Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're correct, that it's his on-field performance and attitude at issue, then the coaches needs their collective heads examined.

Again, he is our leading goal assist player, and the competition's best young small forward. He plays a difficult role and still kicked 30 goals this year.

As for his attitude, he adores the club. Loves celebrating with his teammates.

The only thing that makes the slightest sense is that the club has decided to discipline him for not following instructions - and when the instructions in question seem to be "if I hear you say teeth one more time..." it just makes the club look pathetic.

He adores the club, clearly otherwise he wouldnt have signed the extension. But my gut feeling is he like maybe even some others have a deep disdain for the continued selection of under performing players and then the playing group being blamed for losses. He is a player who voices himself. If we have noticed Murphy as being utterly useless, the players would have too. They arent blind.

He is a player who needs to worry about himself. There have been games this year where he has done literally nothing. Sure he has had a couple of great games. But yes Smith and Murphy are cooked. Fog isnt.

He's a key forward. Of course there are games he does nothing in this team.

He's also about to win our goal kicking, has played extremely significant parts in a number of our few wins this year, is as close to a leader as we have from the emerging group of players.

Oh, and he actually was pretty supportive of Rash, compared to the others.

Leave the Fog out of this.

Leave the Fog out of this.

page remains GIF

I'm somewhat torn.

On one hand, I hope Rachele and a couple of our other gun kids ruffle feathers and request trades at season's end.

On the other hand, to protect their own arses, I'm fearful the hierarchy will circle the wagons and back Nicks in ahead of these kids.

Will set us back 5 years or more.

Rachele - quality

Nicks - Not quality

Rachele - contracted through 2029

Nicks - Contracted through 2026.

Hopefully he rides it out. But our treatment of Rachele this year has been godawful. Despite this he has still performed bloody well. Sure he has some things to work on but the damn kid is still only 22 (and kicked 30 goals and was listed in the best AFL players under the age of 22).

Can 100% completely understand if he wants out.

There comes a point when enough’s enough and you have to take a stand to ensure growth and change. Rachele pulling out of contests and ducking out of marks all season - he would have been told repeatedly that is not acceptable at this level. Then, with the game on the line in a Showdown, he turns his body to avoid contact rather than go for the ball. His teammates would’ve been filthy and rightly so. It’s not good enough and it can’t continue. You can’t trust him when the going gets tough and you couldn’t trust him in a final at this point. Couldn’t care less about what he says during the week or his goal celebrations but if he wants to play AFL football he has to accept it’s a contact sport and that’s all 22 not 21 putting it on the line and Josh only going for easy balls. He has 6 months to think about it, if he doesn’t like it, then retire. No point going to another club, no playing group or coach in the game are going to accept that consistent refusal to go for the hard ball.

There comes a point when enough’s enough and you have to take a stand to ensure growth and change. Rachele pulling out of contests and ducking out of marks all season - he would have been told repeatedly that is not acceptable at this level. Then, with the game on the line in a Showdown, he turns his body to avoid contact rather than go for the ball. His teammates would’ve been filthy and rightly so. It’s not good enough and it can’t continue. You can’t trust him when the going gets tough and you couldn’t trust him in a final at this point. Couldn’t care less about what he says during the week or his goal celebrations but if he wants to play AFL football he has to accept it’s a contact sport and that’s all 22 not 21 putting it on the line and Josh only going for easy balls. He has 6 months to think about it, if he doesn’t like it, then retire. No point going to another club, no playing group or coach in the game are going to accept that consistent refusal to go for the hard ball.

Yup nobody would want him.... Should retire.

Our squad is full of talent as evidenced by our 15th place finish. Should bring in some honest triers like Murphy. Thats how we go.

You know what I just realised.

It was his girlfriends 21st yesterday.

I wonder if she has a party this weekend and that has something to do with it. Rather than travelling interstate.

If nicks had issues with Racheles standards then he should've addressed it earlier in the season. It's his fault for being a coward and not actually driving good standards when the season was on the line, as he was chasing wins. He did the same with Laird in the midfield until it was too late. The guys always about 10 weeks behind everyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No... You can't say many of his efforts are bad. This is a loaded statement. Massive confirmation bias.

If "too great a percentage" was goung wrong he wouldn't be 1st in goal assists.

There is a minor problem. And in context of the AFL rubbing out Crouch for pure attack on the ball, it will have a number of young players having 2nd thoughts.

He's not perfect by anymeans, but as a 3rd year player in a bottom 4 side his numbers stack up.
That’s what I reckon too. He only has to look at Rankine… out for weeks for a bump - and being bumped. Sends a message to them loud and clear…

So when he plays SANFL and kicks a goal is he just gonna have no reaction?

I would do a robot celebration if I was him, just really rub it in that the club wants robots and not real human beings with passion

Supporters should storm the field and party with him if he kicks a goal

I still don't get the "Rachele pulls out of contests" label.

Yes, there was one or two instances early on when he ducked his head in a marking contest, not knowing what was coming. He owned up and moved on.

But in almost every other instance people point out, he is trying to play the ball. Rather than just run blindly into an opposition tackle, he is trying to extract it and attack with it. Trying to create a bit of separation, and either cleanly grab the ball, or else knock it away from the opponent, and then run off with the ball. Sometimes when you do that, you get it wrong and the opponent runs off with the ball. Other times, you get it right and you get a clean disposal off.

For a player who gets most of his possessions in the forward half of the ground, it makes sense. A clean possession from Rachele is likely to end up with a score, whereas the opponent is still several disposals away from goal.

You can say this is dumb football, or that it messes with team structures, or whatever else if you like. But to paint it as some act of football cowardice misses the mark, in my opinion. This is not Rachele not wanting to get his hands dirty - it's him trying to maximise our scoring opportunities.

For the instance on the weekend, if Rachele had got it right (and he was just inches away from getting it right) then he would have been running forward with nobody between him and the goals. Worth the risk, rather than just wearing the tackle and neutralising the ball.

So when he plays SANFL and kicks a goal is he just gonna have no reaction?

I would do a robot celebration if I was him, just really rub it in that the club wants robots and not real human beings with passion
Pretend to swap a fly on his head or spill a coke

Rory Sloane bleeding another year out of the club despite clearly being past it already last year? Team first.
Mark Ricciuto... cannot escape this either. This stink belongs ultimately to him. He has been involved in all the important decisions from the review onwards.

You're a liability to the club Roo.

Team first

I still don't get the "Rachele pulls out of contests" label.

Yes, there was one or two instances early on when he ducked his head in a marking contest, not knowing what was coming. He owned up and moved on.

But in almost every other instance people point out, he is trying to play the ball. Rather than just run blindly into an opposition tackle, he is trying to extract it and attack with it. Trying to create a bit of separation, and either cleanly grab the ball, or else knock it away from the opponent, and then run off with the ball. Sometimes when you do that, you get it wrong and the opponent runs off with the ball. Other times, you get it right and you get a clean disposal off.

For a player who gets most of his possessions in the forward half of the ground, it makes sense. A clean possession from Rachele is likely to end up with a score, whereas the opponent is still several disposals away from goal.

You can say this is dumb football, or that it messes with team structures, or whatever else if you like. But to paint it as some act of football cowardice misses the mark, in my opinion. This is not Rachele not wanting to get his hands dirty - it's him trying to maximise our scoring opportunities.

For the instance on the weekend, if Rachele had got it right (and he was just inches away from getting it right) then he would have been running forward with nobody between him and the goals. Worth the risk, rather than just wearing the tackle and neutralising the ball.
I reckon there looks to be a touch of shirk about a few contests, usually the head-on or perpendicular approach contested ground ball. He's 21 and not the biggest lad out there - he's learning this stuff, and overall I'm pretty happy with when he goes and when he doesn't.

Sometimes he's harder than anyone at it, sometimes he's not. This to me says it's not an overall softness issue - but a growing decision making piece/risk assessment piece where getting it wrong is often a suspension or an injury. He's a Ferrari (second Ferrari analogy ITT) not a tractor so act accordingly. I would be pissed if "it was his time to and he just ****ing goes" and he's out suspended or badly injured.

I'd MUCH rather Rankine didn't sit vulnerably under that loose ball on the weekend. But I do karate so I don't anchor masculinity to getting hurt?!?!? or something

The club has told him to dial it back so Rachele turns the dial the other way.

Rachele doesn't respect the coach, so he rebels. Do you think the Hawks boys would ever turn on Mitchell? Geelong on Chris Scott? He sees Nicks is an idiot. Yes Rash should obey team rules but the real issue is Nicks isn't respected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back