Jourdan Canil's 2015 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Considered Burton, but think his leg break is much worse than people think.

Balic and Mathieson are best available at those spots. Criminally under rated because their highlight reels aren't as spectacular.

Most clubs will be looking to take just enough to make the minimum of 38 senior spots. After 40~50, most of those players that Essendon may be interested in as project players will be available as rookies, which means cheaper contracts. Can't see why the Bombers would use an extra senior spot if they don't have to.
Crows need a backup for Walker and Jenkins. If H McKay already gone, Burton is best option. They did take a great punt on Lever last year. Would also be happy with one of Oliver, Mathieson or Gresham. Not as enthused about Balic.

The perfect result for Carlton, I feel.

Just can't help thinking of Burton though........
A plate and seven screws in his knee after trading Menzel who has had knee troubles. Isn't a safe option for SOS who needs to nail 19 after offloading Yarran and Menzel. A vanilla mid or flanker might be unfashionable, but we need more than upside to build a top side. Even Rendell felt Sloane had questionable disposal. He played on Yarran before becoming a mid.

Last edited:
A plate and seven screws in his knee after trading Menzel who has had knee troubles. Isn't a safe option for SOS who needs to nail 19 after offloading Yarran and Menzel. A vanilla mid or flanker might be unfashionable, but we need more than upside to build a top side. Even Rendell felt Sloane had questionable disposal. He played on Yarran before becoming a mid.

Carlton simply must play it safe with their early picks for the next couple of years. Build up a solid core of players. There's no point getting rid of Yarran and Menzel if you replace them with similar players. You need the cake before you can add the cream.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you.
I don't get why would reach to draft an undersized KPF at P3... Particularly when we have P7 up our sleeves and he's every chance to be there anyway.

We need midfielders, lots of them. The more the merrier. Besides we already have the best young forward in the game, a second would be great, but we need to get him the ball.

If we go tall, which we may well at 7, we'd be looking to draft someone capable of rucking as a back up to Gawn. My bet however is Oliver at 7, as Weid will go to the Bombers and Harry McKay is just to much of a reach when considering the talent availible.

Roos loves his midfielders.

I don't get why would reach to draft an undersized KPF at P3... Particularly when we have P7 up our sleeves and he's every chance to be there anyway.

We need midfielders, lots of them. The more the merrier. Besides we already have the best young forward in the game, a second would be great, but we need to get him the ball.

If we go tall, which we may well at 7, we'd be looking to draft someone capable of rucking as a back up to Gawn. My bet however is Oliver at 7, as Weid will go to the Bombers and Harry McKay is just to much of a reach when considering the talent availible.

Roos loves his midfielders.

I'm firming in my belief that Melbourne go

3. Parish
7. H.McKay

Parish best available mid and McKay the perfect partner for young dominant KPF Hogan and young Ruckman Gawn. I don't think McKay is a reach. Potential is huge given his size, ability, birthdate and sound body.

Nice draft. One player most Phantom Drafters have left out but is reputedly on many clubs' radar is Marcus Adams. I appreciate mature agers are hard to line up. Did you consider him?

I'm firming in my belief that Melbourne go

3. Parish
7. H.McKay

Parish best available mid and McKay the perfect partner for young dominant KPF Hogan and young Ruckman Gawn. I don't think McKay is a reach. Potential is huge given his size, ability, birthdate and sound body.
Agree totally with everything you have said here. What most have forgotten as well is that Petracca can play forward as well in a Stringer/Brad Johnson type role. McKay would be a good get or possibly Weideman but also in today's football system a forward line is the sum of all parts not the 80's type of kick it just to the FF.

I think it is hard to see Melbourne passing on Parish. Hence why they wanted pick 3. Parish had no chance of being there at 6 while Curnow was a chance. If we do decide to grab Curnow, which would make sense considering aside from Garlett and Hoges, our forwardline is very weak. Petracca coming back will help a bit. Grabbing Curnow i think would have us taking Clayton Oliver at 7. My mail is that we have some intrest. If we take Paris which I expect, I think Sam Weideman will be available for us at 7, as the Dons won't take both him and Curnow, and the Suns are stacked with KPF with Day, Lynch and Wright

Wasn't aware they were locked in. I'm surprised Essendon hasn't upgraded McKenna then, I thought he showed plenty.

Very interesting. You're not the first person to suggest that the Parish to Melbourne move is no certainty. If Curnow goes to Melbourne and Parish falls through, I think Essendon should just take the two best players - Parish and Francis. I think it's quite likely we can pick up a decent KPP with either 28 or 29, and I definitely don't rate Weideman as a top 7 pick.

Nah won't be any kpp's left by then. Ben McKay will be well and truly gone. Himmelberg is an inbetween type and GWS will probably match it. Don't think guys like Moore, Glass-McCasker etc are what the Bombers need, and certainly not at that pick. David Cuningham, Alex Morgan or Brayden Fiorini make a bit more sense.

44. Hawthorn – Kurt Heatherley (rookie upgrade)

Surely hawks use this pick

They might, but depends if they're keen to have more than 38 senior listed players. It's looking likely only 60 players will be taken in the National this year, don't be surprised if Rookie Upgrades come a fair bit earlier.

Crows need a backup for Walker and Jenkins. If H McKay already gone, Burton is best option. They did take a great punt on Lever last year. Would also be happy with one of Oliver, Mathieson or Gresham. Not as enthused about Balic.

I considered Burton, and I think the Crows will too. I don't really see a shrewd drafter bringing in Burton as a back up, particularly at that high a pick. I think Ogilvy would take Burton if he can see him cementing a place in the side. Don't think Burton is the type of guy who would be happy to be a 'back-up'

The reason it makes sense is based on the fit / how the game is changing. I'm not of the belief that Curnow is a better player, and again, I stress that if it was me, I'd take Parish. But again, my mail is pretty strong on this.

Nice draft. One player most Phantom Drafters have left out but is reputedly on many clubs' radar is Marcus Adams. I appreciate mature agers are hard to line up. Did you consider him?

Heard a bit about him, but with mature agers, I tend to leave them out unless I've got some knowledge on if a club is particularly keen. I think he is a decent chance to get taken, but didn't want to put him in unless I was fairly sure.

Hey Jourdan what is your reasoning behind Balic and Mathesion. I like them both but i would think we take a tall.

Just think both are best available. I think Ah Chee might be a chance, as may Burton (although I don't think he may necessarily be a good fit). Crows are a bit of a mystery to me at the moment, haven't got a whole lot of mail on them.

Great effort Jourdan. What are the chances of Essendon taking a punt on Daniel Rioli with either of their 2nd round picks?? Seriously good chance he could be special I think

Would of thought bombers would of drafted a couple more players

They may well do. Could also look to re-rookie Hams or NOB.

Great effort Jourdan. What are the chances of Essendon taking a punt on Daniel Rioli with either of their 2nd round picks?? Seriously good chance he could be special I think

Thanks mate. It's a possibility. I liked a couple of things he did against Tasmania, but aside from that, I haven't really seen too many encouraging signs in terms of actual in-game play. Love the athleticism though.

Think David Cuningham is also going to be a strong consideration at one of those picks. He's got great speed and I particularly like his ability to weave through traffic. Think he could be a really special player around the stoppages. A few clubs will consider him in the early 20's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jourdan Canil's 2015 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back