Just watching the replay before....

Remove this Banner Ad

Those missed opportunities cancel out, the double 50, the tough holding the ball decision against Hodge, and Mooney's arsy goal from the boundary. The rushed behinds by Hawthorn which inflated your scoreline was smart football in the circumstances. One would rather give away three behinds, than cop 3 potential goals. Well drilled and well coached were Hawthorn.

surely you are taking the piss... giving away 2 50m penaltys is undiscaplened on your behalf, hodge had 2 weeks to get rid of that ball the ump made the right call, and you blokes kept kicking goals from everywhere yourselves(young,dew,franklin all at least 50 out and on angles). The logic you have provided is crap. You blokes were the better side on the day because you took your chances and we threw ours away!!!

BS - The moments you raised above are just swings and roundabouts for:

Harley's "50" that gave osbourne the goal at a cruicial stage of the 3rd term
- Brown's "arsey" shot from almost the boundary again in the third
- Josh Hunt's 'in the back' to give you another goal.

Sorry but there was no 'cancelling out' of Geelong's disgraceful kicking for goal by the Hawks. Your shots just 'dropped', ours didn't. The lack of scoreboard pressure was the telling difference.

The cats blew it, plain and simple.

That 50 was actually int he last, that go was the sealer! The biggest things i thought come out of the grand final was,

1. Bomber was outcoached, clearly!
2. When your best player gets cleaned up big time not once but twice, no one flys the flag for him, i thought that was pathetic! You go back to the Ling/Solomon incident and the flag was flown as it should, but when Ablett is picked off nothing, is Ling more respected by the playing group?

While I'm at it Ablett was clearly the best player on the ground, he left nothing out there, the bloke is a dead set champion, and a credit to his family! How Leigh Matthews couldnt squeeze him into the votes I dont know how?

Why would any Geelong fan contemplate watching it again? Nothing good can or will be gained from it, just more pain. Like someone said earlier, maybe in a few weeks when im a bit bored with footyless weekends i will pull out the 2007 GF and have a few beers.

Why would any Geelong fan contemplate watching it again? Nothing good can or will be gained from it, just more pain. Like someone said earlier, maybe in a few weeks when im a bit bored with footyless weekends i will pull out the 2007 GF and have a few beers.

Way to go.

As my fellow Lions person CoZi36 said, don't punish yourself by re-living bad memories.

I haven't ever, ever been able to bring myself to watch the 2004 replay and I have absolutely no intention of doing so in my lifetime.

Cheers and good luck for 2009:)

Just need to find a download somewhere and I'll have a look it in the next couple of weeks.

Best 1st half GF in quite a while.

It will be hard because I still cringe at errors in the 07 GF. Which means I'll spew at these ones.

But I was in a room of 50 people and missed all the commentary etc so I want to at least have a peek.

I'll just have to make sure the family knows I'll have the shits for a day....again.

I couldn't agree more. I'll never watch it. Ever.
I haven't even been able to turn on the news or the radio yet.

Well I've done it. I've watched it again. :eek:

Yep, bad decisions and lots of them. Mooney the worst offender. His kicking for goal in particular, atrocious. Chapman was bad too in this regard.

SJ and Mackie largely unsighted.

Stokes - worst on ground.

Trav got found out. Lonergan clumsy.

Mitchell - worst on ground for Hawthorn.

Our backline was actually OK. The way the ball was coming in Scarlett was very good.

Ablett - sensational.

I actually feel a little better after watching the replay believe it or not. I realised that umpiring was equally bad both ways. We actually got lots of goals from free kicks/dubious 50 metre penalties. We missed opportunities, but Hawthorn we're actually the better team on the day IMO.

Mackie and SJ were ok certainly not our worst. The backline functioned well and did its job. When you lose with 20 more inside 50's than the other team it tells the story right there. Our forward line sucked ass and choked. Bombers assessment was spot on post match:

Backline was Great
Midfield was workmanlike
Forward was woeful

but I will download the game and watch again maybe in a few months when I can handle it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To an extent, I bet most of us could see it coming. If the midfield didn't play 'well' and kick lots of goals between them there was a chance we would struggle. Our forwardline is our well known weakness. All it took was for our midfield to have a so-so game, Mooney to miss his shots and we were on our arse.

I watched up until 8 minutes left in the 3rd today (when it all went to shit). We dominated the entire 2nd quarter and over half the 3rd quarter and bang bang bang bang bang Hawthorn kicked 5 in 6 minutes after all of our points and fumbles and we were a little lucky to steal 2 back right before the siren making it look closer than it should have been. For all the dominance over the field Hawthorn only needed half a chance and they smashed through goal after goal.

I watched up until 8 minutes left in the 3rd today (when it all went to shit). We dominated the entire 2nd quarter and over half the 3rd quarter and bang bang bang bang bang Hawthorn kicked 5 in 6 minutes after all of our points and fumbles and we were a little lucky to steal 2 back right before the siren making it look closer than it should have been. For all the dominance over the field Hawthorn only needed half a chance and they smashed through goal after goal.

That's what makes me wonder if our backline had a worse day than we think? As said above, it leaked 18 goals from 40 odd inside 50's, with several that came through 'half chances'.
The reason we struggled was because there was pressure on our player kicking it into 50, then there was pressure on the player going for goal.
On the other hand, we allowed them space to roam through the middle of the ground, and put on minimal pressure which allowed them to take those 'half chances'.
I thought our midfield was the best performed (on top in clearances and inside 50's, so did their job), then the defense, then the forward line was worst performed.

I don't need to watch this shit of a thing again to remember what went wrong.

It's simple. We had more of the ball, went in just as hard, had much more opportunity to score and we flat out blew it. Hawthorn kicked goals that were party tricks and we couldn't dob one from 5 metres out.

Conversion was the difference. Going by simple weight of numbers of possession and inside 50s, we should have won by 5 goals or more.

On another note, the continual walking through of behinds by Hawthorn was pissweak and irritated me beyond belief. I am starting to think that does need to be looked at - it was a blight.

I think i would be too frustrated if i watched it. Plus, if i tried to watch the 07 GF anytime soon id be reminded of this one, although i know as time passes that will change.

I hope after next years prelim the cats sit down and watch this game though. Enough motivation in 5 mins of that game to more than cover the 09 GF.

the club knew he had an injury because he was the O.P victim. so bomber knew and he knew he was risking playing him

the club knew he had an injury because he was the O.P victim. so bomber knew and he knew he was risking playing him

Yes, but Bomber nor anyone else would be aware of exactly how much pain it was causing him and therefore how much he was restricted. it is up to the players to be team-oriented and honest about where they are at. IF Stokes was hiding it, it's not good - and that's IF.

I've lost all respect for Stokes if this is true. Also after him going off at Hawkins (when he kicked a snap and Stokes was in the goal square) ealier in the year screwed with Hawkins taking a shot at goal. He was always looking to pass it off when he should've went back to kick it himself after that.

I loved the little bloke after him pretty much running his guts out and winning us the game 2-3 years back against Port. But since then, eh. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watching the replay before....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back