Traded Junior Rioli (West Coast) - [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with you re. the rating of picks.
And yet many Port supporters would have us accept your pick 52 (which is many degrees worse again) for a good player.

32-40 is where i'd be okay with trading him and for 2x400k. If he busts, he busts. I just don't accept that he's a 'good' player. He's played 50 games at 27 and was poor this year. His best year was 28 goals, about the same as rozee's 1st year at 18, when we sucked and didn't have a KPF for most of the year. I am generally critical of people who come on here and are like 'yeah we want him, but he's only worth a bag of chips'. In this case though, the only reason we seem to be into him is we basically have no small forwards. Fantasia is held together with gaffa tape, Motlop and Gray retired, and we don't want to waste players like Bergman/Rozee/Butters/Farrell in the position. It's just crazy to me that we are rolling the red carpet out for a guy that frankly should be thankful he's still in the system.

I just find this all very depressing. 4 year deals and 2nd round picks, he's ... just not that good. His best year was 1.3 goals a game when 1.0 goals a game at 27 probably makes him worthless and interchangeable with basically any AFL standard small forward in the comp. I don't understand how you can have so little exposed form, be a dickhead, pretty much admit on live TV that you won't buy into the culture and are leaving for money, and still have clubs fawning over you with contracts in the realm of some of the highest paid public servants in the country. Then watch us trade someone like DBJ for less than Rioli because the Vic media says we 'want to get rid of him and therefore have to accept unders'.

Cyril Rioli averaged under 1.5 goals a game in his career and had one season kicking 2 a game. It's not all about goals.

I agree some of the contract and trade offers thrown around these days are nuts, but if Port put 3 x $300k and pick 50 on the table for Rioli I don't think it will get it done.

Cyril Rioli averaged under 1.5 goals a game in his career and had one season kicking 2 a game. It's not all about goals.

I agree some of the contract and trade offers thrown around these days are nuts, but if Port put 3 x $300k and pick 50 on the table for Rioli I don't think it will get it done.

That's okay with me and basically all of the Port board. Ether it's media bs, or someone at Port is desperate asf to keep their job.

At a quick glance, if it’s not about goals, what is it about? This looks to me like the definition of an average player. To be honest I don’t get why we are even chasing him.

Attachments

• E6BAD24B-7129-4956-A520-EF312A1018F1.png
    E6BAD24B-7129-4956-A520-EF312A1018F1.png
    170.2 KB · Views: 34

3 x $300?

Port are offering 4 x what? And its more than $300k.

I do get that, but he is also considered average as a small forward for score involvements, below average for pressure acts and intercept marks, so it can’t be that important to his value.

One of those 'below average' stats helped win a flag for the Eagles.

And considering Port are offering a well above average contract with several other clubs interested plus his existing club wanting to keep him, Id suggest that some on here dont understand what is valuable and above average.

And considering Port are offering a well above average contract with several other clubs interested plus his existing club wanting to keep him, Id suggest that some on here dont understand what is valuable and above average.
It might have helped, but being a role player in a flag 4 years ago doesn’t equate to value now. And I don’t actually know what ports offer is, the only things that have been reported is it’s similar financially to the eagles offer with no strings attached. Which if you ask me is unnecessarily risky on our part. Look I am hoping we get him for nothing and he turns out to be a superstar, but I don’t think either of those hopes are realistic. Port obviously see something that I am not sure I do.

He runs through the midfield occasionally, so you can't go on goal averages etc
Then you'd expect a bump in his possessions etc..

He played centre square quite a bit in a recent game against the Suns.
In that game he had 14 possessions, 4 clearances, 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements, went at 78%
An ok game for a guy splitting time mid / forward.
He's very good with ball in hand.

Think he'll be a good get for Port but don't think he can be talked up as anything more than an average player league wide.

At a quick glance, if it’s not about goals, what is it about? This looks to me like the definition of an average player. To be honest I don’t get why we are even chasing him.
an average player doesn't attend the final centre bounce at the death of an extremely close grand final in his very first year. his football IQ is off the charts and he can make the impossible happen. your club knows this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And if the umpire hadn't been blind at that time, Rioli would have correctly been the one that gave away a free kick that saved the Pies.

He is pretty well worthless, 3rd rounder at best and given the lack of character he has shown in abandoning the Eagles after they stood by him - the Eagles are better off without him.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

an average player doesn't attend the final centre bounce at the death of an extremely close grand final in his very first year. his football IQ is off the charts and he can make the impossible happen. your club knows this.

That’s all well and good but that was 4 years ago now. Since then, he hasn’t contributed much at all on the field where it counts.

We keep hearing about this potential talent or glimpses he showed during a premiership year but that was years and years ago and his value is significantly less now compared to then.

That’s all well and good but that was 4 years ago now. Since then, he hasn’t contributed much at all on the field where it counts.

We keep hearing about this potential talent or glimpses he showed during a premiership year but that was years and years ago and his value is significantly less now compared to then.

At least you've stopped comparing him to Rohan.

Keep heading in the right direction, you will get there.

Not because I'm a Crows supporter, but I reckon there's a risk trading him in, has a long rap sheet.

200px-CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

Eagles never seem to have any negotiating power ever.

And he wont be getting $650k. That is just silly money.

Happy for the Eagles to stand firm and potentially get nothing. Which is what a 3rd rounder basically is. Port can act like arseholes if they want to. What goes around comes around and next year they have WA players out of contract and the Eagles will likely have low picks in the PSD and cap space to go shopping.
Port Power are desperate for their last ditch at the Premiership under Hinkley and have the salary cap with Gray retiring so they desperately need a small forward after missing out on Rankine so why would that be silly money? He is selling himself to the highest bidder who is a desperate buyer so I can see them having to offer him $200K more to move.

Port Power are desperate for their last ditch at the Premiership under Hinkley and have the salary cap with Gray retiring so they desperately need a small forward after missing out on Rankine so why would that be silly money? He is selling himself to the highest bidder who is a desperate buyer so I can see them having to offer him $200K more to move.
$650 000 for Rioli without his rap sheet is silly money.
That's money for key position players, not overweight forward pockets.

$650 000 for Rioli with his history is ludicrous.

I don't think he's been offered it either.

Footy isn't played on paper. Jason Castagna is a 12 disposal goal a game forward. So is Alex Sexton. You could go after one of them.

Port see something in Rioli even if the fans apparently don't.

I'd be upset to be losing him if we were in a better spot as he was an important front half player. Given we have no realistic chance of contending until Rioli is 30+ it's not the end of the world if he goes, just disappointing.

3 x $300?

Port are offering 4 x what? And its more than $300k.

That's what I'm asking. If Rioli is an average player and a risk then he's not really worth more than 2-3 years at an average salary or less. I would've thought maybe $400k a year, $500k at a stretch. By however many years the club is prepared to offer. If the trade offer is pick 50+ it's not worth the trade. If the salary offer wasn't decent I doubt he would be looking at moving.

Footy isn't played on paper. Jason Castagna is a 12 disposal goal a game forward. So is Alex Sexton. You could go after one of them.

Port see something in Rioli even if the fans apparently don't.
Yep. I know footy isn’t played on paper, but a players value has to be measured somehow. It can’t be intangibles only. I’m not trying to pick a fight or anything here but with their similar stats what would expect to pay for either of the guys you mentioned? They would be worth throw away picks at best. Happy that rioli would be worth more than that. But you can’t argue it doesn’t come with an element of risk, one that I am not really comfortable with.

Yep. I know footy isn’t played on paper, but a players value has to be measured somehow. It can’t be intangibles only. I’m not trying to pick a fight or anything here but with their similar stats what would expect to pay for either of the guys you mentioned? They would be worth throw away picks at best. Happy that rioli would be worth more than that. But you can’t argue it doesn’t come with an element of risk, one that I am not really comfortable with.

Absolutely an element of risk. I'm surprised Port are suddenly so interested and are offering a 4 year deal, yet here we are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Junior Rioli (West Coast) - [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back