Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

This whole story truly bewilders me. It seems like in the last few years the game has kind of embraced characters again and has moved on from the ultra sterile, robotic era of the 2010's. Players are more comfortable being themselves and playing up to the crowd for some theatre. Ginnivan walked up to the Pies nuffies and taunted them and the Hawks fans and playing group loved it.

And here we have a young player getting completely hung out to dry over one joke and a funny celebration which has been made a million times, with the actual fans of the club themselves no doubt saying far worse things about the Port supporters. Noone will even remember it happened by the time the next showdown rolls around.

It seems like the Crows are still in the ultra serious robotic mindset that was the rage 10 years ago, whereas the successful clubs at the moment are embracing their characters. I feel really bad for him that he has to sit there and cop that, I would feel so let down by the club.

You're delusional if you think he doesn't avoid the hard ball more than the average player. He's made progress later in the year, but the port game showed he still has that in him.
Agree, for sure he does - more than the average player. Less talented players put their body on the line all the time, to a reckless level because they are desperate to maintain selection.

The modern (brain-aware) contest is a craft of decision quality and creativity… he’s a 21 year old that definitely DOES go, maybe just not enough for some hardmen at home. 😅

I reckon Sholl is a good example of someone who has more toughness deficiencies than Rash, who has learned to manage it better than he has historically. I was a huge critic… he’s come a long way.

I'm not sure anyone is throwing him under the bus though? I didn't love Laird's comments but no one is saying he is the reason we lost. Josh has had a few silly moments this year.
Who else was held accountable for the port loss? Gallant? Would have been dropped for Tex even if we by 100+.

Literally the only person who's been hit by the selection integrity axe - and one of very few for the whole year.

And as others mention Nicks says its multiple things, Dawson says its cause his pre game comments and celebration don't help us win. Neither does our leaders going missing for big stretches of games when the heat is on. The inconsistentcy in galling.

This week has made me feel so removed from the club. Who knew the rot ran this deep?
It's like Being John Malkovich

People enter the club with their own thoughts and ideas but eventually go through a portal into Neil Craig's brain

It's like Being John Malkovich

People enter the club with their own thoughts and ideas but eventually go through a portal into Neil Craig's brain
How have our women avoided this? They are amazing and the only good thing about the AFC.

How have our women avoided this? They are amazing and the only good thing about the AFC.
Maybe the powers that be don't care about women's football so keep their noses out

I was talking to someone who said they were listening to Triple M when they were talking about the Gawler Show and Roo seriously asked "Where's that held then?"

He runs our footy department.
Sure he didn’t say “when’s that held then?”
Makes more sense than “where’s that held then?”

Sure he didn’t say “when’s that held then?”
Makes more sense than “where’s that held then?”
Possibly

It's difficult to make out the words sometimes with his raspy, high-pitched yet mumbly voice

It's lucky he doesn't commentate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% this. There could be any number of reasons he's not playing more midfield - they want him to reach certain fitness milestones, or they want him to focus on a certain aspect of his game, or they're trying to back in different players, etc. You can argue about the merits of those reasons.

But given that he's made his desire to play more midfield very clear, even doing so in public, the club should be making it very clear to him what he needs to do to get in there. Or, if for some reason they have just decided he's not going to be a midfielder, they should make that clear to him as well.

For Rachele to come out on a news show and indicate he wants to play midfield, is having trouble impacting the game in his current role, and has no idea why he's not being played through the middle, is inexcusable. The club needs to work that shit out ASAP.

And if someone important and best 22 like Rachele is experiencing that lack of communication, what hope does someone like Taylor have? What does he have to do to get a game in the seniors? Who knows.
Agree but it could well be that he’s just not mature enough to listen and take it on board. Who hasn’t had a poor performing employee who just can’t take on the feedback. Ego and maturity may also have something to do with it.

Reliable source says Racheles parents want him back home in VIC next season.
They are very unhappy with how he has been treated this past week and think a fresh start close to family will do him a world of good.
So you decide to create a new account to post this?
Just post in your normal account.

Maybe his teammates are looking for the wrong things from some players because Murphy puts his body on the line everytime no question, but look what we get from him?
Rachele has 4x the goals we have from Murphy so where does putting your body on the line every time get you and the team?
Murphy is just a battering ram who doesn't produce goals, despite being a forward.

Let’s be honest here. The kid has a poor attitude. To the point where the senior players and coaches have had to resort to ‘teaching him a lesson’. He was asked not to taunt the crowd pre game. He then taunted the crowd at the first available opportunity.

No one is denying his talent. And no one at the club wants him to fail — or leave.

Unfortunately though, the club is playing with fire by going down this path as the ‘resolution’.

It will be very interesting to see if it makes the kid better or if he sooks it up. The problem is that I don’t think he is mature enough yet to deal with this in the way the club intends.

For me, the timing is the issue. He has to stew over for it a whole pre season. Let’s hope time heals and he does a lot of growing up over that period.
Why tell him not to taunt the crowd in the first place?

Were the Crows leaders scared it would make the crowd louder and pump up the Power players? Seems weak.

On motorola edge 30 pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why tell him not to taunt the crowd in the first place?

Were the Crows leaders scared it would make the crowd louder and pump up the Power players? Seems weak.

On motorola edge 30 pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
No wonder we have a poor record away from home, please don’t intimidate us

Boy oh boy you fans will be the reason Rachele leaves, not the decision for him to get dropped. Shaking the cage after someone gets dropped after 10 disposals at 40% disposal efficiency. Go back in this thread a month ago and ya’ll were asking for him to be dropped. He finally gets dropped, and apparently it’s a crisis? Talk about a beat up.

The club has backed him in all season, when he had some real ugly moments that have cost us games. He has publicly come out and demanded midfield minutes but continues to shirk contests. He has finally been dropped (maybe a bit too late) for a dead rubber in Sydney against the top team and you’re all ripping up your memberships?

I enjoyed the banter during the week, and had a chuckle at the celebration, but there is a certain expectation that if you put the spotlight on yourself, particularly for an away game, that you back it up. Josh did not do that. Chad Cornes (hate him) would at least make his comments, but then destroy us most showdowns.

Port have been the ones recently making comments prior to showdowns, their whole ‘crows are entitled’ script, and it didn’t work for them. Josh gave Port a reason to be fired up, and the fans backed them up.

All this ‘he has no choice but to ask for a trade now’ talk is crap. How many games do you think Tex, Bernie Vince would’ve played for the club if they asked for a trade every time they got told off? We will actually learn a lot about Josh in the next 6 months. This could be a turning point and he might knuckle down big time. If he asks for a trade? Well, then he can’t have been that invested in the first place.

The only issue I have with how this was handled was Rory Laird’s comments on radio. His football hasn’t done the talking in years now, so he has no place to make those comments.

Josh has all the makings of a star, but still has so so so many things in his game he needs to iron out, and I think him focusing on those deficiency’s rather than poking the bear will hold him and the club in better stead going forward.

Look forward to all you campaigners disagreeing with me :)

As someone has pointed out he is above average for nearly every stat this year and over his 56 career games so far. Pity someone who has similar role and is in the leadership group we could say the same and that particular individual has never been dropped the last 4 years for below par performances.

At the same stage of his career he is comparable to Izak Rankine - so think he is being hung out to dry by his own senior players and the club itself.

Should he decide to walk out the club, the same individuals endorsing these actions will wonder why.

Look forward to your 7th post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back