Opinion Kane Cornes media career thread

Still a club champion? Or journalist shit stain?

• I still think he's alright

Votes: 66 25.4%
  • Total Shit Stain

Votes: 152 58.5%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 42 16.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Trust Schulzen to 'like' that. Patientmental is the angler amongst us.

What i said though is true.....sporting achievements of villains do get underrated.

On SM-A736B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Kane isn't important enough to be a villain & unless you lived in a bubble he wasn't rated that highly by a fair number of the supporter base while he was still playing long before media street.

Line up Wines V Cornes achievement wise

Hell even Boak v Cornes on pure stats and awards

Wouldnt right it off
**** it, remember there will be next to nil that wouldve seen them play and I cant see them going back to watch the footage. Sorry for shit formatting on my phone.

Boak v Cornes

AAs
3 v 2

B and Fs

2 v 4

Showdown and Peter Badcoe medals

6 v 1

Grand Finals

1 v 2

Flags

0 v 1

Games

300 v 350+

Captain

Yes v No

Boak has him just?

Wines V Cornes (granted Wines still at his peak... supposedly)

AAs
1 v 2

B & Fs
1 v 4

Showdown/Peter Badcoe medals
0 v 1

Brownlows
1 v 0

Games
200+ v 300

Captain

Half v No

Grand finals
0 v 2

Premierships
0 v 1

If wines retires tomorrow Cornes has the better resume
Gray will go on a flank or a pocket

At our current rate we might still have less than 5 flags by year 2100, dont discount what rate flags have in these discussions

One of the reasons i want to be really old and see the turn of the century is so i can demand that Kane Cornes doesnt make the team of the century
Yeah, but you'll have to put up with Hinkley's reanimated corpse coaching for its 88th straight year without a GF appearance on the back of being signed up for another 5 years by Koch's head in a jar.

Last edited:

Kane isn't important enough to be a villain & unless you lived in a bubble he wasn't rated that highly by a fair number of the supporter base while he was still playing long before media street.
Ok Jimmy, I'll simplify it for you. If Kane was a more likeable character say like Robbie or Westy then his on-field achievements would be more respected.

A criticism I've heard of Boak is that he hasn’t played in a premiership and crumbles in the big moments of finals. Kane played well in a premiership.

Last edited:
Ok Jimmy, I'll simplify it for you. If Kane was a more likeable character say like Robbie or Westy then his on-field achievements would be more respected.

You don't have to simplify anything to me the point you are making is irrelevant, he wasn't highly rated by everyone (including a coach that tried to bugger him off) well before his media persona was a thing.

*What fukcing world have you been living in if you haven't heard Westhoff criticism?

Last edited:
You don't have to simplify anything to me the point you are making is irrelevant, he wasn't highly rated by everyone (including a coach that tried to bugger him off) well before his media persona was a thing.

*What fukcing world have you been living in if you haven't heard Westhoff criticism?
It's like talking to a goldfish

I think... Everyone, really underrates how good a tagger he was. He was the best. The best ever I reckon. Now you may not rate tagging, fair enough. But he was the best. And he was also good at accumulating himself. Yeah he done nothing with it but he also spent majority of his career playing a directionless gameplan when it came to ball movement.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I think... Everyone, really underrates how good a tagger he was. He was the best. The best ever I reckon. Now you may not rate tagging, fair enough. But he was the best. And he was also good at accumulating himself. Yeah he done nothing with it but he also spent majority of his career playing a directionless gameplan when it came to ball movement.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Behind Ling imo although Kane got more of the footy himself

If two players are close at all the edge goes to the bloke who contributed to winning a premiership. That's the only thing that actually matters to the club.

Whether its fair or not, all of our current playing group have spent their entire careers without any team success (except Lycett & Rioli who did it at another club). If they want to be considered in the all time greats lists, they need to win a flag or three.

Last edited:
Yeah see this is the bit I don’t really understand. Not sure what he does that people, especially port fans find so triggering.

He is pretty biased towards port in the media is that what we don’t like here? I don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Because he is far more biased towards Ken than he is biased towards Port, and will throw anybody under the bus to protect Ken, including members, fans, players and even heroes like Kingsley and Primus.

Even at 0-5 last year he was rolling out the excuses. If you're defending a bloke that isn't bringing success to Port, and making excuses to avoid accountability that isn't helping the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I've posted previously in this thread a lot of people only remember the second half of Kane's career when he was little more than a selfish stats padder.

The saying "you're only as good as your last game" is a load of bollocks but in Kane's case it is the perception in a lot of people's minds.

For the record IMHO he is a sh!t stain.

Kane was good at one thing, and he excelled at it because of his professionalism and determination. He kept himself in the best physical condition possible for that role. He never resorted to some of the more questionable tactics of some others and his only report of his career was thanks to an academy award act from Sam Mitchell. I'm not a big fan of Kane, but credit where it's due.

Kane played 300 games for Port Power and changed his social media handle to "Glenelg Player" when things didn't go his way.
Played an amazing role in our premiership and forged an enviable career through sheer hard work and determination.

The thing about Kane though is that he played for himself over playing for the club. The manner in which he managed his final season, a season we were theoretically in contention for, is a testament to this.

I can understand why some supporters might not rate his achievement.

Having sad all that, I don't mind him in the media.

Kane was enabled by the club in 2015.

'Hey I've got a chance to start a new career and it can't wait'
'Ok Kane well it's in our best interests that you step away from the club asap so we can replace you on the list'
'Ok I understand'
'lol jks do whatever you please we'll give ya games if you want mate'

Both parties to blame for that one.

Kane was enabled by the club in 2015.

'Hey I've got a chance to start a new career and it can't wait'
'Ok Kane well it's in our best interests that you step away from the club asap so we can replace you on the list'
'Ok I understand'
'lol jks do whatever you please we'll give ya games if you want mate'

Both parties to blame for that one.

The club was probably thinking he'd play out the season, yeah?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Kane Cornes media career thread

Back