone wants to get rid of either, just for them to get rid of their problem side.

Agreed that his bad efforts smack you in the face but would disagree with them being far too great - 2,3 a game when he is generally getting 15 disposals is a relativity small amount I think. He will be a gun

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

no one is debating his talent. It’s that we have a kid who might not ever reach his high ceiling because of 1. His propensity to get into his own head (call it a poor attitude if you want) and 2. He chooses when to go and when not to.

And it’s bloody frustrating. This kid could be anything. ANYTHING.

He’s young. So of course we’ll wait. And we’ll wait. And he might always be this version of himself. But what a shame.

To me 2023 is the outlier for jones, bog average all other years, given so many chances and not taken.
He’s exactly the sort of player you move on before he becomes the next Mackay
If we try to move Jones on, there is no guarantee that another side wants him.

no one is debating his talent. It’s that we have a kid who might not ever reach his high ceiling because of 1. His propensity to get into his own head (call it a poor attitude if you want) and 2. He chooses when to go and when not to.

He’s young. So of course we’ll wait. And we’ll wait. And he might always be this version of himself. But what a shame.
We’ll see. At least we have drafted someone with some talent, class and potential, which has far too often not been the case for us.

Understand your frustrations, but he’s what - 20 years old?

If we try to move Jones on, there is no guarantee that another side wants him.
Doesn’t matter, just need to move him off the list, cut our losses, we shouldn’t keep him just because we can’t get something for him, that should be a clue in itself.

This looks bad on first glance but Rachele clearly pulls out of the bump because he would have smashed Ridley's head and copped weeks

I think he's confused what to do here and it makes it look bad. Imo there was never an option to bump in the first place. Ridley was closer to the ball so Rachele should have got low and gone with a tackle as he picked it up. Easy to say in hindsight, but that's what a player with natural contested instinct would have done in this day and age. He's clearly confused.

The worst part is what he does after the contact. No intensity to go after Ridley. Gives up on impacting the play.

I think he's slowly improving this area of his game over the year, but has clearly got some work to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not rubbish. The video previously shown highlighted one instance which I’m sure is one of the three you are whinging about, and you can see he didn’t tackle or bump to protect the other players head. He did the right thing.

Doesn’t matter, just need to move him off the list, cut our losses, we shouldn’t keep him just because we can’t get something for him, that should be a clue in itself.
I’m happy to move him on, 🙁I see something in him but we can’t seem to get it out of him, he’s far to defensive in his thinking the roll he plays. Another club may let him play a different roll.
I believe he could be a similar player to Walsh (Carlton) but not to the same level

Saw that and thought he didn’t have much of an option,

Absolute rubbish , this is exactly the natural side of his game that he hasn’t got! Dangerfield,hornefrances and a plethora of others would have lowered their body and slammed there hip into him. He decided to audition for dancing with the stars!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolute rubbish , this is exactly the natural side of his game that he hasn’t got! Dangerfield,hornefrances and a plethora of others would have lowered their body and slammed there hip into him. He decided to audition for dancing with the stars!

Lower his body to be lower than Ridley? You want Rachele to slam his hip while on the ground lol. Now that's absolute rubbish.

And copped a four week suspension for head contact

3 tackles inside 50. Equal game high, including one that directly lead to a goal.

But this guy “doesn’t work defensively”.

Btw I was watching him pretty closely, he did not look like he was moving freely at all, I don’t think his knee is quite right.

One thing I have noticed with Rachele, some players when there is a ball to be won make it their primary focus just to grab it, then worry about what to do with it later. With Josh, you can clearly see his mind is working a couple steps ahead, he doesn’t want to just grab the ball and be in no position to do anything, he’s looking to be creative.

I agree that he at times needs to learn when to do the simple play, but it’ll come with him.

The problem is that when he does decide to grab the ball he takes one step to many and then takes too long to decide what to do with it.

Far too great of a percentage? It seems to be one particular play that is getting highlighted here, which is actually a VERY small percentage of what he did well offensively and defensively in that game. I honestly never notice any of these things he's supposedly doing poorly defensively until after a game as someone will of course highlight it, but as I said, I'm not looking for it.

He literally kicked a match winner in his most recent game and had some massive moments in that last quarter, but here we are yet again talking about defensive efforts? :confusedv1:

Great post! Very frustrating, we have a diamond but sometimes he just looks like carbon.

Lower his body to be lower than Ridley? You want Rachele to slam his hip while on the ground lol. Now that's absolute rubbish.

Check out the video , he clearly jumped up to avoid contact , if he put as much effort into bumping him ( and you can clearly see in the video if you want to) he could have.
Don’t try to sugar coat things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back