Just hand the flamin flag to the pies and be done with it

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freo were not talked up as challengers. yet they will be the only team to finish above both Carlton and Essendon.

Sydney, were shorter to miss the 8 than make it at start of the year.

St.Kilda are gone.

Hawthorn are ordinary (they have only beaten WestCoast - 16th last year, Richmond 15th last year and Melbourne 12th last year). They lose when up against average sides.

Carlton and Essendon are bigger scalps than Sydney, St.Kilda and Hawthorn.

Oh my........

I find it bizarre that people say Carlton are overrated. I think most people are pretty realistic about where we are. IMO Hawthorn are the most overrated, constantly failing to deliver (since 2008, obviously) yet constantly being pumped up by the media & supporters alike.

Carlton & Essendon both pushed the Pies but lacked the polish to finish them off. Geelong are a class above both Bombers & Blues and will give the Pies a rattling. Do they play Freo @ Subi? That will also be a tough ask.

I find it bizarre that people say Carlton are overrated. I think most people are pretty realistic about where we are. IMO Hawthorn are the most overrated, constantly failing to deliver (since 2008, obviously) yet constantly being pumped up by the media & supporters alike.

Carlton & Essendon both pushed the Pies but lacked the polish to finish them off. Geelong are a class above both Bombers & Blues and will give the Pies a rattling. Do they play Freo @ Subi? That will also be a tough ask.

-agree with this. We play Freo at Subi in round 23 -and Geelong at the 'G in rounds 8 and 24. It will be like starting the finals 2 weeks early at the end of August!

On current form, Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Geelong and Freo are all ahead of Hawthorn. Hawks are a 6th to 8th side -nothing special. They, more than any other side in the comp, rely on a handful of key players to win their matches.

Can I ask a serious question of Cats fans.

At any point, did you feel like 2008 was in the bag as a supporter group?

Is there such a feeling?

Yep, come back in 3 weeks, and if we have handled the Cats and Dogs in the manner we did the Blues and Bombers (with ease at half pace), then you can start these type of threads.;):cool:
yes and no. We handled you guys pretty easily in about round 9 last year, and I figured you were no threat. So doesn't matter what happens in the next 3 weeks, us/dogs could still be a threat come september....

Can I ask a serious question of Cats fans.

At any point, did you feel like 2008 was in the bag as a supporter group?

Is there such a feeling?
I rocked up grand final day will a post pack for the weg posters and enough cash for some of the game day t-shirts (had seen them sell for up to $200 the year before on ebay). So yeah, huge dose of reality that year. Didn't think it was in the bag until we made it though.

Will NEVER let that feeling come back again..... N E VE R ! !

Another training drill vs the downhill skiers from Whitten Oval this week.
This is how it will be played.
Pies up by 30 at qtr time, goal for goal for an hour , foot on the pedal in the
last stanza by the Pies to record an easy 50 point win.
Eade will then declare that the Pies are still the benchmark.

He will then name an unchanged line up for the next game.

Collingwood are clearly the best team, if they get to September in full health, hold their nerve and kick straight in two knockout finals they'll take the cup.

Geelong and Freo look good enough to take advantage if any bad luck, complacency or poor execution creeps in.

Let's not forget that nearly happened last year and can anyone seriously say that Geelong in 11 is not a stiffer challenge than Saints last year?

If Freo get a home final in week one of the finals they are in it up to their necks.

You know like certain teams match up better on Collingwood, you guys got flogged in the prelim, i'm not sure where i said Fremantle will challenge? and Hawthorn beat the Pies last year.

I recall the Saints beating us pretty handily in the middle of the year at the MCG, and Freo beating us at Subiaco last year too, yet we've beaten both those teams at those venues thus far this year without Ablett.

Just goes to show you can't rely on last year's results to predict this year's.

The Pies just look brilliant at the moment. What they have is an ability to turn it on for 5-10 minutes and assert their authority via the scoreboard, seemingly at will (well at least when they need to). Basically in any match, the two sides will have their own periods of domination. What the pies do is maximise it by kicking goals when they should. As a Bombers supporter I have watched us throw away the advantage by having periods where we haven't hurt the opposition at these times, despite domination around the ground.

This is not to say someone won't come out of the pack though. Back in 2001 we started as the shortest of favourites, but in the second half of the year, injuries took their toll. What was probably most surprising was that in a period of weakness, where people were probably looking at Carlton and North Melbourne to make a charge, as they had been up there for the previous few seasons, it was Brisbane which came out of the pack. Given they lost 3 of their first 4, and were I think 4 wins from their first 9 matches in 01, who would have foreseen them winning the premiership later in the year.

All things being equal, the Pies should win this year. But anything can happen, and almost any team out can jump out of the pack to challenge if the planets align like they did in 01 for the Lions.

Would love it if it happened and it was the Bombers of course, but we all like to dream.

Plenty of dominant teams don't end up winning the big one. As 2008 showed Geelong, you still have to win on the day.

Pies fans are remarkably up themselves considering that they drew with St Kilda only 7 games ago in the GF. And look at the Saints now, with basically the same list.

Geelong were terrible in the prelim last year and Collingwood played much, much better on the day. That means nothing this year.

Anyway, let Pies fans pump themselves up. The no chance, has been Cats can continue to fly under the radar of noone except Pies fans a while longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dons 99 and Cats 2008 spring to mind.

And half way through last year Geelong seemed like a sure thing too.

Pies came from nowhere to dominate the end of the season.

There's a lot of footy left to play.

Dons 99 and Cats 2008 spring to mind.

And half way through last year Geelong seemed like a sure thing too.

Pies came from nowhere to dominate the end of the season.

There's a lot of footy left to play.

Came from 2nd, if that's nowhere I wonder where that leaves the rest of the comp, parallel universe?

Can someone explain what im missing with this whole hawks things. They have lost to adelaide a team who is sitting 13th with a single win. Beaten Melb,Rich and west coast all who i wouldnt say are exactly top notch teams this year... Then lost to geelong. Why are they such a threat to collingwood?

Can someone explain what im missing with this whole hawks things. They have lost to adelaide a team who is sitting 13th with a single win. Beaten Melb,Rich and west coast all who i wouldnt say are exactly top notch teams this year... Then lost to geelong. Why are they such a threat to collingwood?

They're not. In his post match press conference after today's game, Clarkson said he didn't know why there was so much hype in the media about Hawthorn being right up there.

Part of the reason they have been talked up as a threat is because it is early in the season, so too early to draw solid form lines yet. In the absence of enough data at this early stage of the season, pundits have used past form against collingwood as a guide. It is a very long time since pies were able to beat Hawthorn when Buddy is playing, so logically they are talked up as threats. The loss to the cats doesn't do much to dispel that (especially as the Hawks led for the majority of the game). Unless the Hawks lose a lot more more games to bottom 8 contenders over the next few weeks, we'll continue to be talked up as one of several challengers until the two teams meet.

In terms of form lines, people are still waiting to see how pies go against decent opposition. While they've won most of their games comfortably, 4 out of their 5 wins so far have been against bottom 8 teams of last year, and the two teams they've played who are seen as most likely to be challenging for top 4 this year, they have been less impressive against.

Right now Geelong are clearly the form team of the competition in terms of who they've got their wins against.

Collingwood aren't that good of a side. if you can force turnovers you should beat them. they get carved up on the counter. still think geelong is the best team in the comp and will win the flag. however hawks could get on a good run come finals time. other then those 3 nobody has a hope.

Its because of Franklin. Everyone loves a big power forward and he is the best there is. When he is on song the Hawks are hard to beat, thus their chances are talked up. However, if you nullify him as good teams are learning to do, then that reliance becomes an issue.

Heck even today he looked dangerous for the first quarter.

Collingwood aren't that good of a side. if you can force turnovers you should beat them. they get carved up on the counter.

This is probably true of all teams trying to play a forward press. Hawks have also been hurt on turnovers when playing the press (although more against Adelaide than against Geelong IMO, where we played a mixture of one-on-one and forward press in the latter game). Hawthorn might be a bit more exposed in this regard due to lack of height in defence making one-on-ones in the forward 50 a bit scarier for them (something that happens more often when getting caught out on the counter).

Port Adelaide will beat them later in the season and then in the grand final.

funny-face-i-love-you-21312847.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmm...... I seem to remember people saying the same thing about Geelong early in the season last year. Don't get ahead of yourselves. Injuries can do damage to any teams September prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back