Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon there looks to be a touch of shirk about a few contests, usually the head-on or perpendicular approach contested ground ball. He's 21 and not the biggest lad out there - he's learning this stuff, and overall I'm pretty happy with when he goes and when he doesn't.

Sometimes he's harder than anyone at it, sometimes he's not. This to me says it's not an overall softness issue - but a growing decision making piece/risk assessment piece where getting it wrong is often a suspension or an injury. He's a Ferrari (second Ferrari analogy ITT) not a tractor so act accordingly. I would be pissed if "it was his time to and he just ****ing goes" and he's out suspended or badly injured.

I'd MUCH rather Rankine didn't sit vulnerably under that loose ball on the weekend. But I do karate so I don't anchor masculinity to getting hurt?!?!? or something
To me that was an example of 'having to go' - it was a floater in the forward line, if he didn't go get it (and get poleaxed in a tackle at best) Houston would have for a likely goal. And he did. I'd expect Rachele to do the same

If it was 5 seconds to go in a loss or clear win (like Rash against Sydney) I'd agree with you.

Rachele has enough 'cracks in' efforts that I'd call him a gambler rather than soft.

Our squad is full of talent as evidenced by our 15th place finish. Should bring in some honest triers like Murphy. Thats how we go.
I would rather a talented player who pulls out of contests sometimes than one who goes for the hard ball but is consistently useless.

To me that was an example of 'having to go' - it was a floater in the forward line, if he didn't go get it (and get poleaxed in a tackle at best) Houston would have for a likely goal. And he did. I'd expect Rachele to do the same

If it was 5 seconds to go in a loss or clear win (like Rash against Sydney) I'd agree with you.

Rachele has enough 'cracks in' efforts that I'd call him a gambler rather than soft.
you're probably right, not the best example... but there are more alternative actions to going and not going eg. tapping it forward, guarding the space between the ball drop and the goals. don't wanna start drawing diagrams on the windows with lipstick but I think being a hard man in modern footy is often not the best option.

I would rather a talented player who pulls out of contests sometimes than one who goes for the hard ball but is consistently useless.
me too, there's definitely decision quality here. Betts was a good example, always went the footy but was creative or disruptive with it when it was required. I don't want Rash or Rankine running head on into Rowell.

The club has told him to dial it back so Rachele turns the dial the other way.

Rachele doesn't respect the coach, so he rebels. Do you think the Hawks boys would ever turn on Mitchell? Geelong on Chris Scott? He sees Nicks is an idiot. Yes Rash should obey team rules but the real issue is Nicks isn't respected.

Those coaches you mentioned actually deserve the respect.. Nicks has done **** all to earn it.

For the instance on the weekend, if Rachele had got it right (and he was just inches away from getting it right) then he would have been running forward with nobody between him and the goals. Worth the risk, rather than just wearing the tackle and neutralising the ball.

Nicks absolutely sees neutralising the ball as a win. Listen to him speak, every second word is 'contest'.
He was a low ceiling scrapper of a player who forged an average career through sheer grunt and effort. He doesn't understand anything else.

His disdain for players with flair and vision is very clear. He sees himself in the Murphy's of the world.

page remains GIF

1724339994668.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still don't get the "Rachele pulls out of contests" label.

Yes, there was one or two instances early on when he ducked his head in a marking contest, not knowing what was coming. He owned up and moved on.

But in almost every other instance people point out, he is trying to play the ball. Rather than just run blindly into an opposition tackle, he is trying to extract it and attack with it. Trying to create a bit of separation, and either cleanly grab the ball, or else knock it away from the opponent, and then run off with the ball. Sometimes when you do that, you get it wrong and the opponent runs off with the ball. Other times, you get it right and you get a clean disposal off.

For a player who gets most of his possessions in the forward half of the ground, it makes sense. A clean possession from Rachele is likely to end up with a score, whereas the opponent is still several disposals away from goal.

You can say this is dumb football, or that it messes with team structures, or whatever else if you like. But to paint it as some act of football cowardice misses the mark, in my opinion. This is not Rachele not wanting to get his hands dirty - it's him trying to maximise our scoring opportunities.

For the instance on the weekend, if Rachele had got it right (and he was just inches away from getting it right) then he would have been running forward with nobody between him and the goals. Worth the risk, rather than just wearing the tackle and neutralising the ball.
100%

I still don't get the "Rachele pulls out of contests" label.

Yes, there was one or two instances early on when he ducked his head in a marking contest, not knowing what was coming. He owned up and moved on.

But in almost every other instance people point out, he is trying to play the ball. Rather than just run blindly into an opposition tackle, he is trying to extract it and attack with it. Trying to create a bit of separation, and either cleanly grab the ball, or else knock it away from the opponent, and then run off with the ball. Sometimes when you do that, you get it wrong and the opponent runs off with the ball. Other times, you get it right and you get a clean disposal off.

For a player who gets most of his possessions in the forward half of the ground, it makes sense. A clean possession from Rachele is likely to end up with a score, whereas the opponent is still several disposals away from goal.

You can say this is dumb football, or that it messes with team structures, or whatever else if you like. But to paint it as some act of football cowardice misses the mark, in my opinion. This is not Rachele not wanting to get his hands dirty - it's him trying to maximise our scoring opportunities.

Anyone who's played the game knows the difference and no amount of window dressing can make up for the fact he's not prepared to put his body on the line like the other 21 players in the team are. And that's the problem. Doesn't matter what you or I say, his teammates know he lets them down regularly with his weak contests. Makes it even worse when he's running his mouth like a big man but can't back it up on the field when it's time to go. Those type of players are not respected at football clubs - of any size. If I did what Rachele has done a dozen times at least this year, I would've been dragged and given a rocket by both coach and captain. And rightly so. Everything Rachele does screams 'me'. Everyone wants to blame Nicks - think for a second how Damian Hardwick or John Longmire would react to his weak efforts. Would've been dropped a long time before now.

Anyone who's played the game knows the difference and no amount of window dressing can make up for the fact he's not prepared to put his body on the line like the other 21 players in the team are. And that's the problem. Doesn't matter what you or I say, his teammates know he lets them down regularly with his weak contests. Makes it even worse when he's running his mouth like a big man but can't back it up on the field when it's time to go. Those type of players are not respected at football clubs - of any size. If I did what Rachele has done a dozen times at least this year, I would've been dragged and given a rocket by both coach and captain. And rightly so. Everything Rachele does screams 'me'. Everyone wants to blame Nicks - think for a second how Damian Hardwick or John Longmire would react to his weak efforts. Would've been dropped a long time before now.

Almost every single player will shirk the odd contest.

We had Smith and Laird do it in the same passage of play during a game this year.

Let's not pretend Rashele is the only one who does - and that it'll never change.

Almost every single player will shirk the odd contest.

We had Smith and Laird do it in the same passage of play during a game this year.

Let's not pretend Rashele is the only one who does - and that it'll never change.
And they were eviscerated for it on this board. But everyone wants to find excuses for poor little Joshy, who is a regular repeat offender. If people want to have standards for some players and play favourites with others, then fine. Just don't pretend otherwise.

And they were eviscerated for it on this board. But everyone wants to find excuses for poor little Joshy, who is a regular repeat offender. If people want to have standards for some players and play favourites with others, then fine. Just don't pretend otherwise.
For the media to continually raise this "tag" that has now been applied to Rachele ....it's more than what supporters with rose colored glasses would have you believe

Ex players are aware of the stigma ....so are reluctant to discuss the odd pull-out that most players have done

If it were a PORT player, like Duursma dropping the mark in a Final .....the memes would be thick & fast on Rachele

Hopefully it's a maturity factor .....but in a Crows Final, I doubt Crows supporters would be offering up excuses

When was the last time a player was dropped for not being a team first player? I can't recall it being a thing at any other club
For real? The list is huge for off field 'selfish' actions. For on field, players dropped for poor efforts are probably not made public often. Remember Carlton making it public that they dropped Troy Menzel for 'lack of effort' during a game. Then we traded for him. That went predictably.

This is fundamentally incorrect. Any young footballer is taught not to reach in for the ball, but rather to run through it with body in line. Rash was definitely trying to avoid contact here. Even if you were being charitable and saying that wasn't the case, the location on the ground that he tried such a "move" - ie the corridor - was far too risky to do so and as a result opened us up on the turnover.

I think he has been treated woefully by the club.

- Wheeled out in front of media to basically admit he is not tough enough.
What the **** was that? It still annoys me that the club even did that. It was a sacrificial slaughter by the club and basically consigned him to a reputation thereon. It stunk of a Nicks-type nice guy act where we all acknowledge and learn but for some reason chose to do it in public.

- Never called out the pathetic, ongoing scrutiny of his contest work. He isn't a big midfield bull and yet somehow he has become expected to career into every contest to somehow prove himself. He isn't that type of player and doesn't need to be. There would be plenty of other players who don't throw themselves into contests yet nothing is scrutinised there because the club allowed Rachele to be given this tag by the media and never called it out. Nick ****ing Daicos doesnt even need a second hand to count the number of contested marks he takes. Some players just aren't there to take contested marks.

- Contest in the showdown where he very clearly tried a spin move but didnt get the footy (which if he did would've made commentators collectively jizz everywhere) is once again used a pile on. Once again, he is playing like the player he was meant to be, but everyone expects him to be something else.

- and then the big one, hanging him out to dry after the Showdown. The bloke is trying to lean into the rivalry and has a cheeky dig at fans. No Koch its not mean and elitist, no Rooch fans are not untouchable when it's BANTER, Port fans clearly leaned into it when you see them bring teeth lollies and when he did the celebration you could see they were either laughing/smiling or playing into it. He is trying to show up for his club and instead of guiding him, the club ****ing deserts him. Laird the dopey **** comes out and hangs him out to dry, then some ****ing prick leaks Rachele's omission early so we can spend an extra couple of days piling on and then Kelly gets on to talk utter shit.

Well **** you kid for having a bit of fun. A kid with a love of celebrations - cant have that anymore even though the crowd loves it, we are a nice guy club now.

What the hell do they think 20 year olds are like? Nurture them and they can channel their flaws. Hawks are letting players be happy and flourishing for it. Pies were the same the year before. We seem to only want robots.

You can tell me all day long if you like that Rachele has been a 'me me me' player sometimes, well guess ****ing what? Go talk to most youth with a bit of talent and that's what you get. Don't publically execute them. **** this club.

the fact he's not prepared to put his body on the line like the other 21 players in the team are. And that's the problem. Doesn't matter what you or I say, his teammates know he lets them down regularly with his weak contests.
he is prepared to put his body on the line, we’ve all seen it.
Maybe his teammates are looking for the wrong things from some players because Murphy puts his body on the line everytime no question, but look what we get from him?
Rachele has 4x the goals we have from Murphy so where does putting your body on the line every time get you and the team?

Let’s be honest here. The kid has a poor attitude. To the point where the senior players and coaches have had to resort to ‘teaching him a lesson’. He was asked not to taunt the crowd pre game. He then taunted the crowd at the first available opportunity.

No one is denying his talent. And no one at the club wants him to fail — or leave.

Unfortunately though, the club is playing with fire by going down this path as the ‘resolution’.

It will be very interesting to see if it makes the kid better or if he sooks it up. The problem is that I don’t think he is mature enough yet to deal with this in the way the club intends.

For me, the timing is the issue. He has to stew over for it a whole pre season. Let’s hope time heals and he does a lot of growing up over that period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back